Author Topic: Calling P-47 experts  (Read 715 times)

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Calling P-47 experts
« on: August 02, 2020, 07:37:30 PM »
Is this a true color photo of Gabby Gabreski and his P-47D-25?

Seems legit to me, but I have seen some colorized photos that look that real as well.

Taken from here: http://www.theworldwars.net/resources/resource.php?r=camo_usaaf 
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: Calling P-47 experts
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 07:43:12 PM »
I have my doubts. Look closely around their heads. The color gets blotchy. Could have also been touched up but not sure.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2020, 07:54:38 PM »
It very well could have been.  I have a print of a D25 that Gabby signed.  It showed upon close examination that the paint would smear and run from weathering and looks to be painted a mottled blue gray over the OD.  The picture you posted could very well be.  The kill markings appears to give me thought that this was actually his aircraft.  This is the aircraft IIRC that he bunged his prop and belly landed while strafing.  He was captured.  Yep......he was a tad to low.  Other D25s of the 56th were painted the same style. David Shillings D25 was painted in the same form with "Hairless Joe" Nose Art.

A 56th D25.  Nose Art of Capt. Cameron Hart.  63rd Squadron signified by blue rudder.

This style camo as the picture you posted.  It'harder to tell on the pic I posted of the D25 but I have a plate of his craft showing the same style of Camo as Gabbys'.   I would be inclined to say Yes...that is Gabbys' P47.  The print shows a yellow rudder on the bombed up P47.  Yellow meant 62nd Squadron.  Red signified 61st squadron which I know Gabby flew with.   We can also see the rudder color on the picture you posted barely visible under the wing and the elevator.  It's red, Gabbys Squadron.  With the kill marks, example of Camo and the red rudder I'd say yep!  That's Gabbys' plane!

« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 08:29:39 PM by Hajo »
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2020, 09:04:51 PM »
It very well could have been.  I have a print of a D25 that Gabby signed.  It showed upon close examination that the paint would smear and run from weathering and looks to be painted a mottled blue gray over the OD.  The picture you posted could very well be.  The kill markings appears to give me thought that this was actually his aircraft.  This is the aircraft IIRC that he bunged his prop and belly landed while strafing.  He was captured.  Yep......he was a tad to low.  Other D25s of the 56th were painted the same style. David Shillings D25 was painted in the same form with "Hairless Joe" Nose Art.

A 56th D25.  Nose Art of Capt. Cameron Hart.  63rd Squadron signified by blue rudder.

(Image removed from quote.)

This style camo as the picture you posted.  It'harder to tell on the pic I posted of the D25 but I have a plate of his craft showing the same style of Camo as Gabbys'.   I would be inclined to say Yes...that is Gabbys' P47.  The print shows a yellow rudder on the bombed up P47.  Yellow meant 62nd Squadron.  Red signified 61st squadron which I know Gabby flew with.   We can also see the rudder color on the picture you posted barely visible under the wing and the elevator.  It's red, Gabbys Squadron.  With the kill marks, example of Camo and the red rudder I'd say yep!  That's Gabbys' plane!

(Image removed from quote.)

Thanks for the info, Hajo.

I was certain the plane was Gabby's, but I'm questioning if the picture is a true color photo or a colorization of a black and white original.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2020, 09:06:41 AM »
Thanks for the info, Hajo.

I was certain the plane was Gabby's, but I'm questioning if the picture is a true color photo or a colorization of a black and white original.

It looks like a planned photo shoot.  The uniforms, the weather etc.  This didn't happen on the spurn of the moment.  Something to consider.  This to me was prepped including a clean P47.

They did use Color Film as you and I discussed earlier in another thread. We'd need a photo expert to decide this.
- The Flying Circus -