Author Topic: Losing sound and joystick control repeatedly  (Read 1434 times)

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
Losing sound and joystick control repeatedly
« on: August 14, 2020, 10:18:53 AM »
First time it happened I had a total red screen just before losing sound. 2nd time I landed, reupped and lost sound. 3rd time same thing. Never had this happen in 19 years.

At which point I lose sound, I also loose joystick control and go into a spin dive for a sec.

Logging out and re-entering Melee solves the problem.

Sorry to post here but this issue needs to be addressed as the game is unplayable for me.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: Losing sound and joystick control repeatedly
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2020, 11:41:37 AM »
How are your controls connected? USB? Through a powered USB hub? Is sound on board the MB or a card?
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2020, 12:49:00 PM »
Joystick T16000 and Logitech headset are connected to a power hub via USB3.0 input on MB

Nothing has changed, otherwise.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2020, 01:16:37 PM »
Look for a sound driver conflict if it happens when a new sound is suppose to start ie pulling trigger, lowering gear

Eagler

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2020, 01:18:39 PM »
How is that done?

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2020, 01:51:06 PM »
I had similar issues last  evening. I lost Throttle and Rudder controls in back to back sorties. Rest of the evening, after I re-calibrated, was fine. I did DISCO 2 times however. All this in the same 30 min or so :uhoh
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2020, 02:11:34 PM »
I have the same stick... and use a g930 headset ... I have had this a couple of times since the windows update... not to the point of having to log out ....
My initial start up after the update...the game didn't find a sound device ... Unplugged the headset and restarted...the only issue I now have is my headset will switch off and restart every now and then...
My stick ....when i lose control I also get a long game pause... I do think it is related to the sound as it only really happens if there happens to be a new sound with a bunch of other sounds going on at the same time... I don't know how to explain it.... having normal sounds of tanks, gunfire, tanks firing, bombs hitting ...and then a new plane/tank/gun fires...new sound enters...

I have gone into settings and turned things on and off...and wiggled the wires....hahaha   seems to have slowed the problem...But I believe it is a PC error from the windows update on my end...

Offline TwinBoom

• Gold Member
      • 39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2020, 03:24:32 PM »
Chris might be your powered hub failing, how old is it?
TBs Sounds 
39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"NOSEART

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2020, 03:40:23 PM »
The red screen usually points to a hardware issue. If it is affecting multiple items like sound and a powered hub, it makes me wonder if the PSU is the culprit.

I kind of hate to add to the list folks have put together already. This is the kind of issue that takes a good investigative effort to find. Usually disconnecting things and checking how it runs without the peripherals attached and such. At least that is how I approach it.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2020, 04:50:16 PM »
Other than being caused by sleep mode issues which can be handled by pressing Shift while shutting down, the latest Win10 version 2004 can cause strange things. If it's still less than 10 days since you've upgraded, you can downgrade to the previous version and suspend the upgrade.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2020, 12:53:44 PM »
Max, please look into your power settings (in the device manager), uncheck ALL USB devices and USB hubs that say "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".
Do the same for all  "Human Interface consumer control devices" that allows the computer to turn them off.

I experienced a similar problem playing in another game, and for me this solved my problem.

My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2020, 01:07:49 PM »
I'll check that out. I think I solved the problem by rebuilding my settings folder...and the Shift restart Bizman suggested. Thanks for the replies all! :aok

Offline lutrel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2020, 11:35:39 AM »
The last Windows update was a real piece of crap, it changed my video scaling and all my mouse settings; had to double check everything to get it back to normal.
Lutrel AkA "Lut"
CO ~Avengers~

Offline flippz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2020, 12:46:28 PM »
But did you water it again?

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2020, 02:38:58 AM »
But did you water it again?
:uhoh Miss ya,Brother! My Niece and Son are playing now!!! They need a challenge!!! :aok
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain