Author Topic: How about a bone for the old Dogs  (Read 2535 times)

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
Re: How about a bone for the old Dogs
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2020, 02:57:07 PM »
well you wanna test it. simple prove hitech wrong, pack the ava. pretty sure this in charge there can set it up anyway you want, they have done it before and they can do it again.

imagine only 2 countries and you can change at will. prove hitech wrong.  i challenge you. do it. let's all those who think this will work pack the ava. hell i bet even hitech will change the arena name to 2 country war.

prove your point. make hitech see how he's been wrong all this time.

semp

:rofl

I think i responded while you were typing.  Sorry, that has been covered.  Besides, this these ideas are to improve this game going forward, to the type of gameplay it used to have, and not to satisfy the 4 of you that post here and think there isnt an issue.

Log in a few other times throughout the day, my point will ring a lottle louder then.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2020, 03:02:14 PM »

Oh and some genius  :rolleyes: will also try and make the disingenuous argument of setting up a side arena to test it (or the AvA).  We all know the cattle will not click on anything other than Melee.  We had this argument many times and each time I offered the alternative:

Put the two sided arena in the Melee and setup a side arena labeled "3-sided Test Arena".
If people can't live without 3 sides they will go out of their way to go click on the three sided side arena.
If the Melee empties out and everyone goes to the "3-sided Test Arena", then we have our answer.
I've never found one interested in that test configuration. 

Go figure. :rolleyes:

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2020, 03:05:03 PM »

You forgot, "Stop trying to tell Hitech how to run his business!"

Sadly, the argument I do accept is maybe the assumption of 3 sides is so embedded in the code across modules that it would be infeasible to disentangle it and implement 2-side logic without unacceptable risk and effort.  I could believe that to be the case.  I've worked on projects where base assumptions we made that paint them into a corner.  Sometimes you can't imagine at the start you'd ever want it any other way.

Regards of the fact that Hitech wouldn't want it any other way anyway.  :D

I can see this being true, i have never read that on here though.  Ive heard other reasons however, that dont really add up to me.  Again, these are my opinions, this is a past time for me, i still enjoy it like the couple of people here that think these type of posts are to prove Dale wrong.  They arent, they are the opinion of someone thats been here a long time and want to see the game grow, not fall into a stale pit of the same 50 guys running from eachother for the next 3 to 5 years.

If my opinions are out of line, let me know and ill put a cork in it. 

This is a past time for me, i can enjoy this until the end shooting guys on overshoot reversals, but this opinions arent about me.  They are what about people are going to pay 14.95 a month to play down the road, coming into the game new. 

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2020, 03:14:14 PM »
I dont have a problem with three sides. It gives more options for play, more fronts. The problem is how it has been playing out, 2 sides ganging one, or two sides fighting each other exclusively and ignoring to third team. For one team it is to be ganged or have no one to fight.

If there was some mechanism to force the players to NOT gang, or NOT ignore a team I think it could go a long way in taking some of the frustration out the game. If you log on a see your team getting ganged and you know it will change soon due to this mechanism you would stay logged in. The same would help out with the "side switch" timer. If there are no fights to mechanism would kick in forcing the fronts/fights to change. Players wouldnt need to switch side to find fights as much and the 4 hour  :noid switch rule would work fine.

I know, I know its a "rule" forcing players to play a certain way. The only change is forcing them to hit/work a different front. They can still play with the same planes ENY limiting, fight they same type of fights be it GV, furball, base take, it would just make the action move around more keeping more players involved.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2020, 03:18:27 PM »
:rofl

I think i responded while you were typing.  Sorry, that has been covered.  Besides, this these ideas are to improve this game going forward, to the type of gameplay it used to have, and not to satisfy the 4 of you that post here and think there isnt an issue.

Log in a few other times throughout the day, my point will ring a lottle louder then.

actually it's more like 4 of you who think a 2 sided war is better.  have you played lately? game play has changed a lot in the last few months. i log in and there's a lot more fights than i renember. but of course you can say what about late at night.  well i logged off around 1 am pst. people were still doing they're best to kill each other.

150 yesterday at 7pm pst,  would have been more if you guys stop complaining and play the game. even my wife now wants a computer to play the game.

no way there's only 4 of us having fun.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2020, 03:27:30 PM »
I dont have a problem with three sides. It gives more options for play, more fronts. The problem is how it has been playing out, 2 sides ganging one, or two sides fighting each other exclusively and ignoring to third team. For one team it is to be ganged or have no one to fight.

Two sides or three, I think the game needs more forceful side balancing. Other games do it just fine.  In BF I can't switch teams if that would unbalance numbers beyond a certain limit.  When I log on, it puts me on a side to balance out numbers if too skewed.  I haven't yet died from either.

I don't have a problem with 3 sides in general.  To me I think it is a situational optimization.  With 400 players, 3 sides is great.  It tends to spread the fights around more.  Longer frontage.

With low numbers that is not a helpful thing. With low numbers there might only be critical mass for one great fight on the map and that will be on a front that 1 of the 3 teams probably can't get access to.  With two sides, any fight on the map can be accessed by all players.  With 400 players, there are great fights all over the place.  Plenty to go around.

It doesn't matter though, it isn't going to change.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2020, 04:02:47 PM »
Two sides or three, I think the game needs more forceful side balancing. Other games do it just fine.  In BF I can't switch teams if that would unbalance numbers beyond a certain limit.  When I log on, it puts me on a side to balance out numbers if too skewed.  I haven't yet died from either.

I don't have a problem with 3 sides in general.  To me I think it is a situational optimization.  With 400 players, 3 sides is great.  It tends to spread the fights around more.  Longer frontage.

With low numbers that is not a helpful thing. With low numbers there might only be critical mass for one great fight on the map and that will be on a front that 1 of the 3 teams probably can't get access to.  With two sides, any fight on the map can be accessed by all players.  With 400 players, there are great fights all over the place.  Plenty to go around.

It doesn't matter though, it isn't going to change.

And this may be the biggest problem.     :(

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2020, 04:16:40 PM »

These couple paragraphs sum it up.

Offline ONTOS

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2020, 04:21:37 PM »
No more variants please, just new a new plane or two.

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2020, 04:27:14 PM »
actually it's more like 4 of you who think a 2 sided war is better.  have you played lately? game play has changed a lot in the last few months. i log in and there's a lot more fights than i renember. but of course you can say what about late at night.  well i logged off around 1 am pst. people were still doing they're best to kill each other.

150 yesterday at 7pm pst,  would have been more if you guys stop complaining and play the game. even my wife now wants a computer to play the game.

no way there's only 4 of us having fun.

semp

Believe it or not, there are other time zones in play other than the ones you do.  As of your question of if I play or not,  you can go back and read my posts again.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2020, 04:51:22 PM »
Believe it or not, there are other time zones in play other than the ones you do.  As of your question of if I play or not,  you can go back and read my posts again.

really other time zones? things you learn every day.

as for if you play or not, was wondering if you noticed that game play has changed in the last few months.  a lot more fights than last year, players up in planes and on the ground having fun killing each other.

people talk about hordes as if it was a bad thing.  back in the day when I joined we would have missions of 30 to 40 players, I joined them because as  new player safety in numbers.  i cant even tell you how many times we would have an noe raid and 1/2 way there we would have another coming to our base, it was a slaughter, lol.

I have adapted to play in lower numbers and so have many players, there's not a day that goes by where the text channel is not full of xx killed xx.   it's a lot of fun to log in and see players fighting each other, like it should be.  old timers are leaving but some are coming back with newer players.  my wife has seen me playing for years, now she's interested in joining, she likes to fly bombers, she's getting good at it.  she sits with me while I am in a fighter and show her a thing or two, a few minutes ago told me she wants her own computer to play.

like I said, you want to change the game and prove hitech wrong then prove him wrong the right way, show statistics and numbers.  fill the ava that would be the way to do it.  change the MA  just for the sake of you saying it should be changed may just make everybody logoff, just like when people wanted the night, numbers would drop like flies even back then.

prove your point of view about countries or time switch. I think time switch should be less, but then again, I hardly switch, because it doesnt matter which country I fly, I still have fun.  maybe I adapted and you should too.

semp

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2020, 05:03:22 PM »
really other time zones? things you learn every day.

as for if you play or not, was wondering if you noticed that game play has changed in the last few months.  a lot more fights than last year, players up in planes and on the ground having fun killing each other.

people talk about hordes as if it was a bad thing.  back in the day when I joined we would have missions of 30 to 40 players, I joined them because as  new player safety in numbers.  i cant even tell you how many times we would have an noe raid and 1/2 way there we would have another coming to our base, it was a slaughter, lol.

I have adapted to play in lower numbers and so have many players, there's not a day that goes by where the text channel is not full of xx killed xx.   it's a lot of fun to log in and see players fighting each other, like it should be.  old timers are leaving but some are coming back with newer players.  my wife has seen me playing for years, now she's interested in joining, she likes to fly bombers, she's getting good at it.  she sits with me while I am in a fighter and show her a thing or two, a few minutes ago told me she wants her own computer to play.

like I said, you want to change the game and prove hitech wrong then prove him wrong the right way, show statistics and numbers.  fill the ava that would be the way to do it.  change the MA  just for the sake of you saying it should be changed may just make everybody logoff, just like when people wanted the night, numbers would drop like flies even back then.

prove your point of view about countries or time switch. I think time switch should be less, but then again, I hardly switch, because it doesnt matter which country I fly, I still have fun.  maybe I adapted and you should too.

semp

Im already too far into a thread that didnt need the replies i gave.   

Good luck out there!

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2020, 05:08:26 PM »
No more variants please, just new a new plane or two.

Two weeks.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2020, 06:21:09 PM »
Im already too far into a thread that didnt need the replies i gave.   

Good luck out there!

you didnt seem to be unable to find a fight today.  unless somebody else is playing with your id.  I think you had some fun.

semp

Offline Biggles

• Copper Member
      • Muzak
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2020, 06:26:48 PM »
How about the awesome Avro Anson, and the terrifying Blenheim bomber? Throw in the Fairey Battle, too.