Author Topic: About Ready To Build A New Machine  (Read 6486 times)

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
Re: About Ready To Build A New Machine
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2020, 08:03:16 AM »
Those specs oughta work for ya Shuff. As for a case, my current build is in a Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic. I like it a lot. Stylish with glass panels and a joy to build in. Really well designed but geared more towards liquid cooling. If the glass isn't your thing they have a similar case for air, PC 011 Air with more focus on airflow.  The Fractal Design Meshify-C is another good case for air.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2020, 09:07:38 AM »
I changed the ram to 4 x 32 gig of the same brand/type for a total of 128 gig.
Sheesh, what a waste of money.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2020, 09:33:48 AM »
I made sure it did not light up like Times  Square on New Years eve

Who over 16 needs their ram to light up?

Eagler

Well I talk to my house.... lights, fans, a/c-heat, vacuum, garage, cameras bbq pit..... so why not. LOL

My lights in my home can do 16 million different colors on command too.  :rofl
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 09:36:01 AM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2020, 09:56:22 AM »
My mobo has lights. The AIO cooler has lights. The fans have lights. The video card has lights. So why not the memory too? No need for them to be super bright, just tweak em how you like. It looks pretty in that 011D case too. Corsair and Asus have an agreement so that the Corsair software will control the Asus lighting. Corsair iCue works great as long as you don't try to update it! Last time I tried that required a windows reset to straighten out!

Oh and as to the memory. 128 gigs? Sheesh! That's like way overkill unless you're doing a lot of CAD work or  4k video editing. More is better than less but there's a point where it's a hindrance to the controller for what you're trying to do. Don't need near that much for just gaming. I have 32 which seems to work fine.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2020, 11:10:08 AM »

Oh and as to the memory. 128 gigs? Sheesh! That's like way overkill unless you're doing a lot of CAD work or  4k video editing. More is better than less but there's a point where it's a hindrance to the controller for what you're trying to do. Don't need near that much for just gaming. I have 32 which seems to work fine.

Agreed!
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2020, 03:05:40 PM »
I knew there would be folks crying about "That's too much RAM!!    This is pure BS.

Is it too much CPU?
Is it too much GPU?
Is the SSD or M.2 too much?

Get with the time fellas'.
RAM is not that expensive.

You old farts probably drive your vehicles with the gas gauge pegging empty. (wouldn't want too much gas)  LMFAO!!!

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2020, 03:12:28 PM »
It's not a question of expense, it's a question of the extra stress all that memory puts on the memory controller on the cpu. Yes it's capable of handling it but there's a difference if using the PC for gaming rather than as I described above. If only gaming you're not helping yourself any with all that extra memory that will NEVER get used in that application. You'll only be slowing yourself down.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2020, 03:31:25 PM »
I knew there would be folks crying about "That's too much RAM!!    This is pure BS.

Is it too much CPU?
Is it too much GPU?
Is the SSD or M.2 too much?

Get with the time fellas'.
RAM is not that expensive.

You old farts probably drive your vehicles with the gas gauge pegging empty. (wouldn't want too much gas)  LMFAO!!!

Coogan

It's not too much ram if one is into working with AutoCAD,  Thermodynamics, Nuclear Physics,  DOE/HVAC=R Load calculations etc,  Video editing,  Studio recording/ DAC and other audiophile software stuff or Graphics design etc

If he wants to buy it because he can afford it he can just use (2) 32 GB sticks totaling 64 GBs on his new computer and probably have better experience and testing results than if he was to use all (4) 32 GB sticks.... which would most likely hinder the performance a bit more than just using (2) 32 GB sticks....

As for getting with the times.... I usually fill the tank every time I need to get gas and most likely drive faster on the road, highway etc than any other person on this bbs

As Drano  stated there is a point/ line  at which once a person crosses it regarding SYSTEM RAM,  they will start seeing diminishing results

Edit:  I started my reply before Drano, I just type a lot slower, heh
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 03:35:20 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2020, 04:08:02 PM »
And conversely, all that RAM would be absolutely necessary for someone needing to do higher RAM consuming work like TC and I said. Too little RAM would seriously degrade performance in those kind of apps. So there's a use for it. That's why the mobo will handle it.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2020, 05:07:26 PM »
While I do cad and 3D work, also video/sound editing, I do not do that much on this machine. Of course I may do more editing with the new machine.

I remember the first 120 mb drive I bought. Everyone told me I would never fill that up.

You can bet that the chip is designed to handle more than the max of 128 gig. Granted not much will use it in today's world.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Drane

• Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2020, 05:13:22 PM »
92 Squadron RAF - Aut pugna aut morere - 'Either fight or die'

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2020, 05:23:23 PM »
Yeah I see what they're saying there but they only tested with 16gb of mem in either config.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2020, 05:25:22 PM »
Oh and Shuff if you wanted to just get two sticks of that memory and want it to look like four Corsair has you covered. They make dummy ram sticks that just have the LEDs on them. Check it

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-%7C-Parts/PC-Components/Memory/CORSAIR-VENGEANCE-RGB-PRO-Light-Enhancement-Kit/p/CMWLEKIT2

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2020, 07:40:12 PM »
I don't care if it looks like 4 or not. I might drop it back to 2 x 32.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2020, 10:08:33 PM »
Graphics (32,000x32,000px) work on a 32GB system can feel like the 1980s with 5-10 minute waits. 64GB makes a huge difference there.
Don't ask, lol.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001