Author Topic: CPU - Mobo recommendations  (Read 561 times)

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
CPU - Mobo recommendations
« on: August 30, 2020, 04:31:12 PM »
Given a budget of $500 - 600 what would you suggest for a 6-8 core CPU and compatible mobo? Can be Intel or AMD. Please provide your reason for your choices. Gracias.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: CPU - Mobo recommendations
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2020, 05:23:59 PM »
what about ram and cpu cooler?

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2020, 05:52:30 PM »
32 GB of DDR4 and a Cooler are in another budget category but recommendations are welcome.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2020, 02:33:28 AM »
The choice depends on what you're going to do with those. For most games an AMD Ryzen 3 3100 or 3300X are plenty good enough with a price tag well below $150.

Based on the "ideal" settings for MSFS2020 the sky is the limit. Should they ever make a Space Flight Simulator, the limit would be raised to infinity and beyond.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2020, 05:40:03 AM »
The choice depends on what you're going to do with those. For most games an AMD Ryzen 3 3100 or 3300X are plenty good enough with a price tag well below $150.

Based on the "ideal" settings for MSFS2020 the sky is the limit. Should they ever make a Space Flight Simulator, the limit would be raised to infinity and beyond.

Actually, there is quite a bit of leeway in graphical settings, and data usage that can make FS2020 flyable even on SLI 980s. Still, your point is well made that even an RTX 2080 TI not a peak performer on Ultra settings. I suspect that at 4k the graphics card has not been made that could handle the game at Ultra settings. I would even recommend that the O.S. be installed on an NVME system and largest/fastest SSD available for the game (although whether the game works better on a properly optimized RAID has not yet been established, it would seem unlikely). When I installed the game the last stop was a setup of something like a "peak" file, which I allowed onto my boot SSD. That same SSD then filled up to about 90% capacity, and so I had to migrate/clone the system drive to a larger SSD. If they weren't so bloody expensive, and not really useful for some games I might just eliminate all of the hard drives.

If the trend of FS2020 keeps up to its logical conclusion we're all going to know what it means to have Petabyte drives worth of data.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.