Author Topic: Air force one.  (Read 3796 times)

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
Re: Air force one.
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2020, 11:23:29 AM »
I find it funny that hitech was merely asking a question in regards to the aircraft being an alternate Air Force One, and it almost immediately turned into a political fluster cluck.

In a way, he's found some fish he can hang for a week or two. :devil
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2020, 12:23:02 PM »
this is why we cant have nice things.

i like planes.

:salute

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2020, 01:04:09 PM »
I find it funny that hitech was merely asking a question in regards to the aircraft being an alternate Air Force One, and it almost immediately turned into a political fluster cluck.

In a way, he's found some fish he can hang for a week or two. :devil

That was my INterpretation also.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2020, 05:59:09 PM »
Question asked. Question answered. Motivation and method be damned. Zip it.

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2020, 06:11:06 PM »
just confused if any new news org becomes the most watched, won't it become msm?

semp

never mind just looked it up, it becomes Methylsulfonylmethane

It becomes a daily dietary supplement  :rofl
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2020, 06:11:54 PM »
That was my INterpretation also.

Puma, this thread is likely locked before we can discuss this more but I had some thoughts about the 89th Airlift Wing.
You obviously preferred the "go fast" division of the Air Force. Maybe you could enlighten us all as to whether you ever thought about the "heavy" side of the Force and indeed, do pilots ever move between the divisions once their initial training is complete.
Also, would you have any idea how often the pilots in the Airlift section get to fly and how many hours a month or a year they might possibly log? I am sure you know where I am going with this. When you joined the airline, I imagine you began logging hours at the 80 per month rate. That was likely supplemented with at least four 4-hour simulator sessions a year? Plus possibly 4 days of re-current groundschool? All that assures a very current and well trained pilot group on each type.
The obvious question.... the VC25 (B747) doesn't fly daily. How does the assigned pilot group stay current? And I hope they are only assigned one type at a time?
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2020, 06:32:31 PM »
Great question.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2020, 09:01:07 PM »
Puma, this thread is likely locked before we can discuss this more but I had some thoughts about the 89th Airlift Wing.
You obviously preferred the "go fast" division of the Air Force. Maybe you could enlighten us all as to whether you ever thought about the "heavy" side of the Force and indeed, do pilots ever move between the divisions once their initial training is complete.
Also, would you have any idea how often the pilots in the Airlift section get to fly and how many hours a month or a year they might possibly log? I am sure you know where I am going with this. When you joined the airline, I imagine you began logging hours at the 80 per month rate. That was likely supplemented with at least four 4-hour simulator sessions a year? Plus possibly 4 days of re-current groundschool? All that assures a very current and well trained pilot group on each type.
The obvious question.... the VC25 (B747) doesn't fly daily. How does the assigned pilot group stay current? And I hope they are only assigned one type at a time?

Moving between fighters and heavies was and probably still is near impossible.  I met a guy in the Six days who started out as a KCM-135 pilot at Griffins AFB.  To this day I don’t know how he did it but, he wrangled a cross command transfer (SAC to ADC) to the F-106 squadron on base as a T-33 pilot.  His story gets even more bizarre.  He was flying a TBird from Griffiss to Loring AFB with a Flight Surgeon in his pit, carrying a part for a broken F-106 at Loring.  During cruise, the TBird engine exploded and they both ejected with no injuries.  The accident investigation determined that the engine experienced a materiel failure.  No pilot fault. 

Time marches on and he’s selected for upgrade to the F-106, goes to school, returns, and starts sitting alert.  On a flight to Loring to sit alert, he experiences a massive engine failure, ejects successfully, and you guessed it; materiel failure.  No pilot fault.

Time continues to march on, the F-106s are starting to phase out and be replaced with F-15s.  He wrangles an assignment to Alaska.  One day flying his Eagle to somewhere, his jet has a catastrophic engine failure.  It was so bad that it also killed the good engine.  He ejects successfully.  Again, it’s ruled a materiel failure.  No pilot fault, again!

It’s very rare for a military pilot to eject from one aircraft during a career, let alone three. The joke was that if he ejected two more times, he’d be the first peacetime ace.

No, I never considered crossing over to heavies.  Way too much fun flying fighters. 

To your question about the Andrews crews.  I’m pretty sure they only fly one Type aircraft, similar to the airlines, due to the complex nature of the jets.  I’m not sure how they maintain currency.  Maybe simulators?  AF One seems to spend a lot of time on the road.  So, they may be in relatively good shape for currency.  A great question though. 

The 80-100 hours a month in the airlines builds time more rapidly than the 12-15 hours a month I averaged in fast movers.  In my first assignment as a T-33 driver I averaged 40-50 hours a month and could easily push that to 60+ by going on weekend cross countries.

The 89th is definitely a unique flying unit.  It would be most interesting to talk with someone who has flown there.

Hope I answered your questions.   :salute

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2020, 09:07:32 PM »
Equally good answer.  :old: :)

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2020, 09:50:24 PM »
thanks so much Puma. I am aware that all fighter pilots get a "handle" and I am guessing yours might have been "Puma"? And logically the gent with all the engine failures must have been "Jinx"?
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2020, 11:01:50 PM »
thanks so much Puma. I am aware that all fighter pilots get a "handle" and I am guessing yours might have been "Puma"? And logically the gent with all the engine failures must have been "Jinx"?

Puma 44 is my first dedicated operational callsign.  Those in fighter squadrons have a “Tactical” callsign typically based on something embarrassing, humiliating, or some other gee wizz occurance.  Sometimes, just a teaser based on the pilot’s name.  Tactical callsigns are used in place of first or last names in a tactical environment for security purposes.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2020, 05:51:16 AM »
This thread has become an interview with the author of a upcoming book .

Must read material.....    :aok
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2020, 07:58:58 AM »
Moving between fighters and heavies was and probably still is near impossible.  I met a guy in the Six days who started out as a KCM-135 pilot at Griffins AFB.  To this day I don’t know how he did it but, he wrangled a cross command transfer (SAC to ADC) to the F-106 squadron on base as a T-33 pilot.  His story gets even more bizarre.  He was flying a TBird from Griffiss to Loring AFB with a Flight Surgeon in his pit, carrying a part for a broken F-106 at Loring.  During cruise, the TBird engine exploded and they both ejected with no injuries.  The accident investigation determined that the engine experienced a materiel failure.  No pilot fault. 

Time marches on and he’s selected for upgrade to the F-106, goes to school, returns, and starts sitting alert.  On a flight to Loring to sit alert, he experiences a massive engine failure, ejects successfully, and you guessed it; materiel failure.  No pilot fault.

Time continues to march on, the F-106s are starting to phase out and be replaced with F-15s.  He wrangles an assignment to Alaska.  One day flying his Eagle to somewhere, his jet has a catastrophic engine failure.  It was so bad that it also killed the good engine.  He ejects successfully.  Again, it’s ruled a materiel failure.  No pilot fault, again!

It’s very rare for a military pilot to eject from one aircraft during a career, let alone three. The joke was that if he ejected two more times, he’d be the first peacetime ace.

No, I never considered crossing over to heavies.  Way too much fun flying fighters. 

To your question about the Andrews crews.  I’m pretty sure they only fly one Type aircraft, similar to the airlines, due to the complex nature of the jets.  I’m not sure how they maintain currency.  Maybe simulators?  AF One seems to spend a lot of time on the road.  So, they may be in relatively good shape for currency.  A great question though. 

The 80-100 hours a month in the airlines builds time more rapidly than the 12-15 hours a month I averaged in fast movers.  In my first assignment as a T-33 driver I averaged 40-50 hours a month and could easily push that to 60+ by going on weekend cross countries.

The 89th is definitely a unique flying unit.  It would be most interesting to talk with someone who has flown there.

Hope I answered your questions.   :salute
Cool story Puma - I live on Griffiss, or what used to be.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2020, 08:35:31 AM »
Cool story Puma - I live on Griffiss, or what used to be.

Spikes, what’s happening there now?  What kind of use?

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2020, 10:31:28 AM »
Spikes, what’s happening there now?  What kind of use?

From what I've read, much like Reese, it went through a base closure and has been, by and large, repurposed by the community as a corporate and technology center. Spikes could give more detail, as a resident.  :salute