Author Topic: g2 or index ...  (Read 775 times)

Offline Mayhem

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.damned.org
g2 or index ...
« on: September 22, 2020, 10:37:11 PM »
Well I finally got my Notification from Steam that My index is ready to ship and I have 7 days to pay or they will return it to stock. I've been waiting since the end of may (5-8 weeks my fat hairy butt!)

I'm in a real internal debate on this ....

The g2 has better resolution and graphics quality .... The index has better tracking controllers and FOV. 
The index has been out some time the g2 hasn't released yet.

The index is $1000 the g2 $600

There is some mixed info on the lighthouse and knuckle controllers working with the g2 but most say no it wont.

What makes me most nervous is I've gotten jerked around on per-orders (5-8 weeks for a index LOL more like months) and waiting for new releases (rtx3080 anyone).

Well I have seven days I hope we have a g2 release date before my time is up.

Any thoughts? Index now or g2 later?
"Destination anywhere! So Far Gone, I'm almost There."
The Damned! (Est. 1988) Damned if we do - No fun if we don't!
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
Re: g2 or index ...
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2020, 09:57:57 AM »
Is DHL delivering? Gotta factor that in I guess!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Wildin

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 03:09:01 PM »
I'm happy with my Index but it made me want one of the 30 series cards, which will probably make me want a whole new board and cpu. Can run Aces at 80fps with low settings using Intel 6700K and 1070 card. :salute

Offline AlbertSk

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 03:33:02 PM »
I'm liking the Index. Ordered mine April, Pay for notice was July. Once I paid it shipped the following Monday in July, Fedex from Chicago. arrived that Wed.
It ran fine on a 1060 card but only in 90hz. I now have a 2070 and running 120hz with AHIII graphics bumped to 3/4 of max. Max works but GV's get easily lost in the high quality leaves.
I7-10700K RTX2070

Offline streakeagle

• Silver Member
      • Streak Eagle - Stephen's Website
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2020, 08:09:20 PM »
I have a Rift CV1 and currently use a Rift S. Both the Index and the G2 would be an upgrade. I want both resolution and field of view. But after reading forums and tech sites, watching a lot of youtube videos, and thinking about my Rift experience, I decided I valued resolution over field of view: I chose the G2. I am expecting the image quality improvement to make a huge difference in my VR experience, but it will still give me a slightly better field of view. The lower price is just icing on the cake!

The real problem is the throughput of my cpu/motherboard and my gpu bottlenecking the G2. The 30 series gpus aren't performing as well as claimed when running conventional rasterized applications, they are also short on supply and therefore will be high on price. The most cost effective solution (if an MSRP of $700 can be considered cost effective) is a little short on VRAM which will hurt VR, particularly at the high resolution that the G2 runs. So, until the smoke clears from the new gpu releases with adequate stock and fair prices, I am going to focus on building a new gaming rig. But I am waiting for the next generation of AMD cpus to be released before I make a final decision on building an AMD or Intel PC. If big Navi is competitive with the 3080 but at a lower price with functional drivers, I may end up with an all AMD system, which I once had with my Athlon 64 Venice cpu and Radeon series gpus all the way up to the 7970 GHz edition. So many variables and so much waiting to see what happens over the long run with performance and cost-effectiveness.
i5(4690K) MAXIMUS VII HERO(32 Gb RAM) GTX1080(8 Gb RAM) Win10 Home (64-bit)
OUR MISSION: PROTECT THE FORCE, GET THE PICTURES, ...AND KILL MIGS!

Offline Mayhem

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2020, 09:36:33 PM »
My current system should be able to handle both the index and the g2 and my new system should definitely handle it specially once I get a newer GPU for it. At worse if I have to wait, I can Just toss my 1080ti in my new system and my Mothballed r9 390 into the old system when I hand it off to my youngest kid.

My current system specs are ....

LIAN LI PC-75B Black windowed Aluminum ATX Full Tower Case.
Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz LGA 1150 (Basically an Intel Core I7-4790 with ecc support and without an APU)
ASRock H97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
G.Skill Trident X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory CL7
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC GAMING Black Edition Graphics Card
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z PCIE Sound Card. (oem)
Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1800 Tuner Card PCIe-1
2 Samsung 500GB 850 Evo 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drives (Raid 0)
3 Toshiba 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM HDD (Raid 5)
LG WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Corsair 850W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

I also have a Gigabyte Radeon R9 390 Gaming 1 SOC 8GB in Mothball

My new system which is lacking a video card at the moment .....

ThermalTake Core W100 super tower
AMD Ryzen 9 3900x
ASRock X570 Steel Legend AM4 AMD X570 Motherboard
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3600
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z PCIE Sound Card. (retail)
2X XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB 3D NAND NVMe Gen3x4 PCIe M.2 2280 Solid State Drive (The raid zero debate has begun)
4X Toshiba N300 4TB NAS 7200rpm hdd (raid-10)
LG WH16NS60 16x Internal Blu-ray BDXL M-Disc Drive
CORSAIR AX Series AX850 CP-9020151-NA 850W ATX12V 80 PLUS TITANIUM Certified Full Modular Power Supply
(Capture cards and fax modem are now USB)

Again the only thing I need for my new system is a new GPU.

I will be using a PCIE x16 4.0 riser to mount my video card off of the mother board this should keep some of the heat off of the M.2 SSD cards.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 10:20:17 PM by Mayhem »

Offline Mayhem

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2020, 10:04:03 PM »

The real problem is the throughput of my cpu/motherboard and my gpu bottleneck the G2. The 30 series gpus aren't performing as well as claimed when running conventional rasterized applications, they are also short on supply and therefore will be high on price. The most cost effective solution (if an MSRP of $700 can be considered cost effective) is a little short on VRAM which will hurt VR, particularly at the high resolution that the G2 runs.

Average benchmarks suggest the 3080 is just as much faster than the 2080ti as the 2080ti was to the 1080ti about 18 to 33 percent depending on application and who you ask. I never upgraded from the 1080ti to the 2080ti based on the fact it was not a major performance hike to justify the expense. so in all honesty I don't see a big reason to upgrade from a 2080ti 2080super or even a 2080 to a 3080 unless it is specifically for the boost in raytracing.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-review

Unfortunately Nvidia are being Delta-Bags on the availability of their graphics cards ... Many have suggested that Nvidia has been deliberately artificially inflating the cost of GPUs for last several generations ... Considering all their launches end up as poop party I tend to agree with them.

This last fubar of a release did three things for Nvidia besides sell all their stock of 3080s ..... guarantee the 3080 will be scarce enough to elevate prices to $1000-$1200 Spoil the launch of the AMD's Big Navi and keep as many 2080's off the resale market as possible.

I'm going to see how bad the launch of the 3090 cards goes (probably as bad as the 3080) but wile I can afford one, I'm not sure I'm going to jump on one ..... it's still looking like it's going to be 120% the performance of the 3080 at 210% the price and that's some serous diminishing returns.

One last thing there does not appear to be major performance increase putting a PCIE gen 4 GPU in a Gen 4 slot over putting a gen 4 card in a gen 3 slot ..... in the 3080 its a matter of about 2 to 3 frames per second in most test however, Tom's Hardware pulled the article for some reason.

Part of me is getting the impression Tom's hardware is getting kickbacks from hardware and software manufacturers.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 10:15:06 PM by Mayhem »

Offline Mayhem

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2020, 03:52:55 AM »
Rod White makes a good argument for waiting as we have no idea how the g2 is going to preform. I let my index lapse and jumped back in an 8 week + wait queue and I have not pre-ordered the g2 yet.

Currently the g2 Pre-orders made before the 24th won't go out till early November and those pre-ordered after September 24th won't go out till early December.

I personally end up taking a red hot fire poker to my poopper on pre-orders, so I think I'm going to wait and see how the g2 actually preforms against the index. Visuals quality, Frames per second, and head tracking (not hand) are my priorities people that have the index like Rockdog swears by it specially it's head tracking even in low light.

Toss in the current GPU drama with the 3080 cards and I think I'm going to put my 1080ti in my new system and drag my AMD R9 390 out of mothball in my sons (my old) PC. As soon as I do get a new GPU my R9 390 has a home in a buddies system.

https://youtu.be/4LeOFItBSXE
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 03:55:34 AM by Mayhem »