Author Topic: Through the Lense - Quest 2 vs Index vs Reverb G2  (Read 3636 times)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: Through the Lense - Quest 2 vs Index vs Reverb G2
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2020, 12:58:51 PM »
Hat views vs VR is a false choice. You can use both.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2020, 01:52:20 PM »

Which is what makes AH3 VR superior to ALL other WW2 VR flight sims I have tried.

In the name of realism they take out hat views and require neck breaking impossible 6 views ruining the game IMO

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2020, 09:32:17 PM »

That's how I  use it.   It makes a huge difference for us stiff old guys.   :old:  I love dogfighting in VR, and after taking a bit to get used to it, I think it helped my gunnery.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2020, 08:24:25 AM »
My sense of where my plane is in 3D space improved alot, but my gunnery accuracy went down. 

The only hat switch views I use to help with VR are Rear and FWD-UP.    Took some getting use to but it sure helps.   

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2020, 08:00:18 AM »
Which is what makes AH3 VR superior to ALL other WW2 VR flight sims I have tried.

In the name of realism they take out hat views and require neck breaking impossible 6 views ruining the game IMO

Eagler

This x 1000.  I should link the two threads I participated in on ED's forums trying to get this idea some momentum in DCS. When HT first implemented the hat view system into VR, I posted that day (maybe the day after) about how important a feature this is, as VR does NOT allow one to use their peripheral vision, something that anyone who is a pilot knows you use (or anyone else for that matter) to look past your 3 to 9 line, so that you don't have to crank your neck and point it nearly directly in the direction you want to see - like VR works at the moment.  You should have seen the howling about how "wrong" I was about VR and this issue, yet for some reason none of the detractors wanted to fly pvp against me to prove it, them in their VR units they claim were "perfectly realistic", and me using trackIR/hat view (which will smoke a VR player every time as it's so much faster and easier to maintain visuals of what your opponent is doing post merge behind you). 

I used every VR unit offered since the Rift Kit, all but the Xtal, right up to the G2 right now, and fly 4 games and 1 racing sim, so don't get me wrong, I really like VR, but other than AH3, it's a massive disadvantage vs TrackIR/hat views in terms of fighting other human players in PVP, due to the above issue.  HT figured out how to have it both ways.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 08:03:09 AM by Gman »

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2020, 05:30:20 PM »
Before the Oculus came out, I used to use VR with AH with a scaled view, like 90:120  (look 90 degrees to left/right gives you a view at 120 degrees). That worked nicely.

IIRC (it's been a while, it was in AH2 days), I used facetracknoir which took various tracker sources (including Rift DK1 and DK2) and turned them into an emulated trackIR output.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 05:35:03 PM by Vulcan »

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2020, 09:00:26 AM »
This x 1000.  I should link the two threads I participated in on ED's forums trying to get this idea some momentum in DCS. When HT first implemented the hat view system into VR, I posted that day (maybe the day after) about how important a feature this is, as VR does NOT allow one to use their peripheral vision, something that anyone who is a pilot knows you use (or anyone else for that matter) to look past your 3 to 9 line, so that you don't have to crank your neck and point it nearly directly in the direction you want to see - like VR works at the moment.  You should have seen the howling about how "wrong" I was about VR and this issue, yet for some reason none of the detractors wanted to fly pvp against me to prove it, them in their VR units they claim were "perfectly realistic", and me using trackIR/hat view (which will smoke a VR player every time as it's so much faster and easier to maintain visuals of what your opponent is doing post merge behind you). 

I used every VR unit offered since the Rift Kit, all but the Xtal, right up to the G2 right now, and fly 4 games and 1 racing sim, so don't get me wrong, I really like VR, but other than AH3, it's a massive disadvantage vs TrackIR/hat views in terms of fighting other human players in PVP, due to the above issue.  HT figured out how to have it both ways.
I had this exact reaction from the "realism" crowd when I suggested this in IL2 for all of the same reasons you listed. I just assumed all these guys really weren't so much into realism as they were into not losing the clear advantage TIR was giving them vs the wave of VR users. Like history repeating itself from when TIR came out!

The hilarious thing is one of the threads I posted in was actually about extending the FOV in VR by using third party software and another controller just to shift the view a bit. I asked why they'd all want to jump thru 17 flaming hoops to do this when you could just allow the hat switches to work? No crazy stuff to set up and it's already in the game. (we here in AH know this works perfectly) They were like... "Why would we go back to hat switches?" When of course they were doing exactly that... Only harder! That thread is still active. I check it from time to time just shaking my head. One of the programs they were using recently had an update that screwed many of them up. Lol.

The easy can be so hard for some to grasp.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2020, 11:59:24 PM »
As a new quest 2 owner I kind of understand their gripe but their frustration is misdirected. You spend $500 on a contraption that was supposed to make view keys obsolete only to be told that to be competitive you’ll need to go back to using hotas views.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2021, 06:28:20 AM »
FLOOB - you don't have to use it. If you're young and twisty enough - you can check 6 using your head :) My neck can't handle that :D

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2021, 07:56:02 AM »
FLOOB - you don't have to use it. If you're young and twisty enough - you can check 6 using your head :) My neck can't handle that :D
Agreed! It'd be great if you could adjust the tracking in VR like TIR with curves and expand the range of view but as it is you only get a 1:1 option with all the headsets. If you're into the whole realism thing and have a 17 year old neck that's good for you. As my sixties are bearing down not so much for me! Very thankful for AH having the hat views to extend the range. My neck is thankful, I should say! And as I've been doing this long enough I'm not that far removed from when hat views were the only way to look around so using them isn't totally foreign.

I also play IL2 and they don't allow hat views with VR in that game. That whole realism thing. Literally having to kill yourself to see out behind you takes away from the experience making it a lot less fun. And it damned well hurts after a while! Thankfully, about a month ago, another player there who has the same issue has come up with a little program that works outside of the game in SteamVR that extends the range of view with either a hat press (like in AH) or by exceeding a certain point left or right. It does it automatically almost like TIR in that mode. How much range gets added and when is totally configurable. Appropriately called NeckSafer. Game changer for VR there. Says he has it working for DCS too.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group