Author Topic: Beaufighter Bombs  (Read 1221 times)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Beaufighter Bombs
« on: August 14, 2020, 01:08:41 PM »
Does anyone have a picture of a Beaufighter with bombs mounted to the wings? I know it is far more likely to find Beaufighters loaded with rockets and/or torpedoes, but it's the bombs I'm looking for.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Re: Beaufighter Bombs
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2020, 01:42:44 PM »
It could carry 2 250 lb bombs externally.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2020, 06:39:17 PM »
Yeah, I had read that they were slung under the wings, but if this is the only location for their mounting then certainly not whilst also carrying a torpedo.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2020, 07:30:51 PM »
Yeah, I had read that they were slung under the wings, but if this is the only location for their mounting then certainly not whilst also carrying a torpedo.

Hard as I looked, I found nothing indicating wing mounted bombs for the Beau. Sorry.

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2020, 06:04:12 PM »
Not hard to find,

Offline Ashley Pomeroy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2020, 02:22:15 PM »
This image at the IWM:
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205126841

is "loaded with two 250-lb GP bombs under the fuselage and two 250-lb depth charges under each wing".

This image doesn't show bombs:
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205219006

But it looks awesome - it's some Beaufighters strafing German ships in the Norwegian fjords.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2020, 06:10:05 PM »
Beau-tiful aircraft!

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2020, 08:12:13 AM »
Bombs were not main loadout on Beaus. They were generally a poor choice for its missions and the Beau is not particularly well suited to be a dive bomber. Rockets served it better as an attack plane vs. land or sea. Torpedo-carrying torbeaus when need a big punch vs. large ships. Depth charges on anti-sub patrols.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2020, 09:30:41 AM »
If I were to guess, if hitech adds the beau, she'll likely have the ability to carry them if she did.  Much like the 51 with rockets AND bombs, kind of thing.
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2020, 10:12:02 AM »
In "Beaufighter at War" in the chapter titled "Coastal Strikes" Norman Carr included an image from the IWM that shows two 500lb bombs slung, and two empty bomb points under the wings (one each). Many of the RAAF combat reports indicate the use of bombs, but they also certainly did their damage with torpedoes. I have a little too much audio work to finish before I can start in on it, but I will be building a Beau model for sure.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2020, 03:26:32 AM »

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2020, 04:43:31 PM »
Now you're talking!  :D