Author Topic: more troops for goon?  (Read 3732 times)

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
more troops for goon?
« on: September 27, 2020, 07:33:29 PM »
There are very few goon captures relative to m3 captures. What if we tried a tour with 20 troops in a goon? It could supposedly carry 28 paratroopers vs 12 in the m-3 (according to wikipedia). I think it might change the fight dynamic and make things interesting. Can always change it back if it is too destabilizing.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: more troops for goon?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2020, 08:32:25 PM »
If I remember right Hitech once said if he ever raised the number of troops the goon could carry he would raise the the number of troops to capture to match.

I understand the reason why you would want the change, but it is much easier to hide/sneak in an M3. Goons are too easy to find and shoot down so players dont use them.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2020, 09:02:13 PM »
If I remember right Hitech once said if he ever raised the number of troops the goon could carry he would raise the the number of troops to capture to match.

I understand the reason why you would want the change, but it is much easier to hide/sneak in an M3. Goons are too easy to find and shoot down so players dont use them.

This!
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2020, 10:04:34 PM »
Thats precisely why I think giving a goon the edge by giving them more troops would get more people to use them!

Offline haggerty

• Silver Member
      • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2020, 10:09:01 PM »
would also help deter against one man M3 caps in the middle of the night
-Ninja250, -Spectre, -UBerHAGS, -FieroGT, -Haggerty, -Hellcat -Misawa, -Gloom -Nobunaga -Cobrakai

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2020, 10:21:27 PM »
A better idea would be to lower the M3 troop number to 5 making two M3s needed vs a single goon.

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2020, 10:26:41 PM »
A better idea would be to lower the M3 troop number to 5 making two M3s needed vs a single goon.

I’d go for that.

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2020, 11:02:25 PM »
I’d go for that.

Or 9 troops. Then you could actually use jeeps for captures!

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2020, 10:08:17 PM »

Why encourage even more people to take GV's?

Honestly, letting a Goon carry 28 troops while making no other changes is probably the best plan for increasing goon usage.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2020, 11:56:19 PM »
Why encourage even more people to take GV's?

Honestly, letting a Goon carry 28 troops while making no other changes is probably the best plan for increasing goon usage.

goon carrying 10 or 28 doesn't matter if they can't make it to town.  we lost 4 or 5 yesterday trying to take a base, we all came at same time from different directions.

i have stopped base takings with 3 or 4 fighters around just by killing the goon then climb back up and wait for the next.

goons are slow easy targets, can't change that.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2020, 09:16:48 AM »
Or 9 troops. Then you could actually use jeeps for captures!

You can use jeeps for captures.  Just take four jeeps.  If one gets killed, make a second run.  If you are fast, you should be able to make a second run with a jeep and still get troops to the map room in time for the capture.

If I remember correctly, each trooper counts as damage against the map room.  It has a repair time, just like any other item, but I don't remember the repair time.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2020, 09:18:53 AM »
You can use jeeps for captures.  Just take four jeeps.  If one gets killed, make a second run.  If you are fast, you should be able to make a second run with a jeep and still get troops to the map room in time for the capture.

If I remember correctly, each trooper counts as damage against the map room.  It has a repair time, just like any other item, but I don't remember the repair time.

i believe it's still the case where if you drop troops and you up again, your troops die.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2020, 09:59:44 AM »
i believe it's still the case where if you drop troops and you up again, your troops die.

semp
Note... he said IF YOU GET KILLED.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2020, 10:04:38 AM »
goon carrying 10 or 28 doesn't matter if they can't make it to town.  we lost 4 or 5 yesterday trying to take a base, we all came at same time from different directions.

i have stopped base takings with 3 or 4 fighters around just by killing the goon then climb back up and wait for the next.

goons are slow easy targets, can't change that.

semp

Yeah, but how else do you promote the use of Goons, or discourage the use of half-tracks? It needs to be done in such a way that the solution is not just to send more players in half-tracks. That would be counterproductive.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2020, 10:06:44 AM »

semp

I'm pretty sure once they're in, they're counted.  At the end of the day, they're like a bomb.  Once they "hit" the maproom, you can reup with no effect on them.  If memory serves we speculated troops repair over about 7.5 minutes if they follow the same rules as bombs, but I don't know that anyone's ever confirmed it.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11