Author Topic: HP Reverb G2  (Read 7312 times)

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
Re: HP Reverb G2
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2020, 11:02:16 AM »
Eagler, I use a odyssey+ which is also WMR (same as vive pro resolution i think) and have always had the blur when I moved the headset around.

Been debating upgrading to G2 at some point but sounds like it might not be worth it yet.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2020, 12:39:00 PM »
I will be returning mine for a full refund as though it seems to be a great headset for the price point sadly it is not superior to the vive pro for my vr application

The headset is much tighter and my mr.magoo glasses do not fit as they do in the vive

It also heats up and causes condensation on both my glasses and the vr lenses which does not happen in the vive

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline pelota

• Zinc Member
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2020, 12:45:33 PM »
I will be returning mine for a full refund as though it seems to be a great headset for the price point sadly it is not superior to the vive pro for my vr application

The headset is much tighter and my mr.magoo glasses do not fit as they do in the vive

It also heats up and causes condensation on both my glasses and the vr lenses which does not happen in the vive

Eagler

So it sounds like for the time being, the Valve Index is still king?   I do not know how the Valve Index stacks up vs my Oculus CV-1, but I am sure it is an improvement over my FOV....

-Owl

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2020, 09:06:02 AM »
So it sounds like for the time being, the Valve Index is still king?   I do not know how the Valve Index stacks up vs my Oculus CV-1, but I am sure it is an improvement over my FOV....

-Owl

The Index has the best build quality hands down IMO, and also has a pretty wide FOV, although nothing compared to the Pimax, it's slightly larger than the rest. The G2 Reverb has superior clarity and sweet spot (for most people).  Everyone's eyes are different, there can be very wide swings in opinions due to this, however the majority of users I've seen who have had all the HMDs since the Rift 1, say they feel the G2 is the best HMD right now.  (Based on sim gamers in Il2, DCS, and various racing games).

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2020, 08:56:02 PM »
Sounds like 1 vote for and 1 vote against.. I think if the price drops or if there is a good sale ill be tempted to replace my odyssey+ depending on the return policy

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2020, 07:44:02 AM »
RMA nightmare with the pre order company

Sat on hold for over 90 min b4 hanging up after a previous phone call and email did not produce the promised rma

Still waiting for it..

Eagler

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline streakeagle

• Silver Member
      • Streak Eagle - Stephen's Website
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2020, 08:01:13 PM »
I have the Rift, Rift S, and Reverb G2. My PC is a very old i5-4690K (built in 2014) overclocked to 4.4 GHz with 32 GB of DDR3 RAM and a standard 1080 gpu. The G2 is clearly an upgrade over the Rift S in most ways. The resolution and image quality is unbelievably good.

I am blind as a bat without glasses. Because the lenses have to be so thick, I use the highest index materials available and have the smallest possible frames to get the thinnest lenses. I have worn my glasses without many issues on all three VR headsets, though the original Rift put pressure on my glasses which pressed on the bridge of my nose, causing great discomfort if I flew VR for long periods. The larger sweet spot of the Rift S made it easier to use glasses than the Rift. The Reverb G2 generally fits as well as the Rift S, though I have to be a little more careful to get my glasses and the headset lined up for 20/20 clarity.

I only have a few complaints about the G2:
1) Until I build a better PC and get a stronger GPU, I have to give up frame rate to enjoy the superior image quality in some applications (principally DCS World).
2) The combined Windows Mixed Reality / SteamVR interfaced needed to play flight sims is in many ways a downgrade from the stability and performance of the Oculus app.
3) I see more head tracking errors and glitches in the displayed image such as flashing, tearing, etc. than I ever saw with either Rift.

I do see some advantages to WMR over Oculus:
1) I don't need the VR controllers at all. I can use a mouse in the WMR "home" and it remembers the virtual desktop. With Oculus, I never wanted to use the controllers, especially since they eat batteries even when they aren't being used, but I had to briefly put in a battery to open the virtual desktop every time I started the Oculus app.
2) I can use the voice commands "flashlight on" and "flashlight off" to toggle a small circular pass through window at the center of the field of view. This allows me to see where my rum-and-coke is and operate any controls I am having trouble finding by touch/muscle memory, while still allowing me see the what's going on in the sim. Oculus enables pass-through via a controller button and it covers the entire field of view. I don't have a battery in the controller to use the button and there was no real advantage to just lifting the headset up a bit to peek out compared to the hands free voice commands of WMR.

While the G2 image quality doesn't quite match the experience of playing on a large 4K flat panel, it isn't too far from it. But even if I get a high end cpu and gpu, all that will do is lock the fps at 45 with the kind of quality settings I want. I pretty much had the Oculus locked at 40 gps in sims, but ASW would cause ghosting of the target in a close-in dogfight. The G2 has a lot less ghosting... almost none. But at 30-45 fps, the image can be choppy when turning your head or rolling the aircraft. Aside from the ghosting of the target, the Rift S always looked smooth and natural in ASW. I am hoping a combined PC/gpu upgrade will solve all my problems aside from still being too slow to run 90 fps with high image quality settings.

Whether you already have a Rift S or you are trying to decide whether to buy a Rift S or a Reverb G2, I would go with the G2. Oculus has largely abandoned the Rift S and of course requires you to link a facebook account to use it. The G2 is in most ways superior to the Rift S, and it can only get better as PCs and gpus become more capable and the WMR/Steam VR combination is constantly updated to refine stability, performance, and image quality. Another thing to consider is that the audio and mic on the G2 are way better than the Rift S. But the Rift S isn't too much inferior aside from display resolution and it is probably a better choice for older/slower PCs/Gpus.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 08:04:50 PM by streakeagle »
i5(4690K) MAXIMUS VII HERO(32 Gb RAM) GTX1080(8 Gb RAM) Win10 Home (64-bit)
OUR MISSION: PROTECT THE FORCE, GET THE PICTURES, ...AND KILL MIGS!

Offline WpnX

• Nickel Member
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2020, 10:18:04 PM »
I am liking the Reverb G2 now. Resolution, of course, is the main drawback of any VR headset and this is where the G2 shines... with a very clear view. The sweet spot (focused view in the center) is tighter than my other headset but I've figured it out now and am happy with it (I have only had the Rift S for comparison). Also, audio is pretty good, both mic and headphones, and comfort is way better than the Rift S. Plus, I don't need a facebook account, WTF Oculus? The only problem I had with it is apparently a problem specific to my motherboard/CPU; I've figured it out and have it working perfectly now, so if you have an AMD X570 MB, let me know and I'll tell you how to get it working.
Elvis
The Flying Circus

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2020, 11:14:41 AM »
RMA nightmare with the pre order company

Sat on hold for over 90 min b4 hanging up after a previous phone call and email did not produce the promised rma

Still waiting for it..

Eagler

Wow, that's ridiculous.  You mind me asking who you bought yours from?  There is a guy on the ED forums who has a contact at one of the 2 places in the USA where pre orders were available.

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2020, 11:21:15 AM »
Also, one thing I'd stress that a lot of new G2 owners miss (myself included in this list), is to have motion smoothing enabled in both Steam Vr, AND WMR Vr settings.  You need to have the headset on,  and use your G2 right side controller and hit the menu button, and then click on the smiley face icon on list that comes up, which should open up the WMR settings.  Ensure motion smoothing is ON on this list, as well as in the Steam VR settings.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2020, 11:52:31 AM »
Wow, that's ridiculous.  You mind me asking who you bought yours from?  There is a guy on the ED forums who has a contact at one of the 2 places in the USA where pre orders were available.

Hi Gman

I ordered through this group

https://www.connection.com/

I have now left vocemails and numerous email attempts to get the needed RMA

I blocked the charge on my cc when they tried to push that through

Still no word from them

Plan to try to call them again when I get home and can sit on hold for another hour...

Eagler

Offline pelota

• Zinc Member
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2020, 06:11:02 PM »
Hi Gman

Still no word from them

Plan to try to call them again when I get home and can sit on hold for another hour...

Eagler

On the basis of your feedback, I went ahead and ordered the Valve Index.  Will post once it gets here and I get it up and running.  That said, though, I feel like it could only improve my VR experience, since I am now using Oculus CV-1, which, even now, I am still happy with.  I am really hoping that the wider FOV and better image quality will be worth the money paid for the Valve Index.

Offline streakeagle

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2020, 06:42:40 PM »
Also, one thing I'd stress that a lot of new G2 owners miss (myself included in this list), is to have motion smoothing enabled in both Steam Vr, AND WMR Vr settings.  You need to have the headset on,  and use your G2 right side controller and hit the menu button, and then click on the smiley face icon on list that comes up, which should open up the WMR settings.  Ensure motion smoothing is ON on this list, as well as in the Steam VR settings.

There is a way to get to the SteamVR settings without wearing the headset, but I had already stumbled on to them when I was first learning WMR/SteamVR with the G2 and its controllers. Once you get them set, you probably won't need to mess with them much unless you are using "per application" tuning. The interactive layered onion effect of WMR/Steam VR/in-game settings is pretty thick. Oculus is far more user friendly. But with complexity usually goes hand-in-hand with flexibility and capability. I just wish I could get the hardware I need to fully appreciate the G2 for a reasonable price instead of everything being sold out and/or marked up 100% or more on eBay.

Offline streakeagle

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2020, 06:46:47 PM »
Hi Gman

Still no word from them

Eagler

That whole "connection" way of taking the pre-orders was kind of shady to me. I was pleasantly surprised to see my G2 show up not too much later than the first arrivals. I had ordered before the deadline, but not too much earlier. I have seen where others are still waiting for their pre-order while people have been able to run out and buy them off the shelf ahead of the people who pre-ordered. But despite any marketing/customer service issues as you are having to face right now, the hardware itself seems to be pretty good. I wish the headset was either directly supported by SteamVR or that applications would support WMR directly so that the onion would have one less layer to slow down my pc and cause stability issues.

Online 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2020, 03:44:35 AM »
That whole "connection" way of taking the pre-orders was kind of shady to me. I was pleasantly surprised to see my G2 show up not too much later than the first arrivals. I had ordered before the deadline, but not too much earlier. I have seen where others are still waiting for their pre-order while people have been able to run out and buy them off the shelf ahead of the people who pre-ordered. But despite any marketing/customer service issues as you are having to face right now, the hardware itself seems to be pretty good. I wish the headset was either directly supported by SteamVR or that applications would support WMR directly so that the onion would have one less layer to slow down my pc and cause stability issues.
You are now in VR?????????? watermelon CHIT CHIT!!!! Like "2D" wasnt hard enough...in fighting you!! :rofl VR is a Game Changer!

Just when I think, I am =...using VR...and here you go getting into it!??????????? FML :rofl   Good luck, going back to TIR/Monitor!  :devil  AWESOME TIMES FOR GAMERS!!!
Love ya Brother,
BW1stpar/ULcapkid
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain