Author Topic: Bail Out, No Chute  (Read 2289 times)

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
Bail Out, No Chute
« on: August 26, 2020, 10:06:46 AM »
Recently, when bailing out successfully, the chute won’t open when commanded.  Yes, I’ve gone through ALL of my devices and confirmed that “Open Chute” is only programmed to one place, a switch on my Warthog Thrustmaster.  I’m getting really bruised up from hitting the trees and bushes so hard.  Ideas?

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: Bail Out, No Chute
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2020, 10:15:44 AM »
Did you test the switch? 

Does the chute open if you press O on the keyboard?

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2020, 10:46:35 AM »
What, we have chutes?

Puma are you using one switch for bailing and another for opening the chute, or are you using a macro on one switch?

:salute
Sik
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2020, 02:54:23 PM »
Did you test the switch? 

Does the chute open if you press O on the keyboard?

Yes, the switch tests OK.  Cycling it from off (aft) to activate (fwd) turns the ChuteOpenChute in the controller input page (Mode 4=Bombardier & Chute)  from yellow to green.

Yes, pressing “O” on the keyboard opens the chute.

What, we have chutes?

Puma are you using one switch for bailing and another for opening the chute, or are you using a macro on one switch?

Sik

Yes, we have chutes and I attempt to use mine far too many times.

I have two separate toggles switches on the Warthog Throttle console, one for cycling three times to bail out and the other for opening the chute.  Both switches test normal(cycle yellow to green) in the Controller Input Menu.

You asked about a Macro.  No, I don’t have one set up.  In fact, I’m not familiar on how to do that.  But, I’m interested in “How To”.   I’d much rather have a single switch throw to accomplish bailout and open chute.

Now, for the weird thing.  I’ve just spent 30 minutes testing offline and online in various fighters and bombers.  The bail out switch and the open chute switch are now operating normally.  Yesterday, in Matchplay one of those pesky AIs got the better of me, I bailed out, and the chute wouldn’t open.  Very frustrating over the last couple of weeks.

So, there’s something about asking for help that appears to have fixed the issue, whatever it was.  One thing I accidentally discovered was that if I leave the ”Open Chute” switch in the forward (activate) position, the chute opens immediately after cycling the Bail Out switch three times (sort of a Macro, I guess).

Sik1, if you’ve got guidance on how to program a one switch throw macro, I’m definitely interested.

Thanks for the help, Gents!  I appreciate it.  :salute
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 04:09:53 PM by Puma44 »

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2020, 04:12:58 PM »
Classed among the not likely possibilities; is the command programed for all 4 AH modes and when using anything but the fighter mode? That AH auto switch modes had bitten me plenty of times. Now I must remember to call up the correct mode manually every time I switch between fighter, GV, gunner, bomber.

:cheers:
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2020, 04:20:01 PM »
Classed among the not likely possibilities; is the command programed for all 4 AH modes and when using anything but the fighter mode? That AH auto switch modes had bitten me plenty of times. Now I must remember to call up the correct mode manually every time I switch between fighter, GV, gunner, bomber.

:cheers:

Good point.  That was my thought when I checked fighters and bombers (2-3 of each type) today.  Over the weekend, I reviewed all the modes in the event a gremlin programmed an inappropriate position.  I’ll do a second look through to confirm.

It’s quite perplexing that Open Chute didn’t work yesterday and today it does.  But, W10 was finalizing an update when I turned the computer on today.  Should be unrelated but, who knows?

I also have Voice Command installed and use it when I can remember to turn it on.  The Open Chute issue has occurred without Voice Command turned on.

Thanks for the idea!  :salute
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 04:24:15 PM by Puma44 »

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2020, 05:00:13 PM »

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2020, 05:45:26 PM »
Puma, you would have to do a macro in the T.A.R.G.E.T. software, or what ever Thrustmaster is using now for programming their sticks. I wouldn't be any use with that since I haven't used the target software in years, and no longer own any Thrustmaster sticks.

Sik

444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2020, 07:16:32 PM »
Thanks SIK!  It’s not a huge deal.  Leaving the Open Chute switch in the “Activate” position is a good alternative.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2020, 08:56:58 AM »
If you leave the switch on it's sending a continuous data stream. Best to leave it off.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2020, 11:00:29 AM »
Good point.  With what I’ve described so far, any idea why the “Bail Out” wasn’t working for a couple of weeks, then the next day, with no intentional changes, started working normally?

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2020, 11:47:53 AM »
No idea why that happened but I would be sure to have it mapped in mode 1.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2020, 11:51:04 AM »
No idea why that happened but I would be sure to have it mapped in mode 1.

Me neither.  It is.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2020, 09:01:19 PM »
Well, a new day, no changes by me, or Windows updates, and the “Chute Open” function is inop again.  In the controller input page, the “Open Chute” cycles from yellow to green but, the chute doesn’t open.   :O

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2020, 09:13:31 PM »
Does using O on the keyboard still work when the switch fails?

At this point I would try remapping the switch and then try a different switch.