Author Topic: New "Town Layout" Idea. (First Pass)  (Read 1301 times)

Offline Trev95

• Copper Member
New "Town Layout" Idea. (First Pass)
« on: September 08, 2020, 03:05:05 PM »
Hello everyone,

Right now towns are relatively small and can be flattened in one or two passes by a full formation of B17s or B24s.  My proposal is simply this - what if towns were larger, more "city" like.  Below you can find my MS paint sketch up of what I am trying to describe.  The City / Town could be broken into three "districts" allowing for some fresh game play.  This would make taking towns more challenging and rewarding.  This design change in my opinion would give the opportunity for some great GV game play and force bomber and fighter pilots (I am a bomber pilot myself) to coordinate with others on a greater scale drop a town.  As we can see the newer maps are becoming smaller to better fit our current player count, this town change I believe could further concentrate GV combat.

The GV Side

The larger town size would allow for medium scaled GV combat to we waged while bombers or ships are still pounding away at the town.  As of now the GV battles come to an abrupt end when a B17 drops its pay load on the town.  The purpose of the Suburbs and the Industrial Districts are to allow for new GV game play for both the attackers.  The Down Town district that is on the large hill I think could make for some really cool final stands.  The towns could also be riddled with the GV dugouts we find around GV bases allowing for even more dynamic game play for tankers.  (If any GVers want to chime in and help me refine these concepts that would be awesome.)

The Pilots View

How would this change benefit the pilots of AHIII?  Well it would encourage a new level of cooperation for squads but still allow our lone wolves to get in on the action too.  As of now (unless you have my luck) a single heavy  P47 or Fw 190 can de-ack a town, drop the base ordnance, and radar in a span of 5 minutes.  A larger town would not make this impossible but certainly more difficult and almost eliminate the ability of a single player being able to sneak an airfield for better or for worse depending on your view.  A bigger town means more AA guns Fighter pilots would need to coordinate passes in order to divide the town / cities new found firepower.  Bomber pilots would also have more incentive to play with different payloads depending of formation size and possible friendly GV assets on the ground.  Smaller bombs would decrease the chance of friendly fire and allow your sides GVs to safely continue slugging it out with the enemy.

This is just an idea, I am sure its been floated in the past but hey when did new ideas getting thrown out hurt anyone.

Tanks for your time and I can't wait to hear your ideas!

<S>FBTrev95

=======================
1. Down Town District.   (Yellow)
2. Suburbs District.        (Red)
3. Industrial District.      (Blue)
=======================

============================================================================================================================================
                                                                                                                                                   Elevated Town Segments
============================================================================================================================================
FBTrev95/Riftval
Riftvals Bombers

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
Re: New "Town Layout" Idea. (First Pass)
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2020, 07:37:14 AM »
To retrofit the existing maps, a new town layout would probably have to fit in the same space as the current layout.
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2020, 11:03:57 AM »
METROPOLIS
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Trev95

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2020, 07:15:20 PM »
To retrofit the existing maps, a new town layout would probably have to fit in the same space as the current layout.

Realistically this would be applied to new maps as they are released.
FBTrev95/Riftval
Riftvals Bombers

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2020, 11:59:50 PM »
maps would last forever.  the other night, it took us 45 minutes to kill a town at a large base and also deack base, mind you nobody was defending.  with defenders towns like that would be almost impossible to take.

it could lead to pretty good fights, but after a couple of days, it would be just boring.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2020, 09:46:08 AM »
How would it affect frame rates?

Other games have beautiful towns and when you fly over them low enough all but the best rigs go into slide show mode.

<S>

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2020, 12:50:59 PM »
Is your idea that you would still have to drop 75% of the all the districts? or that you would only have to drop 75% of the yellow part? 

I agree with Semp that taking towns would be much much harder. This would be a good change to make on a small map with fewer bases to concentrate the action.  On a large map with many spaced out bases it would take forever to take a base.

Personally I don't think taking bases is too easy or too hard right now. Typically it takes Buffs, gvs and fighters. But I'm not against trying this.  The large air fields have a very large integrated town that is a lot like this idea. They are very hard to capture but the action is mare interesting as you describe.  Have you seen those? I'm not sure what map has them. Maybe this is just like those?   :salute

Who is John Galt?

Offline Trev95

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2020, 02:11:35 PM »
How would it affect frame rates?

Other games have beautiful towns and when you fly over them low enough all but the best rigs go into slide show mode.

<S>

Eagler

Hey Eagler, i'm not going to lie that hadn't occurred to me.  Frame rates in game are beyond me.
FBTrev95/Riftval
Riftvals Bombers

Offline Trev95

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2020, 02:13:27 PM »
maps would last forever.  the other night, it took us 45 minutes to kill a town at a large base and also deack base, mind you nobody was defending.  with defenders towns like that would be almost impossible to take.

it could lead to pretty good fights, but after a couple of days, it would be just boring.

semp

I think I see where you are coming from, I would disagree though.   The town is not walled or anything, and there could be multiple roads leading up to the high ground.
FBTrev95/Riftval
Riftvals Bombers

Offline Trev95

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2020, 02:21:22 PM »
Is your idea that you would still have to drop 75% of the all the districts? or that you would only have to drop 75% of the yellow part? 

I agree with Semp that taking towns would be much much harder. This would be a good change to make on a small map with fewer bases to concentrate the action.  On a large map with many spaced out bases it would take forever to take a base.

Personally I don't think taking bases is too easy or too hard right now. Typically it takes Buffs, gvs and fighters. But I'm not against trying this.  The large air fields have a very large integrated town that is a lot like this idea. They are very hard to capture but the action is mare interesting as you describe.  Have you seen those? I'm not sure what map has them. Maybe this is just like those?   :salute

1. That would be a good subject to debate.  I think 75% of each district would be fair, I don't know though.

2. This would only work on smaller maps I agree on large maps it would be a nightmare.

3. Yeah the "Large Airbase" has a larger town associated with it.  This would be a bit larger then that town,  You would obviously still have a, map room, and more AA guns but besides that its just a slightly larger town.
FBTrev95/Riftval
Riftvals Bombers

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2020, 05:26:56 PM »
All towns need is a brothel. If the brothel is intact then the drunks have a 50% chance of ignoring the map room. If the brothel is hit then moral in the city is dropped an additional 20%.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2020, 05:11:40 PM »
can we throw in some FPS gameplay to these enlarged towns.    :aok
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2020, 05:14:36 PM »
Super soaker or paintball?

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2020, 01:01:18 PM »
+1  :aok
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2020, 06:27:35 PM »
Super soaker or paintball?

I think he meant the brothel.