Author Topic: Almost a Bullseye!  (Read 625 times)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Almost a Bullseye!
« on: October 23, 2020, 06:07:15 PM »
Took some ground fire the other day.   Anyone know what calibre?  Is this a 37mm hole?

Offline Cluzig

• Copper Member
Re: Almost a Bullseye!
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2020, 05:08:48 PM »
Took some ground fire the other day.   Anyone know what calibre?  Is this a 37mm hole?

(Image removed from quote.)

It looks like an 88mm at least. Was there an exit or entry hole in opposite side?

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2020, 07:00:52 PM »
88mm!   Ooof!

No, I don't think there was an exit hole out the other side.   Can't say positively though...

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2020, 04:48:27 AM »
It depends on how much schooling the termites had.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2020, 06:56:47 AM »
Double oof!

I was deacking an airfield last night in Greebo's "Jawbone" P-47D-25, and wound up with TWO of these holes in the right wing, knocking out one wing gun.   If they were 88s I would've thought they'd have blown the wing clean off.   37mm?

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2020, 08:12:04 AM »
Not sure if it's modeled, but if something overpens, then it will just punch straight through.

If you look closely, there is a hole in the wing near the H.  IF I recall correctly, that is from that 410's 50mm.  It just punched straight through.
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2020, 09:14:09 AM »
Or this one:

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2020, 06:59:29 PM »
That looks more like a shell detonation than a clean overpen.  You can see scorch marks on the edge of the hole.  It was probably from a 20mm. :headscratch:

I've never seen a clean overpen in this game, in that it hits somewhere on one side, punches straight through and out the other.

The damage you sustained in your 51 was likely from an auto-ack though, which I believe are quad 20's?  I've honestly forgotten.  I've also had a similar hole in the same area in my Spitfire Mk I during a Battle of Britain FSO a few years ago.  Myself and another CJ were engaged with 5 110's, and one of them managed to score a hit on me in that fight in the same area on my Spitfire.  Left a similar hole as well.

Of all the times I've used the 37mm, I've not once seen a fighter survive a hit to that area from it.  And if I recall correctly, the 37mm auto-ack guns are exactly the same as the manned version with the exception of Rate of Fire.  So as I mentioned before, you likely took a hit from an auto-ack 20.
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.