Author Topic: Increase fuel burn  (Read 1957 times)

Offline haggerty

• Silver Member
      • Facebook
Increase fuel burn
« on: September 06, 2020, 12:28:07 PM »
Currently fuel is never an issue, the investment to hit the refinery and then the base fuel depots does not bring nearly enough reward.  At worst you get planes down to 75% fuel load.  With the current fuel burn rates even planes like the LA-7 can take off and fight comfortably at another base.  The only thing you are really doing is restricting forward bases from drop tanks, but no plane in the game needs a drop tank from a forward base anyway.  Air Warrior used to degrade the fuel instead of limit it, that would be another rewarding option.  If you want the top of the line fuel you need to repair your base or take off further back, etc.
-Ninja250, -Spectre, -UBerHAGS, -FieroGT, -Haggerty, -Hellcat -Misawa, -Gloom -Nobunaga -Cobrakai

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: Increase fuel burn
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2020, 12:40:07 PM »
Burn rate is already 2x, it does not need to be increased.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2020, 01:03:55 PM »
I agree there is little reward for hitting fuel strats/base fuel whereas historically it would be a valuable target.

Not sure if changing fuel burn is the best. But maybe degrading the field max fuel available is a better solution?

25% fuel tanks destroyed - no external tanks
50% - 75% fuel
100% - 50% fuel?

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2020, 01:06:05 PM »
I agree there is little reward for hitting fuel strats/base fuel whereas historically it would be a valuable target.

Not sure if changing fuel burn is the best. But maybe degrading the field max fuel available is a better solution?

25% fuel tanks destroyed - no external tanks
50% - 75% fuel
100% - 50% fuel?

Thats pretty much how it was in the old days. Each fuel tank you took out at the field dropped the available fuel by 25%, the lowest being 25. So you could take off and run out of fuel about the time you got to speed  :D

The cries were heard around the world!!! It was then changed to what we have now.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 01:08:22 PM by The Fugitive »

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2020, 02:43:08 PM »
fuel tank damage was used to limit airplanes taking off as it was easier to taking down hangars.

a bit different than taking down ords or vh hangars.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2020, 02:58:22 PM »
Thats pretty much how it was in the old days. Each fuel tank you took out at the field dropped the available fuel by 25%, the lowest being 25. So you could take off and run out of fuel about the time you got to speed  :D

The cries were heard around the world!!! It was then changed to what we have now.

Then it should be changed back.
Want your fuel, protect your strats.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2020, 03:01:42 PM »
Then it should be changed back.
Want your fuel, protect your strats.

Coogan

No this was the base as well. A couple FWs and they could cripple a base with a few passes. Strats never came into it as once you porked the fuel at a few bases the defenders couldnt up anything that stayed in the air long enough to defend and so bases were easy to grab.

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2020, 03:04:53 PM »
No this was the base as well. A couple FWs and they could cripple a base with a few passes. Strats never came into it as once you porked the fuel at a few bases the defenders couldnt up anything that stayed in the air long enough to defend and so bases were easy to grab.

Oh, I thought this was about the fuel strats.  :bolt:

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2020, 03:05:26 PM »
Good to hear fuel objects serve a function.

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2020, 07:23:51 PM »
sufficient a base defense perspective 25-50% is usually auficient

Offline Flayed1

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2020, 09:53:52 AM »
  I remember when hitting fuel was worth something and I remember the cries and understand the change but like so many game developers I feel that HTC went to far one way and it does not balance well..   I think that being able to knock fuel down to 50% on a base would be a better compromise than 75%. 
  Many planes can still be useful at 50% fuel but still be limited by it some on an attack sortie and some planes will still have enough air time at 50% to defend the base but not be great options to take out to hit another base with at that fuel load.   I usually take 75% on my medium bombers because, although I could make my target with 50% I often times take a fuel hit and it gets me wondering if I can get back to base or not.
  As things stand now the fuel bunkers are a pointless target. I can't remember the last time I bombed a fuel factory.

This reminds me of many nerfs the Devs of EVE Online did and usually they would nerf what ever it was really hard to the point that it was ridiculous and then within a week or so back up about half way to a more balanced setting.  Same thing here but we never got the slight roll back and things remain useless targets. 

From the ashes of the old we rise to fly again. Behold The Phoenix Wing!

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2020, 02:43:03 PM »
50% would still allow la7s, yak3s and spit16s to up in a last ditch base defense role (if you're getting vulched you don't need much gas!) but would be an effective means of preventing them from showing up over your own field.

Other planes like the p51 are not as affected but you can negate their big offensive advantage by killing the ords. And other planes like the mossie or ta152 would hardly be affected by the lack of ords/fuel with their ammo load and fuel capacity.

Oh and bring back resupply convoys, trains, barges :)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2020, 05:09:13 PM »
The P 38 don't care.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2020, 05:56:37 PM »
The P 38 don't care.

let the fuel affect your blender and you will be whining too :cheers:

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2020, 10:06:52 PM »
let the fuel affect your blender and you will be whining too :cheers:

semp

The whining you hear is my new blender..... the SUX6000

:devil
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)