Author Topic: Uncle's friend owns a few WW2 Birds  (Read 1957 times)

Offline ULPink

• Copper Member
Uncle's friend owns a few WW2 Birds
« on: August 08, 2020, 04:37:13 PM »
My uncle has a friend who owns a few warbirds and aNAvy traner jet.  All are 100% restored as new and his friend flies them all.  He has a Spitfire, a P51-D among others.  This P40 he owns, my great-grandfather helped design.  Makes it hard for me to shoot them down in the game =)
Check Six!

Offline Bixby

• Copper Member
Re: Uncle's friend owns a few WW2 Birds
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2020, 04:51:07 PM »
Nice restoration of the P 40. Beautiful aircraft. And still airworthy?

Any way...My Uncle, Lt. Clair Bigelow ,flying a P 40F (Merlin engine) was shot down, bailed over the Adriatic sea and was never seen again. I fly this sometimes in AH and also the A2A P40 inn MSX. I think of him and feel a connection and respect for all the fine young men who served at that time of history.

Bix.

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2020, 07:00:30 PM »
Very nice Mindy, thanks for sharing....any dual-seaters that you get to fly in...like that trainer?

Offline ULPink

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2020, 09:13:35 PM »

Any way...My Uncle, Lt. Clair Bigelow ,flying a P 40F (Merlin engine) was shot down, bailed over the Adriatic sea and was never seen again. I fly this sometimes in AH and also the A2A P40 inn MSX. I think of him and feel a connection and respect for all the fine young men who served at that time of history.

Bix.

Here is the cockpit

Check Six!

Offline ULPink

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2020, 09:17:27 PM »
Very nice Mindy, thanks for sharing....any dual-seaters that you get to fly in...like that trainer?

Apparently there is room to ride in the P-51D behind the seat.  I did not get to see that one he took it for a trip for the weekend.  His wife bought him this trainer for his birthday and I hear he has a Zero he is restoring now.  He also owns and flies that Navy trainer in the background.  That is the plane Navy pilots get carrier certified in.

Check Six!

Offline ULPink

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2020, 09:19:18 PM »
Here is one of his Spitfires...he has a Spit 9 Hanging from the ceiling in his home's foyer.  And yes all of the planes are airworthy, I could not find a drop of grease or oil on any of them anywhere.

Check Six!

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2020, 11:19:49 PM »
That US Navy "trainer" looks suspiciously like an L-39?

Offline ULPink

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2020, 01:05:33 AM »

T-45A I think
Check Six!

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2020, 03:19:48 AM »

Bix.
WOW! Awesome write up,Sir! If you are getting harassed in your "40"...holler at me.

"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2020, 03:30:47 AM »
Here is one of his Spitfires...he has a Spit 9 Hanging from the ceiling in his home's foyer.  And yes all of the planes are airworthy, I could not find a drop of grease or oil on any of them anywhere.

(Image removed from quote.)
AND NOW CONFIRMED..............I am in Lust!!! :rofl He has a Spit and it is a NINE!!????...SWEET!!! I got to see one up close..but couldnt Saddle up n "cock Pit for Pictures  :furious All good! I still love ya DESPITE being Jealous 😜🤣🤷‍♂️😘
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline LNG15

• Copper Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2020, 08:16:38 AM »
That's Tom Duffy's collection. I am impressed. Mindy I swear you must have family in high places lol.
Be Prepared To "Get Lanced!"

Offline ULPink

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2020, 10:00:47 AM »
Check Six!

Offline ULPink

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2020, 10:03:56 AM »

I asked my uncle, it is an L-29!  Painted up like the trainer
Check Six!

Offline ULPink

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2020, 10:04:44 AM »
That's Tom Duffy's collection. I am impressed. Mindy I swear you must have family in high places lol.

Actually Tom Blair.  Found out he sold the P40 =(
Check Six!

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2020, 10:04:58 AM »
Gorgeous planes! That guy is living the dream.  :cheers:
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion