Author Topic: 88s and FF  (Read 3700 times)

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
88s and FF
« on: September 13, 2020, 03:33:30 PM »
Hello,

In WWII were 88's routinely used to fire at enemy fighter planes 300 +\- off the tail of a friendly?

If not, if they kill you should not the plane you are also 300 out on be killed? At least heavily damaged?

Thanks,

Slade  :salute
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 03:54:36 PM by Slade »
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: 88s and FF
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2020, 04:42:16 PM »
Enabling damage by friendly fire from a gun would open a can of worms.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2020, 04:57:16 PM »
Kill shooter would destroy the 88
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Golden Dragon

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2020, 07:23:04 PM »
Leave it the way it is, Hitech.  Any research into WWII fighter operations will reveal that strafing airfields was far and away the most dangerous thing pilots did.  It’s already a little too easy to take the airfields as it is.

I would like to see perk points awarded for manned guns though.  That would be a good addition to the game.

00pk
Fight's on!

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2020, 09:40:41 PM »
I noticed too that when people die..... they come back again. This never happened in WWII.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2020, 12:03:47 AM »
I noticed too that when people die..... they come back again. This never happened in WWII.

No, but an awful lot of men died crying about it.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2020, 01:46:17 AM »
been playing for a few years, man guns and 88's have killed me more than a few times.  however I have only been killed more than a couple of times a week if that, sometimes I went months without getting shot down.  and i am the guy that mostly goes and kills ords and dar at a base.

it sucks to get shot down, but it's not really that often as to say fix something because i was unlucky

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline haggerty

• Silver Member
      • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2020, 11:17:20 AM »
I think its the dogfights off the base that the OP is referring to, I've been shot down many times by an 88 while actively fighting someone and no attacking the base or town.  They would probably be more effective if they just upped a fighter to help their buddy, but its still lame to get hit by puffy ack in dogfights.
-Ninja250, -Spectre, -UBerHAGS, -FieroGT, -Haggerty, -Hellcat -Misawa, -Gloom -Nobunaga -Cobrakai

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2020, 12:01:18 PM »
If they took you down, they seem pretty effective in the gun. Steer clear of the base and out of the gun's range.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline haggerty

• Silver Member
      • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2020, 01:02:44 PM »
If they took you down, they seem pretty effective in the gun. Steer clear of the base and out of the gun's range.

They were effective in that instance, but usually they miss.  You can't steer clear of bases, thats where the combat is.  The gun's range is ridiculous.  I suppose we could all hide at our own bases, but I have Microsoft Flight Simulator for that.
-Ninja250, -Spectre, -UBerHAGS, -FieroGT, -Haggerty, -Hellcat -Misawa, -Gloom -Nobunaga -Cobrakai

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2020, 01:12:59 PM »
You say "dogfight off the base".  They probably say "vulch".  Let them get up, don't chase them into the ack if you don't want to die.  Pretty simple really.  Or, if you're trying to take the base, that's part of the game and requires strafing.

Now, with that said, I've had a guy ack drag me back to his base a sector away from 5k over my base. 

And adding 88 specific friendly fire is a terrible idea for the MA.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2020, 02:53:05 PM »
They were effective in that instance, but usually they miss.  You can't steer clear of bases, thats where the combat is.  The gun's range is ridiculous.  I suppose we could all hide at our own bases, but I have Microsoft Flight Simulator for that.

Well it seems fixed now..... they usually miss so they are just a nuisance.

:D
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline haggerty

• Silver Member
      • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2020, 03:06:56 PM »

im not the OP so I'm dont think its a huge problem.  I do know that the last time an 88 got me I was in a 3v1 disadvantage already.  One way to avoid 88 on dogfight would be to nullify damage if friendly fighters are within 1k of you.  That would avoid any friendly fire issues and wouldnt allow a player to get the bases guns killed by some sort of kill shooter mechanism.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2020, 04:14:48 PM »

There are a few guys that have pretty refined gunnery in them, and there are quite a few people with very refined ack dragging skills.  It used to be 88s were ambience.  These days, I get hit by one I'd say a few times a month if I don't think about them.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2020, 04:27:03 PM »
'Ambience' ... I like that.  :D