Author Topic: Flight Simulator 2020  (Read 6696 times)

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
Re: Flight Simulator 2020
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2020, 01:43:12 PM »
Just remember Shuff, when playing with the weather settings be prepared for surprises of the brown trouser department

JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline saggs

• Silver Member
      • www.kirksagers.com
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2020, 06:56:49 PM »
Does anybody know where I can buy the physical copy?  I've found reports that they are selling it on 10 DVDs, but every store I check only has downloads.

I've got crappy internet with a 50GB monthly download limit, no way I can download it.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2020, 07:36:22 PM »
Does anybody know where I can buy the physical copy?  I've found reports that they are selling it on 10 DVDs, but every store I check only has downloads.

I've got crappy internet with a 50GB monthly download limit, no way I can download it.

Your best bet is to order a physical copy through Amazon.  Most stores no longer carry physical copies of PC games, and if they do, the selection is usually very meager and out of date.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2020, 08:37:37 PM »
AFAIK there is no physical copy available. Amazon is just selling a product download code. I've read there will be a CD version for the European market but it's not available yet.  The game is designed for a high bandwidth connection while playing but there is a low bandwidth data cap option in game settings. I would look into minimum bandwidth requirements and subsequent tradeoffs before ordering.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2020, 10:47:53 PM »

Check with Aerosoft.

https://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/154700-aerosoft-official-retail-partner-for-microsoft-flight-simulator/

https://www.aerosoft.com/en/microsoft-flight-simulator/

Also: Just checked it out on Bing search and Target.com has the game listed for sale on DVD, but redirects to Digital Download instead of an ordering site.

EDIT: It could be that they will not ship to the U.S. anyway, but I would still try Aerosoft.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 11:02:02 PM by Chalenge »
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2020, 04:14:33 PM »
(I'm thinking of starting a new OC MS2020 topic, with the intention of gaining system specs from those willing to participate, and providing a means of sharing tips for maximizing user experience for those lacking a $5K gaming system  :D

Yay or nay? 

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2020, 05:17:18 PM »

Might want to look into it a fair bit further, if that's your internet situation.  I believe it downloads world data on a regular basis as a matter of normal operation.  IE- the game will be constantly sending large amounts of data to you at all times during play, and it's impossible to download the whole thing (it's gigantic).

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2020, 05:38:48 PM »
It looks nice, but I am not particularly impressed. I have P3d and X-Plane. Out of the box, FS2020 might have some advantages, but with mods they all look about the same. The real issue is performance when the graphics settings are maxed out. I don't see FS2020 having much better performance for similar quality levels. For VR, I prefer Aerofly FS2... looks really good, runs at max fps with max quality settings. You give up a fully populated globe,  multiplayer, and any kind of animation... right down to the static textures for water, but Some of the scenery looks fantastic and some of the aircraft are modeled very well in terms of cockpits/systems/flight models... particularly the helo.

Modded X-Plane vs Stock MFS...for what it's worth.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2020, 08:15:03 PM »
The air currents 'appear' to be a great representation of the real world. I took the Cub Crafters Cub up into the volcano NE of Naga City (RPUN) with wind layers active and it was a very bumpy ride. I would love to test it out with a sailplane, but their not available yet. One thing that I noticed in the return trip was the tower beacon being very obvious, which is a significant help in finding the airfield. That didn't help so much while flying near Hurricane Laura, but I was already unfamiliar with that location anyway. Great fun so far!
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2020, 08:48:15 PM »
The weather is the best bit  :D

JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2020, 01:00:33 AM »
I bought the Carenado Cessna, but it has long been known the sound of the engine is awful (YES, it is). I can't stand to fly the plane because of the awful wailing! So, I tried to look at how to add my own sound . . . yeah, not going to happen. Then I went to their site and there's no way to even offer to help them.

What a mess!

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2020, 05:35:07 PM »
I hope someone has this game.
Let's go fly...

Don't know how VOX works on this thing...

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline streakeagle

• Silver Member
      • Streak Eagle - Stephen's Website
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2020, 07:48:53 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)
Modded X-Plane vs Stock MFS...for what it's worth.

I fly cities I visually know well:
San Diego
San Francisco
Tampa
Orlando
New York

Orlando is one of the designated hand detailed airports for MSFS2020, and it shows, but the area around it including my house is less than impressive. MSFS2020 does have the best implementation of Disney. But other than the airport tower and Disney, I would put the Orbx Orlando mod for P3d up against FS2020.

Because I lived in San Diego and San Francisco as well as flew into and out of those cities, I look for specific details. Orbx for San Diego looks awesome. I have free mods for San Diego for X-Plane that are also very good. Aerofly FS2 has a very good implementation San Diego as well.

I don't care for the way FS2020 implements Manhattan at all. When you get up close, the buildings are very accurate, but as you approach them, the lower level of detail models do not get the famous skyline right at all. New York looks very good in Aerofly FS2, but doesn't have the correct details when you get up close and compare it with actual photos.

The only area that really impresses me out in the ones I have flown in FS2020 is Tampa. I have the best Tampa International mod I can get for P3d and parts of it are very nice in the immediate area around the airport, but FS2020 is the only sim that makes MacDill AFB look anything close to what it should be like and the rest of the surrounding area has the colors and textures it should have rather than some generic FSX or Orbx textures/colors.

The key advantage to FS2020 is that you don't have to buy addons, almost the whole globe is at a level of detail that rivals many payware mods for the other sims. But if you are only interested in specific areas, there are almost always mods for the major locations that will make them look as real as you want including photoreal texturing that rival FS2020 quality, even in some of its best locations. It is just a matter of cost: time to find and install the mods, money to buy some of the payware, and frame rates because aside from Aerofly FS2, all of the sims even FS2020 pay a price for high resolution terrain meshes with his resolution textures and large numbers of 3d modeled objects with decent textures.

For me, Orbx is the benchmark for FSX/P3d/X-Plane terrain/airport mods and they even have some Aerofly FS2 addons. But they are also among the most expensive in terms of money and frame rates. Their TrueEarth line is exceptionally good. FS2020 doesn't really beat the TrueEarth areas at all. The TrueEarth line has a few problems: tremendous hard drive space for relatively small areas compared to the FS2020 option to "stream" the entire globe and inconsistency about which sims are supported. I prefer flying VR and Aerofly FS2 is THE sim for flying VR, but the only TrueEarth release is the Netherlands. Apparently, it didn't sell so well and they haven't released any more Aerofly versions. They did finally release TrueEarth for Florida, which is a big deal for me, but I haven't gotten it yet.

I don't really fly civil sims that much. To be fair, I don't fly Aces High that much, but I have far more hours in Aces High over the years than all of the civil flight sims combined. I own them primarily for the sake of trying out their technology. At least FSX/P3d has VRS TacPack so I can fly F-4 Phantoms and T-38 Talons at nearly DCS World level of systems  modeling with some combat capability. I am not impressed with the VR performance of P3d and X-Plane isn't that much better. FS2020 struggles for performance on flat panels, I presume its VR performance certainly won't be any better than P3d and X-Plane. So, it doesn't really matter too much to me which one comes out on top, just as long as there is competition to keep the tech moving forward and keep the prices as low as practical for the work that has to be done to improve the level of detail when modeling the world.
i5(4690K) MAXIMUS VII HERO(32 Gb RAM) GTX1080(8 Gb RAM) Win10 Home (64-bit)
OUR MISSION: PROTECT THE FORCE, GET THE PICTURES, ...AND KILL MIGS!

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying
« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2020, 08:38:39 PM »
I like it, a lot of fun for just flying around. I also go and buzz the houses of known local airfield protestors.
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Offline Biggles

• Copper Member
      • Muzak
« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2020, 05:48:24 PM »
I bought the Carenado Cessna, but it has long been known the sound of the engine is awful (YES, it is). I can't stand to fly the plane because of the awful wailing! So, I tried to look at how to add my own sound . . . yeah, not going to happen. Then I went to their site and there's no way to even offer to help them.

What a mess!

I "borrowed" the Pitts Special sound folder in order to use its sounds with my converted FSX Gere Sport Biplane in MSFS. It works and sounds great. Just replaced my original sounds folder with the one from the Pitts. Easy Peazy. You should theoretically be able to do the same with your Carenado Cessna. Swap in a few of stock MSFS single engine prop sound folders to see what works for you, after first backing up the original Carenado Cessna sounds folder.  If nothing works just paste the Carenado sounds folder back where it belongs.