Author Topic: Refine Kills/Time Stat  (Read 3569 times)

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
Re: Refine Kills/Time Stat
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2020, 10:08:33 AM »
Its partly about balance. If you just used total kills, take a la7 or n1k and ho everything in sight and then just reup immediately and repeat

But if people don't avoid dying for Score, why would Total kills cause 'everyone to just ho everything'? 

Who is John Galt?

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2020, 11:33:36 AM »
Huh? I meant the best way to increase score would be to kill as quick as possible.

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2020, 11:40:44 AM »
Scoretards will always be.. yep you guessed it, tards.
Fly, fight, have fun, forget your score, you aren't going use your score to need to move a CV anyway. :old:
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2020, 12:03:47 PM »
Huh? I meant the best way to increase score would be to kill as quick as possible.

I'd make the case that Hoing is not a way to live long. If you die, it takes time to get back to the fight, resulting is fewer kills/Tour if you adopt a ho-ing strategy. So kills-only should not increasing ho-ing.

As for your question (huh?) see my logic above.  :salute

I agree with many that a lot of people the fly to live do so, because dying hurts their ego, or wastes their time. Flying back to the action is much less fun than being in the action.

...And of course some do it for score. I support taking death metrics out of Rank so dying doesn't affect rank. HTC has stated that Rank is not supposed to be a measure of skill.   That makes Kill/Death, Hit%, Metrics that do not promote Action. They promote Cautious flying and picking you fights. 
You could can make a case for Kill/Hour and Kills/sortie promoting action.  But they reward not playing during slow periods.

Who is John Galt?

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2020, 11:05:38 AM »
I fly to kill trees. They are not tallied in score.... at least not that I know of.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2020, 12:28:19 PM »
I'd make the case that Hoing is not a way to live long. If you die, it takes time to get back to the fight, resulting is fewer kills/Tour if you adopt a ho-ing strategy. So kills-only should not increasing ho-ing.

As for your question (huh?) see my logic above.  :salute

I agree with many that a lot of people the fly to live do so, because dying hurts their ego, or wastes their time. Flying back to the action is much less fun than being in the action.

...And of course some do it for score. I support taking death metrics out of Rank so dying doesn't affect rank. HTC has stated that Rank is not supposed to be a measure of skill.   That makes Kill/Death, Hit%, Metrics that do not promote Action. They promote Cautious flying and picking you fights. 
You could can make a case for Kill/Hour and Kills/sortie promoting action.  But they reward not playing during slow periods.

What is the goal of the modification?  If the endgame is to modify player behavior, I don't think modifying scoring will do it.

I'd be pretty surprised if more than 5% (and I'd be shocked if it's over 10%) of peoples' actions in the arena have anything even remotely to do with long term score.  I think most people are concerned with landing a couple kills or bombing whatever they're trying to bomb to advance whatever goal they're working toward at the moment.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2020, 04:27:55 PM »
HTC has stated that Rank is not supposed to be a measure of skill.

When?

Rank is absolutely a measure of skill. Just don't confuse skill with "who is the best pilot", because that is a subjective matter based on what attributes in a pilot you think desirable.

HiTech
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 04:30:08 PM by hitech »

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2020, 07:11:36 PM »
The ability to mix great frozen margaritas.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2020, 07:24:22 PM »
The ability to mix great frozen margaritas.

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 05:43:49 AM by LCADolby »
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2020, 08:44:40 AM »
When?

Rank is absolutely a measure of skill. Just don't confuse skill with "who is the best pilot", because that is a subjective matter based on what attributes in a pilot you think desirable.

HiTech

Pilot All around ability (gunnery, ACM) vs Skill in increasing a rank category are different things. I meant that I feel you have articulated in posts like the one below that you are not interested a metric that tries to measure All around Pilot ability, but are ok with the Skill in increasing the positive pilot metrics chosen in the rank formulation.
I'm gleaning that from the answer below in discussions about whether plane type should factor into score.

For those who wish to score well, the current score system does a very good job at ranking them. People are not forced into any plane, so they can choose what planes they wish to use to score well. The issue is that many people want to use their own Idea of what a "Good pilot" is. But then they want to use the term good pilot generically. A pilot who's gunnery is better may choose a faster non turning plane, simply because that is his best way to turn is skills into points. Other players may be good at SA and wish to use a slower turning plane against multiple bogies because it leverages there skills into score. Why should either of these players be reward or have a detriment for the way they wish to score?

And a 3rd player will not care about score at all, and simply fly what plane he likes for his own reasons. He may not care if he dies, he may crash just to get back to base faster. And hence there really is no way to numerically quantify "SKILL".

So now trying to rank planes to reflect "Skill" when "skill" can not be defined in the first place , would be nothing but folly.

And hence

It would satisfy almost no one, but instead would simply start complaints about how their favorite plane is unfairly rated for the score system.

HiTech
Who is John Galt?

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2020, 09:47:38 AM »
If you're not Shangai then this looks like some rather unhealthy stalking.  :old:

Like you and the BBS  :old:
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2020, 09:50:39 AM »
Like you and the BBS  :old:

Are you flying as Shanghai?

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2020, 09:58:04 AM »
Score should be converted into rank that is reset to cadet each tour

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals