Author Topic: WX Reporting  (Read 999 times)

Offline Windycty

• Copper Member
WX Reporting
« on: October 10, 2020, 07:02:49 AM »
It would be nice to have some sort of simple weather reporting for cloud cover on the clipboard for bomber pilots. Many times as we approach a target there is cloud cover obstructing the bombardier's view.

During WWII, as aircraft were ferried from the US to the combat theatre they would also report the weather on the way.

My thought is in AHIII if a friendly aircraft flies in a sector, it would automatically report cloud cover to the clipboard.  If no friendly has flown in that sector in the previous hour, no info is available. 

Report could read like this:  Sector: 9,11  Clouds 3/8 Coverage, Cloud Base 7K.

-Windy

"Four fried chickens and a Coke"

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
Re: WX Reporting
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2020, 02:04:03 PM »
Hmm... weather changed during a long term buff run in WWII
Reference D-Day
 :salute
"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll

Offline lunaticfringe

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2020, 05:50:33 PM »
uhhhhh Windy look out you're window.

a good question would be how long do the clouds last when they pop up?
To Be Prepared for War Is The Most Effectual Means Of Preserving Peace (George Washington)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2020, 05:56:50 PM »
Some of the more fun runs for me were lining up the target with a forward key view, memorizing some landmarks and dropping through clouds to score 30+ objects. Buy that bombardier a beer!  :cheers:

Offline Windycty

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2020, 05:51:08 PM »
uhhhhh Windy look out you're window.

a good question would be how long do the clouds last when they pop up?

Yeah almost never fails...flying along with clear skies on the horizon then...BAM...clouds and low ceiling for half a sector.  Not whining but it would be nice to have some weather reporting for us buff pilots. Additionally, we have winds blowing at different directions at altitudes above 14K but the clouds don't follow those wind patterns that I've noticed.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2020, 05:55:26 PM »
... but the clouds don't follow those wind patterns that I've noticed.

Why would HT make the clouds not follow wind patterns when it would be easier to have them tied to such?

Offline Windycty

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2020, 06:07:46 PM »
I'm not sure how the clouds are modeled in the game, but they sure as hell don't follow the wind patterns at altitude. If the wind is blowing from the West, the clouds should follow that wind direction.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2020, 06:19:25 PM »
Depends on the altitude. Clouds below you are below your altitude. Not to mention (but I will) your forward velocity is always greater than the speed of the clouds in any direction at any altitude.

The winds are 'baked in to' the terrain (as long as arena settings aren't changed) and the key to them is on your map. Predictions of cloud cover, historically, was iffy, at best. Secondary targets may be recommended. Dropping below clouds might occasionally be recommended, as well (though that requires some last minute recalibration and does give up the altitude advantage if interceptors are in range). You can look forward and see if there are obstructive clouds, generally, and you may have time to do one or the other (change targets or drop below the clouds).

I find it kind of immersive, myself.

Offline Windycty

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2020, 06:44:23 PM »
Depends on the altitude. Clouds below you are below your altitude. Not to mention (but I will) your forward velocity is always greater than the speed of the clouds in any direction at any altitude.

(Image removed from quote.)

The winds are 'baked in to' the terrain (as long as arena settings aren't changed) and the key to them is on your map. Predictions of cloud cover, historically, was iffy, at best. Secondary targets may be recommended. Dropping below clouds might occasionally be recommended, as well (though that requires some last minute recalibration and does give up the altitude advantage if interceptors are in range). You can look forward and see if there are obstructive clouds, generally, and you may have time to do one or the other (change targets or drop below the clouds).

Yeah I mostly dive below the clouds and recalibrate as needed, somewhat challenging in mountainous terrain. I've seen some CV drivers, following the cloud cover which is a good tactic to keep the boat safe for a little longer.  Clouds aren't all bad lol, they've saved my bellybutton a few times when a con lined up on my 6 can't see me.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2020, 06:58:30 PM »
Clouds aren't all bad lol, they've saved my bellybutton a few times when a con lined up on my 6 can't see me.

Agreed. Another element of immersiveness that the game didn't always have.  :salute :cheers:

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2020, 09:36:19 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

anyway you can explain the wind to me?  hard to understand 18, to 20k heading north and 14k to 20 heading south, a bit of conflict there.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2020, 10:25:14 PM »

My take on the wind legend:

Each arrow represents wind direction - N, NE, E, SE, S, SW, W, NW

Each layer is at the following altitudes - 14k, 16k, 18k, 20k, 22k, 24k, 26k, 28k

There are actually seven more layers below 14k but typically the wind speed at each of those layers is 0.

The wind speed for each layer from 14k-28k is 20 or 30 knots.

So, at 14k-15.9k the wind is out of the North at 20 knots.

At 22k-23.9k the wind is out of the NorthWest at 30 knots.

My only issue with this is that each layer does not ever replicate.and the winds appear to corkscrew up at 90' (except for the jump from 20-22k which is 120') :S,E,N,W,SE,NE,NW,SW

As far as I know, this pattern is set for the MA no matter the map.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2020, 11:07:21 PM »
ok i get it, top number is altitude lower number is wind speed.  wow thanks.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.