Author Topic: Video offline Pimax 8KX  (Read 423 times)

Offline finnster

• Zinc Member
Video offline Pimax 8KX
« on: October 04, 2020, 08:37:35 PM »
Hi all,
I've been working on getting everything 'tuned in' on the Pimax 8kx.  I think the wider field of view (170 degress horizontal) is fantastic BUT... I also believe it makes the Headset much trickier to set up in terms of adjusting the lenses' positions in front of your eyes for image quality. Like most headsets, the 8KX has a mechanical control for IPD (the distance between your pupils' centers).  In default mode however, this will not adjust further than 70mm at the largest and 60 or so at the smallest.  The larger or smaller IPD players can use a utility in Pitools (the setup utility) or in the new "Pimax Experience" which basically puts all the adjustments into a GUI that's much easier for new owners to manage. The PE is still in beta, but it shows a lot of promise. My IPD is between 58 and 61 depending on focal point (near or far).
The hope is that one day in the near future, the software will guide a new user easily to a good setup. I think it's close now.
Like most other headsets, the 8kx does not have a mechanical control for 'forward and back' on the lenses. This is a pity, because most people find the single biggest issue is the distance FROM our eyes to the lenses.
Fortunately, the range that works for most players is fairly wide and can be adjusted by choosing one of the Pimax face pads; it comes either with a 'thin' foam or a 'thick' foam. Pimax will send both if needed.  In my case, the thin foam seems to work well. It's also fairly easy to modify the foam to get the right distance. In general, closer is better, but not always. The thin foam has a cutout to allow a player to wear glasses easily while playing, which is also a nice touch.
Now... to the heart of the matter for our game.
 In Aces High- I can get the image resolution and quality to easily match the highest level of my video card in the AH settings. The headset offers 3840by 2160 in each eye in "native resolution" mode, but because my GPU is below the suggested lower limit (I have an Nvidia 1080)  l used the 'upscaled' mode which takes a resolution of 2560x1440 per eye  and uses software to scale it up for the 8Kx.
It's considerably faster for me that way. Regardless, the visual experience is a huge step forward for me compared to my Oculus Rift.
I still have some tweaking to do- but it looks better in my headset than it does in the Nvidia shadow play recording of the desktop.
Here's the youtube url for the video if you're interested.
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz08yqtUu6M&t=43s