Author Topic: Interested in VR  (Read 6146 times)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Interested in VR
« on: November 02, 2020, 07:32:16 AM »
Too bad one of the more popular ones is being linked with facebook. That will hamper it's security.

Any others worth a look?

80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Re: Interested in VR
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2020, 07:59:24 AM »
hp Reverb G2, Valve Index, and Pimax Artisan are worth looking at.   The Index may be the only one that is currently available, though.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2020, 09:09:17 AM »
hp Reverb G2, Valve Index, and Pimax Artisan are worth looking at.   The Index may be the only one that is currently available, though.

Thanks
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2020, 10:06:32 AM »
Try getting a used odyssey+ to see how you like it.

Vr is a game changer.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2020, 06:55:18 AM »
Got a vive pro going on 2 years ago - started winning KOTHs about the same time.

Great headset - high price

Have pre ordered the reverb g2 which has better resolution at half the cost which is supposed to ship sometime this month

Makes AH3 a totally different game - you will feel you are sitting inside a p38, close combat is fantastic.

You have the cpu for it, no excuse there.

I'd suggest a reverb g2 for the best bang for the dollar

<S>

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2020, 07:29:01 AM »
Thanks for the input Eagler.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2020, 03:09:11 PM »
Shuffler if it's strictly PC gaming (or simming) then the Reverb G2 is the way to go.

For general VR then the Quest 2 is worth considering. However it does have caveats. It runs off a USB3 port, so uses more CPU than GPU and you need a good CPU for it. The flipside is it can also act as a standalone device, and some of the non-Sim VR stuff on it is quite cool. Games like Onward (VR crowdstrike sort of), Population One (battle royal), Vader Immortal (Star Wars with more star wars stuff coming), and entertainment capabilities. If none of that interests you... then Reverb G2.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2020, 04:33:06 PM »
Quest 2 will be a security issue requiring a facebook account. I was interested in it till they came out with that requirement.

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2020, 04:56:22 PM »
Yeah as a RiftS owner that'll be a deal breaker for me and anything Oculus/FB branded beyond when that gets forced on me after 2023. I didn't buy it to be some social media thing contrary to what they might think.

Between that and my year and change old, not exactly cheap headset being largely unsupported for months now has left a bad taste with me for that brand. No tweaks or fixes or new features. Some things actually broken by the updates! Almost all updates of any substance were entirely for the Quest. No shot at my being a return customer. All the good people that created the Oculus have been run off by the FB people that clearly have another idea.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2020, 07:28:09 PM »
I'm still happy with my Rift CV1, but am favorably considering upgrading to the hp reverb g2.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2020, 07:37:14 PM »
Yeah as a RiftS owner that'll be a deal breaker for me and anything Oculus/FB branded beyond when that gets forced on me after 2023. I didn't buy it to be some social media thing contrary to what they might think.

Between that and my year and change old, not exactly cheap headset being largely unsupported for months now has left a bad taste with me for that brand. No tweaks or fixes or new features. Some things actually broken by the updates! Almost all updates of any substance were entirely for the Quest. No shot at my being a return customer. All the good people that created the Oculus have been run off by the FB people that clearly have another idea.

I have a facebook account, no friends no nothing. Don't see what the big deal is.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2020, 10:32:08 PM »
I have a facebook account, no friends no nothing. Don't see what the big deal is.

If you never use it... no big deal. Link anything and it is a security risk. VR attached to social media is even worse. Facebook is already actively selling VR customers. Even without your name, third parties can identify you pretty accurately and easily.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 10:45:05 PM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2020, 05:44:41 PM »
At the end of the day the current ecospheres for VR are facebook or steam. I cannot see much difference privacy wise in either.

What exact security issue are you concerned with about facebook?

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2020, 05:57:08 PM »
Oh I have a FB page. Hardly use it for anything or look at it much unless my kids tell me they tagged me with something wondering why I didn't like it in eight seconds (how rude!). My wife lurks on my page. It's her entertainment. That's about it. I thought it would be cool but found its not really that cool. For me anyway. Lots of people like it.

My problem with the Oculus is it's being forced on you whether you want it or not. Has nothing to do with the operation of the thing. Maybe I don't want the world to know I just put on my headset? I don't play a lot of games other than this and IL2 and hardly have time for that. No need for Steam either. I get that I'm being tracked all day anyway, its just the in your face or else thing that put me off.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2020, 10:56:24 PM »
tbf I don't really like facebook, my wife is on it and it seems to be an utter cesspit of gossip and other rubbish.

However when it comes to VR I believe fb have a vision of building a community. Think big community big development and some very long term VR and AR vision. They can use their existing infrastructure to leverage user management and that makes sense.

Outside of AH you have games which are natively multiplayer and include always on voice comms. You have games like Onward where you join servers, are placed into a team, and can be playing with people from all of the world. This seems to be a common theme whether it is a FPS shooter, battle royal, strategy or sports game. I suspect FBs community vision is mixed in with a desire to dominate VR, but hey a decent managed community might not be that bad. I mean would AH be better if we had to use real names, and there was a big ban stick around the corner if you misbehaved?