Author Topic: Through the Lense - Quest 2 vs Index vs Reverb G2  (Read 3556 times)

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
Re: Through the Lense - Quest 2 vs Index vs Reverb G2
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2020, 04:46:27 PM »
I still use my CV1, it doesn't blur at all. It may pixelate and you get screendoor, some people even tried adding lenses to blur the screendoor. I dunno what you guys are doing but mine is perfectly sharp. Or maybe you're confusing blur with pixelation?
Probably...ritf1 isnt as clear as RiftS...what ever the issue. I have no major issues,its just more noticeable :aok
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline finnster

• Zinc Member
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2020, 10:16:11 PM »
Well, there's definitely screen door effect. Maybe I needed to change my aces high setup a bit.  I played with the oculus in several games, and it was ok. But fine print that I couldn't read in it, is legible in the Pimax- but that's what five years of technology improvement does. I enjoyed the rift a lot, but after using the Pimax, I couldn't go back to that small field of view.
Of course, with my nvidia 1080, I have to play at a low resolution to get 35 fps in the 8Kx's native mode. The gauges are still very readable but not nearly as nice as at the highest resolution.
It looks like we'll have several great upgrade paths for GPU's from Nvidia and AMD next month. Looking forward to that.
Cheers

Offline SpinDoc1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2020, 01:09:47 PM »
Oculus Quest (v1), things are very readable in VR. I'm actually really impressed (though to be fair, my expectations were low from the outset).

Watching that video, love the idea of the Reverb G2, but still looking to see headsets that have a wider peripheral vision. Will really add to the immersion factor!
AKSpnDoc
Spin Doc's Aces High VR Video channel! https://youtu.be/BKk7_OOHkgI

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2020, 02:12:48 PM »
My Reverb G2 arrived today.  I'll be messing around with AH offline with it a bit and report back what I think, so far though, it's quite an improvement over the Gen1 Reverb.  I'm very impressed in fact, the quality of the unit, the sound is the best of any VR HMD I've had (pretty much all of them since the Rift, don't go back as far as Vulcan, hah), IPD adjustment = good times too.  The picture improvement is better than expected IMO.  Still waiting for an AMD 5950x, 10900k/3090 right now, I still have a 2080ti I'm going to test it with as well.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2020, 02:22:59 PM »
Oculus Quest (v1), things are very readable in VR. I'm actually really impressed (though to be fair, my expectations were low from the outset).

Watching that video, love the idea of the Reverb G2, but still looking to see headsets that have a wider peripheral vision. Will really add to the immersion factor!

I have a G1, and also looking fwd to sets with wider FOV.   Immersion isn’t a problem for me with the G1 however, I just imagine I’m wearing flying goggles, which I can imagine restricted some peripheral view. 

One fantastic thing about VR is the scale; when you’re in a P-38 and look out across the wing you get a sense of how big the aircraft is.   Also, all the other planes appear closer.  When a P-51 flew by on climbout the other day, I was amazed at the detail I could see in that aircraft and its skin.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2020, 06:21:23 AM »
Glad to hear Gman

Looking forward to receiving mine sometime this month.

Did you get another email from them stating it shipped?

Can you hookup more than one vr headset to computer at the same time?

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2020, 09:12:39 AM »
Gman are you expecting the 2080ti to be insufficient to power the G2?

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2020, 07:04:11 PM »
I wouldn't say the 2080ti is insufficient, it's just that in another sim I play it's a game of inches regarding performance, and I want the very fastest hardware I can throw at it, ie the 3090 and 5950xAMD cpu (once it gets here).  For AH3 I'm sure the 2080ti will suffice, and I'll try it shortly to be sure.

I haven't tried the G2 with my remaining 2080ti yet, I'll do it tomorrow and compare it to the 3090.

Eagler, do you mean can you have another type of HMD installed on the same system?  The only other HMD I have left atm is my first gen Reverbs, sold the Index and Rift Ss off.  I haven't tried to go back to the Reverb gen 1 yet either, but from the docs it says it should work fine.  I'd expect the Index would as well, the Rift however, I'm not sure there wouldn't be any conflicts between the Oculus software and WMR. 

I got my G2 from PC-Canada Eagler, for some reason Canada got the pre orders first before the USA and other countries.  They sent me emails on the 10th saying it shipped, and I got it on Friday after a delay due to a blizzard snow storm in my area.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 07:06:45 PM by Gman »

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2020, 08:11:12 AM »
Email today says the G2 should arrive Tuesday - almost 3 months to the day it was pre ordered.

Eagler

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2020, 09:58:03 PM »
That's pretty good actually IMO, especially considering the delays they did in order to ensure the improvements they kept incorporating in the final production unit all worked ok. 

I think you'll be impressed with it, that's one thing I'd bet on.

Offline haggerty

• Silver Member
      • Facebook
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2020, 10:26:45 AM »
I was playing Aces High just fine with the original Rift and a 1060 3gb.  I just bought a Quest 2 but I havent tried it yet on Aces High, I got it for my kids.  I didnt enjoy the combat with the Rift, but flying around was really cool.  Now I have a 1060 6gb and a Vega 56 to try it with.  I dont expect issues with either.
-Ninja250, -Spectre, -UBerHAGS, -FieroGT, -Haggerty, -Hellcat -Misawa, -Gloom -Nobunaga -Cobrakai

Offline SpinDoc1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2020, 11:44:00 AM »
I was playing Aces High just fine with the original Rift and a 1060 3gb.  I just bought a Quest 2 but I havent tried it yet on Aces High, I got it for my kids.  I didnt enjoy the combat with the Rift, but flying around was really cool.  Now I have a 1060 6gb and a Vega 56 to try it with.  I dont expect issues with either.

You didn't enjoy combat with the Rift? Why not? I fly a Quest now, I love being able to peek around the engine cowl for snapshots, and my overall SA is soooo much higher now, without having to constantly hit the hat or view keys!
AKSpnDoc
Spin Doc's Aces High VR Video channel! https://youtu.be/BKk7_OOHkgI

Offline haggerty

• Silver Member
      • Facebook
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2020, 12:03:55 PM »
You didn't enjoy combat with the Rift? Why not? I fly a Quest now, I love being able to peek around the engine cowl for snapshots, and my overall SA is soooo much higher now, without having to constantly hit the hat or view keys!

With properly setup views I found that my situational awareness was so much better just using hat keys on the joystick.  Distances seemed very different as well.  The straw for me was I just couldn't hit anyone even if it looked like perfectly aligned shots.  Its also so much easier to use the keyboard for things when you aren't wearing your monitor.
-Ninja250, -Spectre, -UBerHAGS, -FieroGT, -Haggerty, -Hellcat -Misawa, -Gloom -Nobunaga -Cobrakai

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2020, 12:08:35 PM »
As vr improves my guess is you'll be at a huge disadvantage if you don't have it...

IMO you are not already...

It took about a week to get used to it but now I hit converage shots many think I cheat somehow to make

Eagler

Offline haggerty

• Silver Member
      • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2020, 12:20:26 PM »
I don't know, its so easy to see everywhere around you with hat, and quicker than using your head.  I have two buttons on my joystick I use to combine the hat with down and up, in other games I can see VR being more useful, but in AH I can see everywhere so easy instantly.  My other issue with VR that I didnt mention is that my eyes get tired very quickly when using it. 
Not once when I'm dogfighting without VR do I think that I wish my SA could be better, I'd break my neck trying to keep up with what is possible via keys.