Author Topic: more troops for goon?  (Read 3782 times)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: more troops for goon?
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2020, 10:53:56 AM »
Yeah, but how else do you promote the use of Goons, or discourage the use of half-tracks? It needs to be done in such a way that the solution is not just to send more players in half-tracks. That would be counterproductive.

only way you gonna discourage use of m3s is if you get rid of spawns. think about it, 5 minute drive in m3 vs 15 to 20 in goon.

m3s can hide, and are harder to kill.  goons have nowhere to hide and are big targets.

anyway, good luck trying to fix this "problem".

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2020, 11:08:19 AM »
Part of the problem with goons is the map shows everything around you regardless of radar being up or down with the newer player distance dar. At some point a goon is going to have to avoid trees and climb with elevation changes, they pop on the map for a second and that's it for them. you could get 5  to 8 m3's with 5 troops there before you get a goon with 28 troops.

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2020, 11:21:02 AM »
Part of the problem with goons is the map shows everything around you regardless of radar being up or down with the newer player distance dar. At some point a goon is going to have to avoid trees and climb with elevation changes, they pop on the map for a second and that's it for them. you could get 5  to 8 m3's with 5 troops there before you get a goon with 28 troops.

Yes ny thought is giving the goon one area where it has an advantage over an m3 would at least increase their usage to a certain degree.  Right now it has no real advantage.

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2020, 11:28:51 AM »
A while back hitech experimented by removing m3s for a bit. A lot of people complained but I think making some changes every tour and even changing back keeps the gameplay or tactics from becoming too stale.

Imagine some tours where you could take a town with 5 troops. Or others that require 20. Or changing the amount of town damage required to WF. New challenges. And much easier than creating new maps.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2020, 11:30:56 AM »
Why would  having 28 troops in one goon be an advantage?  You only need to 10, your still slow, and your still a big easy target

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2020, 12:28:44 PM »
Why would  having 28 troops in one goon be an advantage?  You only need to 10, your still slow, and your still a big easy target

It would not be a huge change, but at least with more troops you have a better chance of making your mission count if you make it to a drop point, since only 10 of the 28 need to make it to the map room.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2020, 12:41:44 PM »
Yes ny thought is giving the goon one area where it has an advantage over an m3 would at least increase their usage to a certain degree.  Right now it has no real advantage.

I totally get it, some changes would be good if not great.

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2020, 02:39:30 PM »

Because goons are easy to pick off before they release troops and all it takes is killing 1 troop to save a base if they do get to their drop point. This way if they make it to their drop point they have a good chance of taking a field even with aircraft strafing troops.

Would be a change. Doesn't have to be permanent. But could make things interesting.

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2020, 03:24:01 PM »
Biggest complaint I could see about m3 having it dropped below 10 is people yelling about not getting credit for a capture lol

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2020, 04:14:52 PM »
Proper planning will get a goon in.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2020, 04:34:12 PM »

I don't see much of that any more, like none. More often than not it's "town is white flagged bring troops!!", if an M3 doesn't get the capture then yelling about why no one brought troops or the goon is dead.

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2020, 07:52:07 PM »
I just think it would be fun to see more troops falling in the sky with defenders scrambling to kill them. Right now its too easy to defend against a goon take.

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2020, 09:27:21 AM »
A better idea would be to lower the M3 troop number to 5 making two M3s needed vs a single goon.

+1
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2020, 01:54:32 PM »
i believe it's still the case where if you drop troops and you up again, your troops die.

semp

only if they are running...

If a landed goon didn't show up as a big sitting duck Icon on dot dar..that would be helpful....
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 01:56:08 PM by SPKmes »

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2020, 02:59:35 PM »

yup so many ways to travel to town from the nearest base. also Goons are slow so time is critical.  rarely do you get a second try unless you get shot down early in flight.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.