Author Topic: Update. Tempest. Cockpit.  (Read 3719 times)

Offline SpinDoc1

• Nickel Member
Update. Tempest. Cockpit.
« on: October 29, 2020, 01:48:53 PM »
Please please please. Love the new P-38s and the progress there. SO EXCITED to see the updates happening. Now let's get that cartoon paper-sticker like cockpit in my (and I'm sure others) most singularly favorite plane in the game...the TEMPEST!!!

Truth-in-advertising, I have always wanted to fly in a Tempest, and in-game I'm exclusively VR in these fighters - I want to feel like the real deal if I can't get it IRL!

$15 a month should fund this, right?!
AKSpnDoc
Spin Doc's Aces High VR Video channel! https://youtu.be/BKk7_OOHkgI

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Re: Update. Tempest. Cockpit.
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2020, 03:56:04 AM »
I would really like this to happen too. The Tempest is the only AH1-era shape left in the game and so has a really low poly count, both inside and out. From a skinning point of view it has the worst texture scaling I have ever seen on a shape, all the usual AH1 texture stretching and reversal issues and such a crude shape that it even lacks wheel wells. Its way worse than the old P-38s and is a really bad advert for the game.

A lot of the work (and so cost) that goes into making a new or updated 3D shape is in the 3D modelling, animating and skinning of the internal cockpit. However I reckon HTC could get away with using the existing Typhoon cockpit for the Tempest. This would still be a massive improvement over the existing Tempest one. Strictly speaking the RL dash layout etc was not exactly the same for each but the cockpit canopy and frame was carried over from the late model Typhoon so the pilot's view outside would have been the same.

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2020, 06:31:06 AM »
However I reckon HTC could get away with using the existing Typhoon cockpit for the Tempest. This would still be a massive improvement over the existing Tempest one.

Yes.
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline SpinDoc1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2020, 12:38:36 AM »
I would really like this to happen too. The Tempest is the only AH1-era shape left in the game and so has a really low poly count, both inside and out. From a skinning point of view it has the worst texture scaling I have ever seen on a shape, all the usual AH1 texture stretching and reversal issues and such a crude shape that it even lacks wheel wells. Its way worse than the old P-38s and is a really bad advert for the game.

A lot of the work (and so cost) that goes into making a new or updated 3D shape is in the 3D modelling, animating and skinning of the internal cockpit. However I reckon HTC could get away with using the existing Typhoon cockpit for the Tempest. This would still be a massive improvement over the existing Tempest one. Strictly speaking the RL dash layout etc was not exactly the same for each but the cockpit canopy and frame was carried over from the late model Typhoon so the pilot's view outside would have been the same.

And based on real-world interactions...the Tempest is flown WAY MORE than the P-38G in the MA, so while I applaud the updates to the P-38, we really need this Tempest re-done!
AKSpnDoc

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2020, 05:49:59 AM »
And based on real-world interactions...the Tempest is flown WAY MORE than the P-38G in the MA, so while I applaud the updates to the P-38, we really need this Tempest re-done!

All P 38s were updated.

The tempest is a LW beast and lots of new folks fly it for it's ability to run away. So it does get quite a bit of use.

It is bad that it still has AH 1 art though. It is far behind.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 05:54:58 AM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline SpinDoc1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2020, 11:43:01 AM »
All P 38s were updated.

The tempest is a LW beast and lots of new folks fly it for it's ability to run away. So it does get quite a bit of use.

It is bad that it still has AH 1 art though. It is far behind.

QFT!
AKSpnDoc

Offline SpinDoc1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2020, 01:09:54 PM »
Last night I also noticed how prominent the squared-off engine cowl is. Looks polygonal!
AKSpnDoc

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2020, 02:31:24 PM »
Last night I also noticed how prominent the squared-off engine cowl is. Looks polygonal!

Anything that is supposed to be round is polygonal here.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline SpinDoc1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2020, 03:50:22 PM »
Anything that is supposed to be round is polygonal here.

Coogan

Haha, well this one has fewer sides. Like octagonal. Look at the F4U's, beautiful round cowls :-)
AKSpnDoc

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2020, 04:12:37 PM »
Haha, well this one has fewer sides. Like octagonal. Look at the F4U's, beautiful round cowls :-)

At least we don't have square wheels..  (do we)?

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2020, 04:14:53 AM »
The poly count of new AH shapes has gone up enormously over the years as PC video cards have improved, the original AH1-era F4U's likely had octagonal cowlings too. The Tempest is the last of the really low poly shapes left.

Offline SpinDoc1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2021, 01:08:02 PM »
Ok, it's been a year. Time for the obligatory: UPDATE THE TEMPEST! post ;-)
AKSpnDoc

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2021, 01:21:24 PM »
Ok, it's been a year. Time for the obligatory: UPDATE THE TEMPEST! post ;-)

Quite surprised the P38s were redone but not the tempest yet...
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline SpinDoc1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2021, 08:39:55 AM »
Another try! Pretty please?!
AKSpnDoc

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2021, 09:49:32 AM »
Sorry, but that will never happen. The Tempest is so old, it now falls under protection of historic buildings and monuments. Any increase of the polygon count is now strictly forbidden!   :old:
Steam: DrKalv
Elite:Dangerous: Snailman