Author Topic: Dumping Fuel  (Read 3582 times)

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
Dumping Fuel
« on: August 28, 2020, 07:45:13 AM »
Hello,

If WWII aircraft had the ability to dump fuel while in flight - I think it would be a good feature to add.

EDIT: Perhaps via a percentage.  Example: Dump Fuel <Dropdown Listbox>  List options: 75%, 50%, 25%, 10%.
        If that is too hard, maybe just a HotKey combo.

EDIT 2: Even easier, a HotKey that dumps 10% every time you key it.

Thank you,  :salute

Slade
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 08:35:40 AM by Slade »
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Re: Dumping Fuel
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2020, 08:46:32 AM »
Best of my knowledge, WWII fighters, by and large, did not have a fuel dump capability short of releasing a drop tank. However, if any community possesses members that know otherwise, this one does (and they will make a point of suggesting the fact was easily obtained).  :old: :D

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2020, 10:42:03 AM »
Why do you want to dump fuel?

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2020, 10:45:46 AM »

Only thing I can think of is so they can have more fuel for longer loiter time, then dump to "fighting weight" to gain advantage when they find an enemy.

Not a fan of it myself.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2020, 10:50:21 AM »
Well, one could up with half or quarter fuel load and a drop tank (or two). Seems pretty much the same thing.  :old:

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2020, 11:00:31 AM »
I've always wanted to have the option to fuel dump (much like I do with ammo) more in times of emergency than a fighting advantage.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2020, 11:23:12 AM »
Only thing I can think of is so they can have more fuel for longer loiter time, then dump to "fighting weight" to gain advantage when they find an enemy.

Not a fan of it myself.

Wiley.

Should have quoted.  Interested in why Slade wants to dump fuel.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2020, 11:59:50 AM »
Well, one could up with half or quarter fuel load and a drop tank (or two). Seems pretty much the same thing.  :old:

You lose a few mph top speed on a lot of aircraft if you do that, plus you've got the additional drag on climbout.  But yeah, it's pretty similar.

I've always wanted to have the option to fuel dump (much like I do with ammo) more in times of emergency than a fighting advantage.

What constitutes an "emergency"?  Dead stick?  How much glide do you gain dumping ammo? :joystick:

Regardless, dumping so they could fight better is how a ton of people would use it.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2020, 01:35:10 PM »

What constitutes an "emergency"?  Dead stick?  How much glide do you gain dumping ammo? :joystick:

Regardless, dumping so they could fight better is how a ton of people would use it.

Wiley.

An Emergency that means staying inflight is difficult/unassured; fuel tank leak, oil leak, radiator leak, engine outage, large surfaces such as a blown off wing tips.

Depending on altitude it could be hundreds of yards, losing weight for a longer glide can potentially help a combat ineffective aircraft make a runway.

People already do similar by the use of Drop tanks, though the option of DTs are not available to all aircraft..
The ability to fuel dump would even that playing field, if you insist to go down that avenue of debate.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2020, 01:48:31 PM »
Point being, most WWII aircraft would take max internal fuel plus drop tanks on long flights.  In reality, can’t imagine intentionally taking off with a partial fuel load in order to out fly the opposition and risk running out of fuel in the heat of battle, making the kill for the opposition.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2020, 01:50:19 PM »
No offense meant but the 'leveling the playing field for planes that don't have drop tanks' argument doesn't sell me anymore than 'level the playing field by giving all aircraft the same type and amount of ammo' argument would. Alas, WWII fighters didn't have a 'fuel dump' option.

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2020, 01:53:26 PM »

Make the plane lighter and more effective should an unplanned red object appear. 

I thought I'd seen a few WWII youtube vids that showed planes dumping fuel for various reason.  I could be wrong though.

Thank you,  :salute

Slade
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2020, 01:54:33 PM »
Point being, most WWII aircraft would take max internal fuel plus drop tanks on long flights.  In reality, can’t imagine intentionally taking off with a partial fuel load in order to out fly the opposition and risk running out of fuel in the heat of battle, making the kill for the opposition.

A difference between events and the MA. Taking off with half or quarter tanks while opposing planes vulch your field has very much been an element of the MA from the start (though not always the wisest).

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2020, 01:56:50 PM »
Make the plane lighter and more effective should an unplanned red object appear. 

I thought I'd seen a few WWII youtube vids that showed planes dumping fuel for various reason.  I could be wrong though.

There may be one or some where they're leaking fuel but fuel dumping seems very much a modern airliner/jet cargo thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_dumping

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2020, 02:20:31 PM »

I wonder if some would even try it to produce a vapor trail when they get saddled up.  :O