Author Topic: Intercepting a Bomarc  (Read 1366 times)

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
Re: Intercepting a Bomarc
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2020, 01:50:19 PM »
No, we’re different Six drivers.  His experiences were a few years before mine.  But, members of a proud fraternity.

I thought so but figured I’d clarify.

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2020, 03:52:17 PM »
I just finally got a chance to read this excerpt from the book. Another great read.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2020, 05:26:33 PM »
Thanks for another great piece of your history Puma. Again you remind me of what I missed never having any experience in fighter jets. Highest I ever flew was a Lear at F510 and it felt like crap. Thrust and wing just barely adequate. Never took it over F450 after that.
I wonder - did the years you spent in the 737 series (not sure if you flew other transport jets) not feel a little sluggish?
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2020, 08:01:49 PM »
<snip>
I wonder - did the years you spent in the 737 series (not sure if you flew other transport jets) not feel a little sluggish?</snip>

Only when he tried to roll them.  :rofl
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2020, 09:16:30 PM »
Thanks for another great piece of your history Puma. Again you remind me of what I missed never having any experience in fighter jets. Highest I ever flew was a Lear at F510 and it felt like crap. Thrust and wing just barely adequate. Never took it over F450 after that.
I wonder - did the years you spent in the 737 series (not sure if you flew other transport jets) not feel a little sluggish?

You remind me of an interesting observation.  We routinely cruised the F-106 cross country at 45,000 feet or higher at Mach .92-94.  At those altitudes, the only civilian aircraft I ever saw higher was a Lear Jet. 

The 737, although a “heavy” in comparison, was reasonably responsive.  The -200 was widely acknowledged as the best hand flying of them all.  The 737 roll rate could be improved by cracking the spoilers slightly.  Not an approved or accepted procedure but, if deployed slightly and forgotten, roll rate was impressive when a roll input was made.  The 737, like any airliner, is less responsive at higher altitude.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2020, 09:18:31 PM »
Only when he tried to roll them.  :rofl

It actually does a fairly responsive aileron roll, in the simulator. :D

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2020, 12:15:35 PM »

Did Puma44 ever intercept regulus missiles?

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2020, 12:31:56 PM »
Did Puma44 ever intercept regulus missiles?

No

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2020, 04:17:33 PM »
You remind me of an interesting observation.  We routinely cruised the F-106 cross country at 45,000 feet or higher at Mach .92-94.  At those altitudes, the only civilian aircraft I ever saw higher was a Lear Jet. 

The 737, although a “heavy” in comparison, was reasonably responsive.  The -200 was widely acknowledged as the best hand flying of them all.  The 737 roll rate could be improved by cracking the spoilers slightly.  Not an approved or accepted procedure but, if deployed slightly and forgotten, roll rate was impressive when a roll input was made.  The 737, like any airliner, is less responsive at higher altitude.

When you were cruising the 106 for extended cross-countries, did the airplane have any automation or were you hand flying the entire time? Also, what sort of ferry range did it have?
Thanks
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2020, 05:06:11 PM »
When you were cruising the 106 for extended cross-countries, did the airplane have any automation or were you hand flying the entire time? Also, what sort of ferry range did it have?
Thanks

It had a very good auto pilot that would connect with an internal data base.  Most guys would fly cross country with the auto pilot.  Long range cruise was done at .88 Mach.  We usually didn’t (never) cruise that slow.  Normal flight plan was at 540 knots TAS/.93 Mach.  Six pilots at McChord (Tacoma, Wa.) could fly nonstop to Tyndall, Fl unrefueled.  Typically, we would climb straight to 39,000 ft and cruise until the drop tanks were empty, then climb to 45,000 or higher for the remainder of a trip.  So, it could fly from one corner of a high IFR chart to the opposite corner unrefueled.  On most long trips, refueling tankers were scheduled just to fill those required training squares.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2020, 09:39:28 AM »
An interesting pilot’s eye view flying the “Six”.  Plus, good shots of the AIM-4 and Genie launching.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2020, 11:17:58 PM »
An interesting pilot’s eye view flying the “Six”.  Plus, good shots of the AIM-4 and Genie launching.

Kind of scary.  Women glueing the wings together with Scotch tape...64 pound wing spars...beehive references...constructed by SoCal hippies...

You're lucky to have escaped with your life!  Congrats Puma!

- oldman