Author Topic: Anti Virus suggestion for Win7 users?  (Read 904 times)

Offline Bixby

• Copper Member
Anti Virus suggestion for Win7 users?
« on: August 12, 2020, 03:41:51 PM »
Still using Wndows 7 Pro. Any suggestions for a third party anti virus program or security.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Re: Anti Virus suggestion for Win7 users?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2020, 04:26:43 PM »
ESET NOD32.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2020, 06:27:42 AM »
ESET NOD32.

Agreed!

I myself, prefer to buy the 10 devices combo pack of ESET Smart.Security (which includeds ESET NOD32 for Antivirus).... and purchase the 3 year license version, which allows one to install it on their Desktop / Laptop computers, Tablets, mobile phones, etc and has extra protection for secured authenticated online banking/credit card/bill paying protection

Not to mention the abilities to go into Advance Mode and tweak settings to your preference...

Been using it exclusively for like 20 years or more....

It has one of the smallest footprints (if not the smallest) on one's system as well......and does not leave bloated unremovable files like most all of the other antivirus software does (ie.... Norton among others, that basically require a formatting of the HD or SSD, to completely remove all remnants of such ill-fated software)

Also, Newegg runs these Promo sales on a consistent basis to where you can pick up a 1, 3, 5 or 10 license copy for 1 to 3 years, with considerable worthy discounts..... Example: 3 copy/3 year license regular price $89.99 to $109.00....but with promotion discount sale price.only cost $19.99 / $29.99 / $39.99 for 3 year licenses all depending on which version one decides to purchase

Good Luck and Hope this helps

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2020, 06:48:44 AM »
Nod32 for years here

What TC stated about discounts

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Bixby

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2020, 10:50:00 AM »
    Sounds like all three of you "Plutonium" members are in agreement.

I will check it out and will watch for a sale on Newegg. I plan on using my self built Win 7 machine for awhile longer as I start to research for a new Win 10 build.

Thanks for the input.  <S> All!

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2020, 04:07:50 PM »
Still using Wndows 7 Pro. Any suggestions for a third party anti virus program or security.

Ditch Windows 7. (It's barely supported.)
Get Windows 10 and Windows Defender is all you need.  Of course it depends on which sites you visit, doesn't it. 

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2020, 04:52:46 PM »
Ditch Windows 7. (It's barely supported.)
Get Windows 10 and Windows Defender is all you need.  Of course it depends on which sites you visit, doesn't it. 

Coogan

Windows Defender only function is to detect older malware, when it comes to new malware detection prevent Defender is absolutely a waste of time.

I prefer Cylance, it's US$49 for 10 devices: https://shop.cylance.com/us?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=cylance.com-nav

Cylance is next gen AV, it operates signature-less and uses cloud machine learning to be very effective (I have seen it make detections on unknown threats that have not appeared in products like MS and McAfee 4-6 weeks later). It has a very small footprint, and is very light on CPU overhead.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2020, 01:34:43 AM »
Cylance may well be one of the best but there's one big difference that makes most of the others a better choice: It's available only in English.

For the OP or other posters on this forum that's not a problem, for the majority of the world it is. Even though English has become sort of a lingua franca, the computer related terminology can be challenging. Heck, most of my customers don't know the basics even in their own language! If there's a warning about the browser add-on of their anti-virus not being active, they call for help. And it's not an old age related thing, I've met people in their thirties suffering from the same. Words like "key" can be very problematic as the common meaning is something related to a lock. "Press any key" - should I lay all of my keys on a board (will a cutting board do?) and press one? And how would that affect my computer???

Similarly, if an anti-virus has extra features like cleaning temporary files and other maintenance tasks the messaging can be very confusing. Are these temp files dangerous? Are they a new threat since the old a-v didn't mention them?

The best anti-virus is the one that does its job in a way you can understand.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2020, 06:07:46 PM »
Cylance doesn't have a very good rating, actually. It's good at threat detection, but doesn't come fully outfitted, like ESET's full Suite.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2020, 01:22:19 AM »
Cylance doesn't have a very good rating, actually. It's good at threat detection, but doesn't come fully outfitted, like ESET's full Suite.
What do you mean by "fully outfitted"?

I took a look at ESET's premium suite and there's only a handful of features that aren't built in into Windows 10, some of the rest being included in browsers. For Win7 they may be worth the price, though, as the built-in security isn't that multifaceted. Also, the modules in ESET seem to be less intrusive than those found in some other a-v suites.

Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2020, 01:51:38 AM »

Don't go by the public tests, you'll see most next gen AV bomb out in them. And there's a very good reason, NGAV doesn't use signatures, so scan detection tests never come back. There are very few tests that can genuinely show NGAV performance.

When using NGAV I'll often recommend users leave Defender on to pick up files passing through. And it's kind of nice defense in depth.

I use Crowdstrike at work, but I'd rate Cylances detection rates better. For remediation processes and integration into SOC/SIEM crowdstrike wins hands down. Different horses for different courses.

I have seen Cylances performance against signature based AV and it is an eye opener. I've also had inside stats in new threat rates (actual vs variants).

Yes eset has a lot of other stuff, but if you want actual good gonna stop the nasty staff you cannot go past cylance. So it depends what your needs are.

If I was going to for top of the line I'd probably go with Sonicwalls Capture ATP client. That leverages a primary engine, ~ 60 signature based secondary engines, and 3 sandbox engines (Sonicwalls own, Lastline, and VMRay).

« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 01:53:21 AM by Vulcan »