Author Topic: Re-set the 2-week trial after a year (or 6 months?)  (Read 2971 times)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
Re: Re-set the 2-week trial after a year (or 6 months?)
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2020, 12:57:30 PM »
And hence would not be a net gain but a net loss.  Because anyone who is going to stay would not be deterred by the lack of 2 free weeks. And anyone who is deterred by the lack of 2 free weeks would not stay anyway.

I don't know if I would totally agree. Logically you are correct, but from a marketing angle I think you are underestimating  the psychological "lure" power of come claim your "free" thing.  By the time they have downloaded the new versions, gotten their controls setup and played for two weeks you've at least gotten them there in the arena and at least have a chance to convince them to stay. Getting them that far is the main lift. 

You could really say the same thing for the two week trial even for new players.  Anyone who is interested enough in WWII air combat could just pay to try a month.  it's only $15 bucks.  Logically $15 is nothing to try out a game for a month, but psychologically I don't think most people would go for that.

Logical and psychological are two different things.

Like HBO occasionally has free weekends where you can watch even if you are not a subscriber.  Repeatedly at least once a year it seems like.  That might be an alternative approach.  You could control that more.  Choose time when people will be home live Memorial day weekend or Thanksgiving or Xmas week.  Have a free week that anyone can play even if they had already had a trial before.  That has the marketing advantage of a limited time offer that might get it spread around.  Also, this approach wouldn't be something you would have to commit to long term.  You can choose when to have a free AH week when and if you want or never again.  The key would be to advertise it well in advance so word can spread before the event.

$0.02. 

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2020, 02:22:24 PM »
Like HBO occasionally has free weekends where you can watch even if you are not a subscriber.  Repeatedly at least once a year it seems like.  That might be an alternative approach.  You could control that more.  Choose time when people will be home live Memorial day weekend or Thanksgiving or Xmas week.  Have a free week that anyone can play even if they had already had a trial before.  That has the marketing advantage of a limited time offer that might get it spread around.  Also, this approach wouldn't be something you would have to commit to long term.  You can choose when to have a free AH week when and if you want or never again.  The key would be to advertise it well in advance so word can spread before the event.

I like that idea.

- oldman

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2020, 04:27:53 PM »
i watch hbo every time they have it for free, won't subscribe.

what makes me pay is if they'll give it to you 1 or 2 months for free and i forget to unsubscribe. so i pay for a month, watch it since i already paid, then forget about it next month.

that's not how hitech wants it.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2020, 05:14:04 PM »
i watch hbo every time they have it for free, won't subscribe.

what makes me pay is if they'll give it to you 1 or 2 months for free and i forget to unsubscribe. so i pay for a month, watch it since i already paid, then forget about it next month.

that's not how hitech wants it.

semp

The question is, how many new subscribers do they get though? As Hitech stated, they wouldn't do it if it wasn't beneficial.

Unlike Aces High, HBO doesn't depend on subscribers to make the business entertaining, by that I mean, more people playing AH makes the fights bigger and thus more action and combat for subscribers, thus more people are likely to subscribe for that action. Its very much a chain reaction for fhe most part. HBO only depends on subscribers for revenue but does not depend on subscribers for entertainment.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2020, 06:19:28 PM »
why don't you send an email to hitech, pretty sure he'll tell you every thing about his business.

then again he just gave an explanation, you just didn't like the answer.

used to work at an insurance company, had a thousand kids like you, always came in with ideas that had already been tried and failed. but they were always sure this time it would work. and then the whine was because old timers didn't want to change. they never saw they could "save" the company by just doing the work.

so do your job and play the game, if you aren't having fun then figure out what's wrong in how you play. let hitech do his.

semp

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2020, 07:02:51 PM »
LOL HBOs free days let's me know I am not missing a thing.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2020, 08:34:18 PM »
why don't you send an email to hitech, pretty sure he'll tell you every thing about his business.

then again he just gave an explanation, you just didn't like the answer.

used to work at an insurance company, had a thousand kids like you, always came in with ideas that had already been tried and failed. but they were always sure this time it would work. and then the whine was because old timers didn't want to change. they never saw they could "save" the company by just doing the work.

so do your job and play the game, if you aren't having fun then figure out what's wrong in how you play. let hitech do his.

semp

I never stated that I didn't like Hitechs answer. I understand his answer, but I also understand trips answer.

I was responding to you, not Hitech.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 08:37:01 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2020, 09:30:10 PM »
I never stated that I didn't like Hitechs answer. I understand his answer, but I also understand trips answer.

I was responding to you, not Hitech.

of course.  but hitech also posted that new players only play for like 15 minutes and I am not quoting him directly, that is just based on my memory, then they quit and never log in again.

were you around when the push for steam was here?  dont know how many actually joined, but not many went past those 15 minutes.

semp

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2020, 11:35:21 AM »
of course.  but hitech also posted that new players only play for like 15 minutes and I am not quoting him directly, that is just based on my memory, then they quit and never log in again.

were you around when the push for steam was here?  dont know how many actually joined, but not many went past those 15 minutes.

semp

Remember that Hitechs post was a logical assumption or hypothesis, just as Trips was, just as this wish is. No one truly knows if they are right until it's actually implemented.

I personally feel that this promotion would work, because I feel like giving a player the ability to retry something at no loss is beneficial to them, and the game. It would increase the #s in the MA which might make more people resubscribe because the fights appear bigger and the game looks more popular. If a player realizes he has to pay and does not choose to subscribe, to me, that is an opportunity loss. There is a chance that they might actually subscribe if they get to try it. At least they would increase the #s in the MA which would be beneficial to everyone who is playing.

With steam, I feel like maybe we got on steam too soon before some things were iron pressed. That being said, I feel like steam is a great chance to run promotions and be marketable. Im not sure how it all works though. Hitech saying people didn't stay longer than 15 minutes was a while ago, so perhaps things have changed considering new training mods have been implemented.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2020, 11:52:57 AM »
Remember that Hitechs post was a logical assumption or hypothesis, just as Trips was, just as this wish is. No one truly knows if they are right until it's actually implemented.

I personally feel that this promotion would work, because I feel like giving a player the ability to retry something at no loss is beneficial to them, and the game. It would increase the #s in the MA which might make more people resubscribe because the fights appear bigger and the game looks more popular. If a player realizes he has to pay and does not choose to subscribe, to me, that is an opportunity loss. There is a chance that they might actually subscribe if they get to try it. At least they would increase the #s in the MA which would be beneficial to everyone who is playing.

With steam, I feel like maybe we got on steam too soon before some things were iron pressed. That being said, I feel like steam is a great chance to run promotions and be marketable. Im not sure how it all works though. Hitech saying people didn't stay longer than 15 minutes was a while ago, so perhaps things have changed considering new training mods have been implemented.

Remember that HiTech's post was a business decision made by a person who started a business and made it successful.

Your post is by a person who complains about 15 bucks a month for a game that he can play any time day or night for that whole month.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 11:54:33 AM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2020, 12:38:26 PM »
Remember that HiTech's post was a business decision made by a person who started a business and made it successful.

Your post is by a person who complains about 15 bucks a month for a game that he can play any time day or night for that whole month.

I'm not complaining. I am looking at ways to get more people into the game.

I really wish you guys would stop putting emotions and words in my mouth that I never said or had.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2020, 01:05:09 PM »

I really wish you guys would stop putting emotions and words in my mouth that I never said or had.

Same. It's just an idea. We understand the business facts behind Hitech's comment and our suggestions were just that. A suggestion.
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2020, 01:13:48 PM »

Right
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2020, 03:41:39 PM »
I always wondered which was a better way to go, flat fee or subscription?

Say 5 million to design, coad and start a game (have no idea of numbers it would really cost but....)

Selling per unit at $50 each you would need to sell 100,000 to break even

Selling subscription at $15 a month would be like 5000 players paying for a bit over 5 and a half years to cover it.

And say after 20 years would switching to a flat fee be enough to cover operating cost once everything is all up and running?

Tuff to make the numbers add up.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2020, 04:52:03 PM »
I always wondered which was a better way to go, flat fee or subscription?

Say 5 million to design, coad and start a game (have no idea of numbers it would really cost but....)

Selling per unit at $50 each you would need to sell 100,000 to break even

Selling subscription at $15 a month would be like 5000 players paying for a bit over 5 and a half years to cover it.

And say after 20 years would switching to a flat fee be enough to cover operating cost once everything is all up and running?

Tuff to make the numbers add up.

That would depend...... are HOs involved?      :neener:
80th FS "Headhunters"