Author Topic: Dune 2020  (Read 752 times)

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
Dune 2020
« on: September 09, 2020, 08:05:25 PM »
Well, I just found out about this:

I'm curious to how it will really turn out. :headscratch:

For those who read the books, how would you rate the trailer in relation to them?
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Dune 2020
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2020, 08:34:17 PM »
I think "Dune" isnt enough for a movie. I think they should add in the next book to make a good movie out of it. The book drags too much to fill a movie and still make it good. I could sum up the Dune in a paragraph or two and you would know the main story line and a number of the back lines. Not enough answers are shown by the end of Dune, more is revealed in the second book, "Dune Messiah".

On the other hand, Its GOT to be better than the other Dune movie

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2020, 11:52:06 PM »
Yeah.  I've been following this for a year. 

I really hope they nail it.  It was one of the most formative books of my youth.

The David Lynch version was an abomination. 

The SiFi channel mini-series was not too bad.  Low'ish budget, but at least showed some respect for the material. 

This one is looking pretty good and I believe the director is a Dune fanatic from his youth and this has been his lifelong dream to do it right.  At first I was uneasy as the actor who plays Paul looks little Emo, but the more I've seen I think he will not be bad.

The first book is going to be split into two movies.  If those do well, the other books in the series may get their own films.

BTW, so far, I like what I see in the trailers.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 11:56:28 PM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2020, 12:06:54 PM »
Yeah, on WoWs forum (which is where I learned of this), someone there also mentioned the director is a huge Dune nerd.  Hearing this here as well actually has gotten me a little excited to see this now. :x
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline noman

• Copper Member
      • http://yahoo.com
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2020, 12:33:53 PM »
I believe there are 23 books in the Dune Saga now with Dune being Book 12. Frank Herbert's son and another guy picked up writing the series and wrote books about the time before Dune took place by hundreds to thousands of years. That's a lot of movies and backstory.
Quote by Delirium:
Frankly, I'd rather be a fluffer at a gay porcupine film company than be a CM.
God bless the CMs for putting up with this community.
Sic Pups        MA
412th FNVG   FSO

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2020, 12:38:14 PM »
I believe there are 23 books in the Dune Saga now with Dune being Book 12. Frank Herbert's son and another guy picked up writing the series and wrote books about the time before Dune took place by hundreds to thousands of years. That's a lot of movies and backstory.

Yeah, well, I assume it is only the first trilogy that is being considered. 

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2020, 01:43:46 PM »
Not a fan of the lead I see in that preview. Reminds me of Hayden Christensen in Episode 2 and 3.  Entirely wooden acting.  They shoulda got the guy that did Geofrey in GoT or someone who we know can act at least.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2020, 02:21:49 PM »
I read Dune in the early '70s... I fell in love with it b/c of the feints within feints within feints construct... I am looking forward
to this movie and hope it is not as lousy as the last one
"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll

Offline turt21

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2020, 07:40:25 PM »
Loving the Pink Floyd soundtrack

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2020, 05:35:45 PM »
HBO is also making a "Dune" universe TV series, "Dune The Sisterhood", focusing on the B.G. women/etc.

Back in 2000-2003 the aforementioned SyFy/Sci-Fi series Dune, was among that networks highest rated series in terms of number of viewers, it was very popular, both the first Dune series as well as the follow on a few years later, "Children of Dune".

Boiler Down - have you seen "The King" on Netflix? Timothee Chalamet was excellent in that IMO, as well as several other films/tv he has done. 

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2020, 08:57:55 PM »
Sweet!  I'm hoping it's good.

Loved the book.

Didn't like the Lynch movie.  (I like David Lynch stuff other than Dune a lot, including loved the new Twin Peaks series.)

Really liked the Dune TV series.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2020, 10:26:00 PM »
Sweet!  I'm hoping it's good.

Loved the book.

Didn't like the Lynch movie.  (I like David Lynch stuff other than Dune a lot, including loved the new Twin Peaks series.)

Really liked the Dune TV series.

Saw they are doing Asimov's Foundation.  That one looks a little sketchier, but I'll hold off judgement until I've seen more.

Now, if someone would just do an awesome version of Rendezvous with Rama...

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2020, 12:15:04 AM »
Boiler Down - have you seen "The King" on Netflix? Timothee Chalamet was excellent in that IMO, as well as several other films/tv he has done.

Nope, but I'm glad to hear it.  I'd like to be wrong about him.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2020, 01:23:13 PM »
Now, if someone would just do an awesome version of Rendezvous with Rama...

I liked that one, also Ringworld, Gateway, Titan, and Eon (all in the genre of finding and exploring an alien artifact).