Author Topic: makeahmap question  (Read 575 times)

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
makeahmap question
« on: October 22, 2020, 08:19:34 AM »
The latest map I created with makeahmap has large areas that are 1 foot elevation.  Adjusting water_to_land_range/water_to_land_slope will increase the elevation slightly, but creates dramatic slopes at shorelines.

Attached is a map of the area generated by AH3 TE (crag2) with the 1 foot elevation areas shown in white.  The makeahmap config file is also attached.  All settings were default.

Thanks for suggestions.   :salute
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
Re: makeahmap question
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2020, 04:17:57 PM »
Ok I see now what is the probelm, if you take a look in output/flatten_terrain.pgm all the areas marked there become 1 foot elevation.

See: https://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/Terrain_Generation_From_Geographical_Data#Handling_Water_Bodies

I explain why, the AH water bodies model is defined by terrain elevation, anything above 0 is ground, below is water. So basically it means that every water body MUST be placed at sea level, i.e. altitude = 0. If course it is not the case for real terrains. So makeahmap performs recalculation of altitudes that preserve as much of terrain "texture"  as possible but it means that if there area near a river that is actually lower than the level of the river it will be pushed below 0 and thus flatten to be a ground.

Unfortunately I don't have a solution for this unless you remove your water bodies.

There are two parameter to control this

1. water_alt_limit that would remove water above certain altitude rather than bringing it to 0 altitude and thus do less deformations to the terrain - try values like 500 to 2000 and check outputs to see flatten terrain/map to see water bodies vs flat terrain.
2. You can also keep only largest rivers by setting river_level to lower value 2 or 1 (default is 3). It prevents lots of flatten areas but you loose some smaller rivers.

So play with these parameters and check  output/flatten_terrain.pgm and output/water_bodies.pgm to see the effect, take a look on clipboard map too see how it looks like

And you right - no need to adjust the water to land slope/range - it is a different thing.

Regards,

Artik
Artik, 101 "Red" Squadron, Israel

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
Re: makeahmap question
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2020, 06:29:44 PM »
Water_alt_limit set to 500 did the trick.  Thanks!    :salute
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?