Author Topic: Are You Pissed? He Asks.  (Read 1036 times)

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Re: Are You Pissed? He Asks.
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2020, 10:20:25 AM »
Good read and good reaction to the hemorrhoid tossing the fit.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2020, 10:42:09 AM »
Thanks Streakeagle! 

I’ve been very lucky to have a number positive doors of opportunity presented in my flying career.  There are for sure, military guys who have more heroic “save the day” type stories and many of them have produced books. These stories are the memories that have stuck out for some reason.  When relayed to others, they have brought positive comments and encouragement for more, and you all encouraging the writing of a book.  So, yes, I’ve been printing out each of these and am developing a fairly thick file folder of them.  I have three people who have written books.  When I feel finished with collecting the contents of the future book, they’ll be my sources of “how to”.

Years ago, my God Son asked if I’d heard of this game.  No, what’s it about?  He explained and my interest obviously took hold.  Like everyone new to AH, the learning curve was near vertical and frustrating.  But, once I gained traction, the hook was set.  I immediately loved the teamwork and camaraderie that was so missed from the military flying days.  To this day, that’s my motivation in game, especially with particular players who are like minded. 

So, CHECK SIX! Like shark week, there’s something lurking at your deep six where you aren’t looking.  See ya in cartoon world!  :D :aok :salute
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 11:46:16 AM by Puma44 »

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2020, 11:27:10 AM »
Years ago, my God Son asked if I’d heard of this game.  No, what’s it about.  He explained and my interest obviously took hold.  Like everyone new to AH, the learning curve was near vertical and frustrating.  But, once I gained traction, the hook was set.  I immediately loved the teamwork and camaraderie that was so missed from the military flying days.  To this day, that’s my motivation in game, especially with particular players who are like minded. 

This!^

:salute :cheers:

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2020, 03:38:52 PM »
I forgot to mention this little tidbit I found out later.

When my “screamer” first got to Willie as a FAIP he busted his instructor checkride. Had to do remedial training before the recheck and on to students

Guess who the guy that busted him was? My brother who was Stan Eval at the time. This was about 4-5 years before I showed up.

Another Tweet IP told me that after I had moved on to 38s  Things that make u go hmmmmm
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2020, 04:52:52 PM »
I forgot to mention this little tidbit I found out later.

When my “screamer” first got to Willie as a FAIP he busted his instructor checkride. Had to do remedial training before the recheck and on to students

Guess who the guy that busted him was? My brother who was Stan Eval at the time. This was about 4-5 years before I showed up.

Another Tweet IP told me that after I had moved on to 38s  Things that make u go hmmmmm

Now, isn’t that interesting?  :uhoh

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2020, 05:04:58 PM »
Now, isn’t that interesting?  :uhoh

So Puma, you saw professional flying from both the fighter pilot standpoint as well that of an airline pilot. Is there even the slightest way to compare the "check-rides" that you had to pass? Other than an instrument approach, I can't fathom what would be "standard" or "sub-standard" in a fighter jet.
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2020, 06:28:00 PM »
So Puma, you saw professional flying from both the fighter pilot standpoint as well that of an airline pilot. Is there even the slightest way to compare the "check-rides" that you had to pass? Other than an instrument approach, I can't fathom what would be "standard" or "sub-standard" in a fighter jet.

Good question.  The obvious is “taking a check ride” pressure.   The Tactical Check Ride or, Tac Check, in fighters included the very real possibility of getting killed, where the airline simulator was a pretty safe environment.  The instrument checks were essentially the same; instrument departure, air work maneuvers (except for the AF SEFE who put our F-4E out of control while demoing a high AOA rudder roll) descent, various normal and abnormal instrument approaches, missed approaches, and landing. I was of the philosophy that flying each day like it was a check ride (you know, flying procedurally like we were paid to do) would make check ride day a lot less stressful, and it did.

Then there’s the oral in each environment that could run anywhere from “that was straight forward” to tournament level “stump the dummy”.  I’ve experienced the full gamet of those, as I’m sure you have also.  I’d go back and do each career in a heart beat.  :salute

Offline Bixby

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2020, 10:01:23 PM »
Thanks Puma44. Keep them coming Sir.  <Salute> and thank you for sharing your history.

Get that book published!

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2020, 10:03:53 PM »
Good question.  The obvious is “taking a check ride” pressure.   The Tactical Check Ride or, Tac Check, in fighters included the very real possibility of getting killed, where the airline simulator was a pretty safe environment.  The instrument checks were essentially the same; instrument departure, air work maneuvers (except for the AF SEFE who put our F-4E out of control while demoing a high AOA rudder roll) descent, various normal and abnormal instrument approaches, missed approaches, and landing. I was of the philosophy that flying each day like it was a check ride (you know, flying procedurally like we were paid to do) would make check ride day a lot less stressful, and it did.

Then there’s the oral in each environment that could run anywhere from “that was straight forward” to tournament level “stump the dummy”.  I’ve experienced the full gamet of those, as I’m sure you have also.  I’d go back and do each career in a heart beat.  :salute

To your last statement, I agree but as the cycles of professional flying always swing to extremes, now it seems this pandemic will impact the careers so negatively for so many young pilots.

" I was of the philosophy that flying each day like it was a check ride (you know, flying procedurally like we were paid to do) would make check ride day a lot less stressful, and it did."

My very first day as a young First Officer doing line indoc with one of the finest pilots I ever knew, we had an engine "burp" right at Vr. Your philosophy became mine as well that day and did not change for 37 years.
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2020, 10:07:27 PM »
Thanks Puma44. Keep them coming Sir.  <Salute> and thank you for sharing your history.

Get that book published!

Your welcome Bixby!  Working the book one story at a time.   :aok

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2020, 10:10:59 PM »
My very first day as a young First Officer doing line indoc with one of the finest pilots I ever knew, we had an engine "burp" right at Vr. Your philosophy became mine as well that day and did not change for 37 years.

Interesting.  My new hire classmate and sim partner experienced a blown engine our first month on line.  He couldn’t have been more prepared, just coming out of a couple weeks of V1 cut practice in the simulator.

Occasional, I would fly with a Captain who had his own personalized set of operating procedures because he, was smarter than everyone else in the company.  As a green FO, that made for some interesting challenges as I tried to just get up to speed with the jet.  I always wondered how these guy’s sim checks went when they had to stop using their stylized procedures and do the company procedures.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 10:19:57 PM by Puma44 »