Author Topic: July 2020 KOTH Date  (Read 2109 times)

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
Re: July 2020 KOTH Date
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2020, 11:10:08 AM »
Fuzeman, your hosting was impeccable as always <S>. 7pm is definitely much better for me.

I noticed a few new handles participating, which probably caused things to be a bit more chaotic than usual, but nothing too out of the ordinary.

From my perspective, round 2 wasn't quite right because the con closest to me wouldn't west come towards me. Instead he went north towards Lazer, who had just finished a fight making us the last 3.

I actually thought that whoever it was went AFK, so I kept chasing him. When he engaged Lazer I decided that I wouldn't also engage Lazer as it didn't seem right, especially considering he was low-E. Instead I wanted to kill the original con, but couldn't do so because it was high-energy and he kept shooting head-on. By this time he was alternating HO's between Lazer and I. The only way I could have killed him would be to have left myself susceptible to Lazer. So I was engaging, looking for a shot but staying fast to avoid the HO and trying to stay alive while waiting for Lazer to kill him. I recognize that my not shooting Lazer (and announcing that fact) might have been contrary to the rules, so my apologies for any annoyance I caused CM over that.

Eventually Lazer got him but I still had my original advantage, so the round ended pretty quickly. Had things gone as they should have, the original con and I would have duked it out, and the winner would have fought Lazer who by then would have had an energy advantage.

So that's my perspective of what went down. No big deal.

Now for my opinion: Being wabbit sucks. I like KOTH because it's the only venue that promotes 1 on 1s, which is my favourite thing. I am not a fan of the double and triple-teaming that occurs once you've won a couple of rounds. I'd much rather see a rule where no 3rd man in is allowed. Being low-E after a fight is difficult enough to overcome.

I'm not lobbying for a rule change. I get why it is what it is. I'm just complaining and making excuses for why I can never win  :neener:

Thanks again for hosting, Fuzeman. I'll definitely be able to show up more often if the 7pm ET timeslot sticks.

Simon

Yup, no biggy, just bugged me at the time.  Still had fun!  7pm is definately a better time imo.

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2020, 07:46:57 PM »
I never realized that my idea on koth and most of the players who participate in it, whether they have been for years or just a few events, seem to be so far apart.
I’m in whisky tango foxtrot mode. Really better think before I post anything else.
 :headscratch:
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2020, 02:49:57 PM »
OK, here I go. I'm going to describe a hypothetical round and go through what I think of when flying a round as a player, not as a CM. Lets say we've got  about 15 people flying when we take off. I start thinking about separation right from takeoff, along with the players near me and whether I want to be around them or not and the status of any wabbits that need hunting. I make sure I am separated from other players and out of icon distance if possible. I know the CM can't look at every player and make sure they are far enough away from each other. If he did by the time he finished he'd have to start over as the situation can change so fast. If I needed to call a NJ, I'd type it out and say it on VOX 101. { CM Note 1 }  Once fight on is called I'd fly to the closest dot and engage it, meaning get into the fight so much I have a gun solution. { CM Note 2} My target might break hard and make shooting a waste of ammo but I'd get close enough to shoot. I win that round and proceed to the next closest dot or dots on my clipboard. If I lost the fight I would exit promptly and not loiter in the field. If I wanted to watch the fight I'd use CM eye which is exactly why it's enabled there. I would most likely climb to the next fight but not so high that I'm at 5k unless the distance was enough to do it on auto-speed climb. My goal is get to the next fight and not climb to 5k. Once I do get to that fight, same as my first fight, I engage enough to have a gun solution. I don't loiter up above if there are a couple guys fighting. I DO NOT let them fight their fight, it's OUR fight so I get into it. A ladder type event would let them finish but KOTH tests their situational awareness so engage. Rinse and repeat until somebody wins.

CM Notes:1}  I'd say and type NJs so everyone knows about it, there is time as the only guy close to you should be that guy your NJing. NJ time is short because the situation changes so fast. You need to get them in quick.
2} KOTH is a fighting event and you are supposed to be IN or HEADED TO a fight at all times. I see no LOITERING so when I get to the fight, again I engage the fight

KOTH needs the honor system from it's players to survive and be a good event. The most visible aspect of that is bailing a fight if you break the hard cap. We need more of that honor system I think regarding the rules and gamesmanship of the event. Also with new people coming into the event we have to help themand be patinet while they get used to it and be familiar with the rules for us to have the great event that KOTH is.

And I've seen quite a few statements on the time of the event. As I do for most KOTH things I did make a post about the start time a while back and didn't get much of a response.
Time and place for everything.  https://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,398199.0.html
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2020, 11:08:40 AM »
I really wanted to add something to this and I sort of expected a comment, oh well.
For my part I seemed to find myself adrift on a sea of futile speech when I tried to cogitate what to say.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2020, 07:09:31 AM »
Fuzeman

You do a great job running KOTH!

It is great fun for all of us who partake  monthly.

Thanks again for all your support!

<S>

Eagler

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals