Author Topic: An important call to all scenario players  (Read 4394 times)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
Re: An important call to all scenario players
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2020, 09:48:58 AM »
The overall pilot numbers in the MA have pretty much stabilized over the past 12 months (with an actual upsurge during the first three months of Corona). Which is imho quite a thing after years of almost constant, steady decline.

Maybe over the last 12 months, but when I had come back 2 years ago, the MA was typically running ~185.  I think COVID distorted the trendline temporarily. Not sure how long that effect will last.  Even then, I don't think it is many virgin players.  It's almost always recycled old players coming back to try and rekindle their experience from the heyday.  On the good side, we have a lot of past players that could be temporarily re-monetized.  On the bad side, I don't see many green shoots, not many signs of true growth.  It's all about managing the decline at this point.   

I'm not surprised at some point the decline stabilizes or shallows it slope noticeably.  You are down to people who have a deep personal investment and identification with this game.  Maybe some are only here for the friends they have here.

In the US there used to be a LOT of people who smoked cigarettes.  Over time more and more of them quit or didn't take up the habit.  But it wasn't a straight decline to zero.  Eventually it evaporates down to a smaller population who are likely never going to quit smoking.  The decline will stabilize when it hits that hardcore cohort.  Health issues and the Grim Reaper become the major factors in reducing that population rather than choice. 

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2020, 10:20:39 AM »

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2020, 11:51:23 AM »
Maybe the plane set is not the problem.

Maybe the problem is more fundamental.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2020, 12:43:06 PM »
i was invited to join the allies, looked at the numbers and joined the axis. i don't fly German planes, can't see out of them, can't fly them. and to be honest, i don't like the allied planes set up either.

but I'm willing to try and make a fool of myself. I will still have fun  :cheers:.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Online Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2020, 01:20:12 PM »
i was invited to join the allies, looked at the numbers and joined the axis. i don't fly German planes, can't see out of them, can't fly them. and to be honest, i don't like the allied planes set up either.

but I'm willing to try and make a fool of myself. I will still have fun  :cheers:.

semp

Sit on a phone book.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Becinhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2020, 10:58:57 PM »
If you -- scenario players in general -- want scenarios to continue, we need your help filling them.

If you don't help recruit, and figure others will do it instead, we aren't going to have enough players to run scenarios.

Most players do not read the message board.

The only way we reach new players is by player-to-player communication in the melee arena.

My network of connections is about 30 people, of which about half play in any given scenario.  But that's not enough to fill a whole scenario.

The October scenario is one week away from running.  It has 9 players registered for axis and 18 for allies.

Can the scenario player base add to that?  That's what we very much need.

Might help if the scenario players weren't the most toxic group in the game. I quit doing scenarios years ago when I made time twice to fly as a walk-on, got there 90 minutes early and was ignored both times. Even PM'd the person running it (you), and was told to hold on. Stayed in scenario for 30 minutes after start, continued to PM. Ignored and then told "sorry you should have been here earlier". Screw your scenarios.
412th Braunco Mustangs OG
412th FNVG FSO
80th FS "Headhunters" MA

Offline Pluto

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2020, 12:50:16 AM »
Might help if the scenario players weren't the most toxic group in the game. I quit doing scenarios years ago when I made time twice to fly as a walk-on, got there 90 minutes early and was ignored both times. Even PM'd the person running it (you), and was told to hold on. Stayed in scenario for 30 minutes after start, continued to PM. Ignored and then told "sorry you should have been here earlier". Screw your scenarios.

I am a little bitter after a similar situation. I used to love them.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 12:52:38 AM by Pluto »

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2020, 01:21:29 AM »
Well, you should give them a try again.

Anything like that happening was a mistake by me then, not something on purpose.

And certainly not the fault of scenarios overall.

And certainly not the fault of all the other people who help make scenarios.

I want people to join us, to fly, and to have fun.

Be mad at me for my mistake, but don't deny yourself the fun you could have.  :aok

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2020, 03:46:41 AM »
you know guys, it's forget and forgive.  last scenario, i quit, got ho'd 3 or 4 times by every fw190 i saw.  i got upset, was a 12 hour, didnt come back.  now, I am flying fw190's not to ho, but because axis had less players.  not everything goes perfect. once I got into a fight in fso or scenario, dont remember which, got into a fight with 3 or 4 players that were waiting for us to rtb low on fuel and ammo, I had gotten lost, i engaged all of them, smoked all of them in a ho, as that was all i could do, rest of pigs, landed successfully, I didnt get a kill as I got shot down, or crashed, dont really remember.

but a month or 2 ago, some guy started apologizing to me, he had switched to whatever country I was in.  he said he gave me a hard time the night before.  told him, you know I dont really remember, was late at night, few beers, forget about it.

you dont want to play in scenarios, that's cool, it's your choice, but dont blame what happened before.  if I was to hold a grudge to anybody that did me wrong or whoever i did wrong, I would have quit in the first 3 months of ah back in 200k something.

so play or dont, your choice, whatever happened before cant say wont happened again. but if you play for fun, join or dont, but dont say, I hold a grudge.  we way too old for that.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2020, 03:57:03 AM »
I wonder if we could talk HT into approving a number of incentive prizes to be awarded in this event. Nothing extravagant or expensive. Just perk points.

Example:

Highest scoring Allied fighter pilot: 500 fighter perk points
Highest scoring Axis fighter pilot: 500 fighter perk points
Highest scoring Allied bomber pilot: 500 bomber perk points
Highest scoring Axis bomber pilot: 500 bomber perk points

Granted, these awards might be won by pilots that have accrued tons of PP already and maybe that may not be the incentive we need.

A free month of AH each? That shouldn't be too much of a dent. A free month of AH should tempt a few to try their hand at being event top guns (or top bombs).
CHIT!!! I would be willing to go as far as,Updated System(new PC),own VR setup,Gift cards, ect ect! You have been here longer than I have, so leave the "would/how to" talk him into this, to make this real" in your hands!!  :aok SERIOUS!! As in up to, $4 K   These scenarios saved my life!!!!!!!!!!!! That is where I met ULTactus, ULdieter, ULSpeed ,ULWolf....... ULDutch,DaddyAce,Odee, and Brooke,Perdweeb ect ect. I realize that this sounds CHEESEY ...but FACT!Simply an investment towards my Future Game Fun! Done this "like" stuff more than a few times! I can give references!!! SERIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rock Wont Name names...unless I need to :bolt:
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 04:05:15 AM by 1stpar3 »
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Becinhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2020, 12:17:03 PM »
Well, you should give them a try again.

Anything like that happening was a mistake by me then, not something on purpose.

And certainly not the fault of scenarios overall.

And certainly not the fault of all the other people who help make scenarios.

I want people to join us, to fly, and to have fun.

Be mad at me for my mistake, but don't deny yourself the fun you could have.  :aok

Once is a mistake. Twice is a pattern. Absolutely not. And yes I fully put the fault squarely in your lap.
412th FNVG FSO
80th FS "Headhunters" MA

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2020, 02:15:44 PM »
Once is a mistake. Twice is a pattern. Absolutely not. And yes I fully put the fault squarely in your lap.

Hey man crap happens. No need to take out personal bullcrap here. Bet you couldn't run a scenario, much less by yourself. These scenarios are some of the best parts of Aces High. Don't put down the whole concept just because you had a bad experience. Every scenario is different. Brooke does the best he can. Be more of squeaky wheel if he doesn't get back with you. These scenarios are great. Stop being so negative with your personal problems trying to bring it down.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Becinhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2020, 03:28:35 PM »
Hey man crap happens. No need to take out personal bullcrap here. Bet you couldn't run a scenario, much less by yourself. These scenarios are some of the best parts of Aces High. Don't put down the whole concept just because you had a bad experience. Every scenario is different. Brooke does the best he can. Be more of squeaky wheel if he doesn't get back with you. These scenarios are great. Stop being so negative with your personal problems trying to bring it down.

We will agree to disagree then sir. <S>
412th FNVG FSO
80th FS "Headhunters" MA

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2020, 04:43:25 PM »

OK, but if you want to give it a go, I'll ask another CM to be walkon wrangler for our next scenario.

Or you can register and be guaranteed the spot you signed up for.

Let me know, and it will be done -- I'm happy to have someone else do it instead of me.  :aok

I've assigned probably 100's of walkons over the many years I've been walkon wrangler.  I'm certainly not perfect at it, but not because I'm trying to screw anyone.  I want everyone to play and have fun.

My suggestion is don't let me be a barrier between you and fun.  I'm just one guy.  There are 50 other people involved in scenarios who didn't mess up anything.  They probably want you to fly, too.  :aok

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2020, 07:00:13 PM »

I am a little bitter after a similar situation. I used to love them.

I can third this.  Its just honest feedback.  I tried walking on as axis a few events back as a walkon, was ignored.  Switched to allied and got hooked up with a p47 spot after basically begging.

A couple of events later, i was registered in a spit5 group, where only two of us managed to show up due to real life.  We were basically left as a squadron of two for 2 or 3 runs, until i reached out for some guidance on objectives, etc..

These last couple of experiences i had would be a turnoff for just about anyone.

Not trying to take shots on anyone, just echoing what a few others have shared, in hopes to help.

Also for me personally, the longer events work better, rather than trying to commit to 50% of a months saturday afternoons. 

Just some thoughts for you.