Author Topic: Interested in VR  (Read 6129 times)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: Interested in VR
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2020, 09:58:34 PM »
If you work in IT security and take it so lightly.

Like I said. Your choice. I make my own choices based on my experience over 61 years.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Mayhem

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2020, 02:43:32 AM »
Seams controller tracking on the g2 sucks ... 2nd page of the review.

"With all the fantastic features of this new headset—and there are several—it's a real shame to have the whole experience marred by wonky controller tracking. The Reverb G2 is undoubtedly the best consumer-grade headset to get if image quality is of utmost importance. If you need to read text or see fine details, the screen in this headset is about as good as it gets. Racing and flight simulation fans will love the Reverb G2. But, if tracking accuracy is your biggest priority, you may want to skip this headset."

Me I really want to know about head tracking and how bad the FOV is.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/hp-reverb-g2

EDIT: I've got about 2-3 weeks left on a Valve index, I passed on my last one to see how good the g2 was going to be.

I'm not very concerned over hand/controller tracking, but Image quality, FOV, and Head tracking are high priorities.

I'm not a big fan of Windows MR and Facebook is a deal breaker on principle.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 02:53:55 AM by Mayhem »
"Destination anywhere! So Far Gone, I'm almost There."
The Damned! (Est. 1988) Damned if we do - No fun if we don't!

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2020, 05:37:51 AM »
I've been using the G2 since I got it Friday 13/2020, so a good 4 days worth. I didn't find the same issues with the hand controllers as the reviewer quoted in the above post.  Mind you I, like Mayhem don't really care all that much about the controllers or games that require them, but the games I tried with the controllers all worked fine, certainly no worse than the G1 Reverb, or my Index, or even Rift S. 

Cockpit games, ie flight sims and racing games, the G2 is easily the best VR HMD I've had, and that list is Rift/Vive/Vive Pro/Odyssey/Odyssey+/Pimax/Index/Rift S/Reverb G1/Reverb G2 so far.  The head tracking is excellent IMO, I have zero complaints about my experience in DCS, Ah3(offline), Star Wars Squadrons, Elite, Il2, etc. 

FOV is essentially the same as the Reverb G1, which I've been using about a year now.  It's hard to recall the other HMDs exactly, but I think the Index had a bit better FOV, as did the Pimax obviously. but the G2's FOV isn't some sort of game breaking issue.  Again, zero complaints regarding the FOV from me.  The "sweet spot" is expanded quite a bit from the G1 Reverb, it is instantly "there" for me right when I put the headset on now that I have the straps adjusted to my head.  The overall experience with the G2 is excellent IMO, again, easily the best HMD I've used so far in terms of sit down/cockpit games.  I've continually sold off VR HMDs as the next/better ones come out, and I instantly put my G1 Reverbs up for sale and ordered a 2nd G2 for our other PCs, within a couple hours of using the G2. 

IMO it's well worth the cost, and skipping the G2 and waiting for the next better HMD IMO is a personal choice, but doing that means you'll never get your foot into the water, as there is always a better unit coming down the pipeline.  I think the G2 will hold the top spot on the ladder for at least a year, as the last G1 did, so far as sim players go.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 05:43:09 AM by Gman »

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2020, 06:32:52 AM »
Saw they tested g2 tracking with a table tennis game called Eleven

The reviewer was impressed

I downloaded the game and had a great experience with my vive pro.

I haven't used the vive controllers but will start as I love table tennis and this game once tweaked is a blast!

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2020, 08:37:44 AM »
I watched a review where the reviewer wished that the G2 could be bought without controllers at a cheaper price so he could use the savings toward Index controllers.
If that's your issue, and you have the cash, apparently the Index controllers are a good option.

:cheers:
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2020, 09:44:41 AM »
I am not sure I would ever use the controllers. I am interested in the G2 though. Watching reviews.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2020, 12:16:34 PM »
Oh I'm not silly enough to think that FB has the market cornered on tracking me. It's not that. I know as soon as I log onto the internet there are multiple entities tracking my every move. Heck even my every though it seems! I don't know how many times I was just thinking about something and up an ad for that exact thing pops in my browser! It ain't just FB doing that although these days they're certainly a big contributor. As I said before, I have a FB page but FB is just not my thing. It was cool for a couple of months but I quickly lost interest.

My issue with them isn't really one of security. It kinda goes to what Vulcan was saying about them throwing a ton of money into the VR thing. He's right, they have! But IMO their master plan for VR doesn't mesh with what I want it for. Yeah they bought out Oculus. They were the tip of the spear for mainstream consumer VR at the time. That's why they bought them! I believe the Oculus people were all about making the bestest VR headset they could and if let go prolly still would be. But FB got their fingers into what they were doing and drove a lot of those people away largely because of the corporate master plan. FB is throwing all the money into the community angle far more it seems than the headset quality. The headsets from RiftS to Quest to Quest2 are only little baby steps in performance, no quantum leaps. I have no desire to be part of that really. For example, I installed an app from the store because I thought it would be cool to watch a rocket launch in VR. It was actually me standing in a theatre around a bunch of gnome looking things (other users) that all had names I could interact with. Not having logged on thru FB I couldn't anyway but I was OK with that! I just wanted to watch the dang rocket man! Not the Warcraft version!

What really soured me is that this crap really started happening AFTER I'd bought the RiftS. I got it in July and had multiple problems out of the gate. Had connectivity issues with the DP and the USB3. Had multiple controllers randomly showing up that couldn't just be removed. The DP and multiple controller thing was taken care of after several updates but the USB3 thing persisted for quite a while and it wasn't just me. I bought the USB3 card they recommended but it still had random issues with the headset crashing. I think the thing rides the bleeding edge of power consumption that USB will deliver and that's the problem but they never addressed it directly. I ended up buying a powered hub that I only have the headset plugged into. They recommended against using a hub. Haven't had any issues with it crashing since. OK, so I bought it in July a year ago. In December (last), the genii at FB/Oculus decided that rather than have a separate set of drivers and software for each headset they made they'd homogenize all theirs into one. Which was great--if you had the new Quest--but no so much if you had the RiftS. If you had a Go they literally dropped support. Immediately I had a drop in performance. This was echoed by many, many users and was basically ignored. They went all in on the Quest trying to optimize the link that would basically let it do exactly what the RiftS did. What the heck are we doing here? So here I had a 6 month old $400 headset that was being kicked to the curb by it's own  manufacturer! Not much has changed. There are still bugs in the software that have gone on for almost a year since the software merge. All updates since contain things for the Quest and next to nothing (if anything at all) of any note for the RiftS. When I just looked at my recent updates for Puma I looked at the release notes for the last two. Yep, all Quest again.

So if FB wants to make some social VR community with their stuff I say good for them, it just doesn't mesh with what I want to do with it. But if you are is it too much to ask that you support your own products for more than 6 months? That ish just ain't right. I get that new stuff is gonna come out all the time but that was just nuts. Because of this I have an impossible time considering plunking down another large chunk of money for one of their headsets. The security thing is not really an issue beyond they're being kind of in your face about what they're gonna do. It's a we're gonna take your money, screw you and then screw you again thing! Can I at least get a kiss if you're gonna do that? I know I'm being "followed" online all the time. It's the price of doing business if you want to use the internet. And that ain't new.

Meanwhile, does it work? Yeah. Crushes AH pretty well with a 2060 pushing it. I guess, until they come out with another fubar update that they figure will force me into buying another of their headsets to "fix" the problem. If that happens I definitely will fix "the problem".
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2020, 06:40:12 AM »
Have you seen these turds testifying on tv these days?

They know the power they have and the changes they can affect.

Eagler

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2020, 10:47:12 PM »
I am not sure I would ever use the controllers. I am interested in the G2 though. Watching reviews.

The G2?
I ordered one on 20 Sept.
Got an email yesterday with a blank line and the a single period. ???
Logged into Connect hoping to find out what was happening. Missed the appropriate submenu somewhere. Had to call the 800 number, and surprise, a quick response from a live person, a friendly one at that. Kudos to Connect (formerly Connect PC, or something like that) for their customer service.
Turns out they are backed up until January on new orders due to delays in receiving product. Mine "should arrive by late this month, or before mid-December."
I blame Gman and all his countrymen for the delay.   ;)

:cheers:
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline haggerty

• Silver Member
      • Facebook
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2020, 12:28:08 PM »
HiTech also requires an account to play Aces High.  Logging in to Oculus with a Facebook account is no big deal, it will provide features that outweigh any security risk.  I already have a Facebook account with enough pictures to develop a deepfake of myself, they aren't going to be watching me play video games just because they are a big company.

I just ordered the Oculus Quest 2 for my kids, I was going to go with the Rift S, but it didnt seem to have any large benefits over the Quest, and the Quest can be used stand alone and wireless.  Just takes a USB-C cable to play some PC games.  I used to have the original Rift and used it for Aces High.  I enjoyed the flying experience with it, but was much worse in combat.  I thought my depth perception was way off and I wasnt hitting targets even though it looked like I should be.  My situational awareness was actually much lower than when I use hat keys on a joystick.
-Ninja250, -Spectre, -UBerHAGS, -FieroGT, -Haggerty, -Hellcat -Misawa, -Gloom -Nobunaga -Cobrakai

Offline finnster

• Zinc Member
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2020, 04:07:03 PM »
FRom what I've heard, the Reverb G2 is a really good choice. Great resolution and easy setup.
Good sound as well. I wish the FOV was bigger, but it's hard to find a wide FOV headset AND great resolution and clarity at a reasonable price. The Pimax Artisan is good- and a bit cheaper than the G2, but like all Pimax HMDs, it needs to be set up properly for each user. Since the Artisan's FOV is the narrowest of the Pimax current lineup at 140 Horizontal, it's probably not as tricky to set up. The G2 definitely will have better resolution- fantastic image quality. It could be worth an extra hundred or so bucks for that.
 (I have an 8KX- and I love it. Same resolution as the G2 but with slightly lower image quality I think. It's amazing in any simulator, but it comes with a really high price tag- and it needs a good cpu and GPU to run at 4k per eye.  Probably not the best choice if you're just looking to get your 'feet wet' in VR.)
Finnster

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2020, 05:30:37 PM »
If you work in IT security and take it so lightly.

Like I said. Your choice. I make my own choices based on my experience over 61 years.

So victims of "waving your hands" huh ;)

gman thanks for the info, the G2 is on my wishlist now. My Rift CV1 is about falling apart, its got the right audio problem and one of the straps has died, one of my base stations decided it hated life the other day as well. But it is 4 years old has been treated harshly.

At the same time I want to update my Quest to a Quest 2. The Quest standalone game experience is so much fun (I love Onward). I've got 3 boys and they're all VR addicts.

Offline Mayhem

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2020, 10:56:06 PM »
HiTech also requires an account to play Aces High.

Bzzt Wrong .. You can download install and play every version of AH for free with no account. You only need an account to play online multiplayer. If you have an older version you have lan and limited online play.
"Destination anywhere! So Far Gone, I'm almost There."
The Damned! (Est. 1988) Damned if we do - No fun if we don't!

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2020, 10:40:47 AM »
VR,

Yes its a game changer. Once you go there tho, you will never want to go back to a flat screen!

I highly suggest buying nothing till you have done an actual demo tho. Pixel density is what really counts. Most vr sets are merely lens systems focusing down on screens. Without a high pixel density you will see the static substrate that the pixels are embedded in. What has been called the screen door effect.

Now in dark scenes, this is greatly reduced, not a bother. But AH is mostly bright, blue sky scenes. The screen door effect is quite visible and imo bad for your eyes. They are constantly trying to focus on what your looking at causing eye strain. My eyes would be buzzing after 45 min. I had to take the rift off to get them to relax. I percieved this as doing damage to my already, fading old guy eyes. I was so disappointed, I did stop playing! Look thru the screen door of your house doors at your pet playing, your kids etc. for a long period of time. I would guess it would be annoying.

So be aware of what you are buying. I keep hoping the industry would get better, but...1600/eye ppi is considered what is required for best look. This will tax a vid card and your pc as well, so be aware. I hope you find what you like, that it works well and protect your eyes. It is truly amazing as far as other game aspects. I could never do a barrel roll with a flat screen, with vr, 1st time out it was a cake walk.

:salute
ASROCK X99 Taichi, INTEL i7 6850@4.5GHz, GIGABYTE GTX 1070G1, Kingston HyperX 3000MHz DDR4, OCZ 256GB RD400, Seasonic 750W PSU, SONY BRAVIA 48W600B, Windows 10 Pro /64

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2020, 01:13:46 PM »
Wrong thread??

Sorry about my post above

Eagler
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 01:21:46 PM by Eagler »