Author Topic: Active Aces High Squadrons  (Read 8103 times)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Re: Active Aces High Squadrons
« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2020, 07:39:51 AM »
There's not as much 'plenty of that' as you claim. Individual organized squad nights or even a semi-regularly 2 squadron rivalry does not populate the arena to its full current potential (if all squadrons organized one night for all of its currently active MA participants to log on at the same time it would result in an arena with over 300 players). I'm as much a promoter of the Axis and Allies arena as anyone. Back when it was Combat Tour I designed and submitted animated banners to promote it on the Aces High main page. When you feel prone to create another MNM thread to promote that to the community, I'll likely support you in such without interceding with this project there. Feel free to use the resource I'm attempting to create to contact as many squads as you think will be interested. Thanks for your enthusiasm regarding MNM boiling over onto mine regarding a different thing, entirely.  :D

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #61 on: November 16, 2020, 08:06:28 AM »
Agreed sir.

I will try and bring the Regulators up to speed on this subject and hopefully will participate in the future.

Our current squad night is Monday nights in the MA usually around 9-10pm eastern time.
"Show me on the doll where the bad man touched you"---Betty

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #62 on: November 16, 2020, 08:09:44 AM »
Thank you. Do the Regulators currently have a web page?  :)

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #63 on: November 16, 2020, 09:18:11 AM »
Thank you. Do the Regulators currently have a web page?  :)

Not sure. I know of the facebook page

CO--The Bad Guys

Offline Mako-

• Zinc Member
« Reply #64 on: November 16, 2020, 09:25:07 AM »
Big Fight War Night
Calling all Squadron Commanders - join the battle!

Sent this off to the 325th command to get dates and times and will get back to you. We've also added a new member to the sqd so you might want to do a refresh for current info.

Edit:
No website yet but if there is enough interest I could throw something together. Once created I will send an update.

<S>
Mako
Ops Officer 325th Checkertails VFG
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 09:27:54 AM by Mako- »
Mako

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #65 on: November 16, 2020, 11:31:23 AM »
Thanks, Mako <S>.

Offline SpinDoc1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #66 on: November 16, 2020, 12:29:18 PM »
I concur with the assessment that Squadrons are a huge part of Aces High, both for the historical significance and attachment to real-world ops, as well as the function of uniting players in-game. However, the current system for "finding" squadrons is a bit difficult. Many modern games have the function to join clans, corps, squads, etc. integrated with the platform. In Aces High there's no easy way to surf the content and info in-game. As evidenced by some discussion here in the past couple months, not all players know of (or use) the BBS here. So, how then do folks find good squadrons to play with? Maybe a new in-game feature with pages to advertise the various squadrons? Maybe a way to contact squadron reps easier in-game?
AKSpnDoc
Spin Doc's Aces High VR Video channel! https://youtu.be/BKk7_OOHkgI

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #67 on: November 16, 2020, 12:33:20 PM »
I concur with the assessment that Squadrons are a huge part of Aces High, both for the historical significance and attachment to real-world ops, as well as the function of uniting players in-game. However, the current system for "finding" squadrons is a bit difficult. Many modern games have the function to join clans, corps, squads, etc. integrated with the platform. In Aces High there's no easy way to surf the content and info in-game. As evidenced by some discussion here in the past couple months, not all players know of (or use) the BBS here. So, how then do folks find good squadrons to play with? Maybe a new in-game feature with pages to advertise the various squadrons? Maybe a way to contact squadron reps easier in-game?

Squads looking for recruits actively do so in game.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #68 on: November 16, 2020, 01:02:34 PM »
Squads looking for recruits actively do so in game.

One does not choose a squad

but is chosen to be in a squad. :D

CO--The Bad Guys

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #69 on: November 16, 2020, 05:32:10 PM »
Basically, the information I'd like to collect and update directly from squadrons would be:

1) Current preferred name in the MA (some squadrons change it regularly to amuse)
2) Current C.O. (and various other administrative members, if desired)
3) List of active members (rank or status optional)
4) Website address (if there is one)
5) Squadron decal, insignia, or emblem (if one exists)
6) A screenshot (if desired)
7) contact email address/addresses you want this newsletter/squadron database sent to
8) Any interesting or humorous anecdote you wish to share

All of this information will be used to maintain a squadron database for new and existing players who want to contact/join/challenge/coordinate and will be helpful when featuring a squadron in the newsletter (this has been done before on the BBS, IIRC).

With 60+ squadrons there should be something new every month if not week to share with the community.

I'm sure there's many a talented writer in the community and submissions are not only welcome but encouraged (I'd feel rather silly writing about squadrons, myself, not being intimately familiar with all of them). Of course, things of a 'lampoon' nature are not strictly discouraged but substance that is obviously mean spirited and harmful to the community are not guaranteed to make it past editing. ;)

Working copy image so far:

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #70 on: November 23, 2020, 10:35:07 PM »
Web page dedicated to currently active AH MA squadrons:

https://arlogu3.wixsite.com/mysite/aces-high-squadrons

Offline Canspec

• Silver Member
« Reply #71 on: November 25, 2020, 12:48:54 PM »
One does not choose a squad

but is chosen to be in a squad. :D

Maybe new players need to be automatically placed in an active squad when they join up....might make them feel more part of the game.
Gnat
The Kommando for FSO
AoM
Der Wander Zirkus
GFC

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #72 on: November 25, 2020, 01:08:49 PM »
Maybe new players need to be automatically placed in an active squad when they join up....might make them feel more part of the game.

No. Lack of choice isn't the answer. But having a source to find active squadrons was always a delight for me. In multiple games and communities during my time as an online combat flight sim fanatic I've been fortunate enough to find a dedicated thread or other online source that gave me a virtual shopping list of squadrons to choose from, complete with web sites that gave me details of that squadron's personality, members and ways to sign on.

This is nothing but an essential way for squadrons to grow and thrive in the game. Some squadrons in AH are hanging on by a thread and if they just had an effective way to promote themselves they could grow.

And promoting more squadron participation is a good thing. FSO does this but promotion for the main arena, which is the magnet for most players, would help regrow the population. Squad competition, organization and participation on a grand scale and at a common time/date.

:cheers: :cool:

Offline SKOzone

• Zinc Member
« Reply #73 on: November 27, 2020, 09:55:28 AM »
The Skyknights are still very active.

SKOzone

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #74 on: November 27, 2020, 01:58:32 PM »
The Skyknights are still very active.

SKOzone

Could use some stats here (website, contact email, C.O., # players and # players who flew in the MA this month.

Squad insignia and a short bit about what the SKs are would be the cherry on top.

Please. :)