Author Topic: So, is my router done routing?  (Read 629 times)

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
So, is my router done routing?
« on: November 12, 2020, 09:28:57 AM »
Advice time from the larger coconuts that we have.
I'm pretty sure my Synology RT2600ac wifi router started pining for the fjords yesterday. Do you agree?
I watch a lot of YT videos on the smart boobtube downstairs and yesterday the Drachinifel videos began to NOT start streaming. Sister said she was having a few issues too so I Columbo-ed around and found the wifi was KaPut. Noticed the desktop had no internet and I power cycled the modem and router a couple of times with no change and called sphincter cable about it. Right off the bat they announce a problem with YT streaming videos but I continue as my interweb is broke. Strange as it seems the first guy I got to was able to help me determine the router was the issue; we just bypassed it and the desktop was able to connect. I did check both cat5 cables I use to connect equipment and both functioned nominally.
Now I would think the basic pass through of the internet connectivity from the WAN to LAN ports on the router is somewhat simple but I could be wrong.
Calling Synology next but wanted to see if anybody had other things I could investigate. Oh yea, forgot to mention I did hardware reset the router with no change to internet on desktop or wifi problems.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
Re: So, is my router done routing?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2020, 10:16:37 AM »
I can verify that both YT and YTTV were down for a large area of the US for a bit last night. Don't know for how long as I'd switched to something else but it was back up by 11et.

I'm not an IT pro but have been thru a couple of routers and have had to troubleshoot them over the years. So are you getting a wifi signal out of the router at all? I have an app on my android phone that let's me see it and also any of my neighbor's. That'll at least tell you the radios aren't shot. If no internet look at the indicator lights on the router (I have a separate modem and router) to see if it's getting internet thru the modem. If not, the next step would be looking at your cable modem. I've had these go bad more often than routers BTW. They also  have a bunch of lights on them that indicate what's happening. Make sure the upstream internet light is on. That indicates the internet is reaching your house and so, the modem. If it's not, it would indicate a problem with the cable that may or may not be outside your house. There's a couple of things you can do before calling the cable company and waiting all day for them to maybe show up! Check any connections from where it comes in to the house all the way to the modem. Loosen and tighten them back up. If there are any splitters in the line they're likely suspects.

If you can't find anything obvious going on physically with the cable, call the cable company and see if they can reset their modem from their end. Usually they can. If they can't, the problem is going to be one of those things I listed above. They'll send someone out to troubleshoot the cable coming into the house and their modem. If it's an all in one modem/router from the cable company they will probably just replace it.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2020, 10:51:33 AM »
Routers and modems don't last forever, some five years and poof. With luck a few more, with the other type of luck a couple of years and done.

However, this little story tells about a different issue: A customer had no WiFi, however as he was going through the issue on the phone with the dirty expensive ISP subsidiary techie they could verify that the wired connection worked just fine. Then they gave a young semi-official guy a try but still no success. So they finally called me to pay a visit, telling the "competitor" that Bizman will fix it by pushing a button... And yes, there was no WiFi available on the laptop. Checked that there was still the WiFi key saved and unplugged the router-modem from mains. When the lights started to come up I noticed that the Wlan led wasn't lit. As I asked about it the customer said that he thinks it hadn't been lit lately but it used to be before. Wondering what could cause it to go off without fumbling with the settings via a browser I accidentally noticed a tiny little button below the led. Same texture, same colour as the entire box and flush with the surface with hardly any gap. Pushed the button and voilą! Fixed the issue by pushing a button. The young guy had asked for a note for educational purposes in case I was able to fix it. I wrote it. "Push the Wlan button to enable it."

Sometimes you may switch a thing off with some household cleaning equipment like a dust mop.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2020, 10:56:36 AM »
I can verify that both YT and YTTV were down for a large area of the US for a bit last night. Don't know for how long as I'd switched to something else but it was back up by 11et.

I'm not an IT pro but have been thru a couple of routers and have had to troubleshoot them over the years. So are you getting a wifi signal out of the router at all? I have an app on my android phone that let's me see it and also any of my neighbor's. That'll at least tell you the radios aren't shot. If no internet look at the indicator lights on the router (I have a separate modem and router) to see if it's getting internet thru the modem. If not, the next step would be looking at your cable modem. I've had these go bad more often than routers BTW. They also  have a bunch of lights on them that indicate what's happening. Make sure the upstream internet light is on. That indicates the internet is reaching your house and so, the modem. If it's not, it would indicate a problem with the cable that may or may not be outside your house. There's a couple of things you can do before calling the cable company and waiting all day for them to maybe show up! Check any connections from where it comes in to the house all the way to the modem. Loosen and tighten them back up. If there are any splitters in the line they're likely suspects.

If you can't find anything obvious going on physically with the cable, call the cable company and see if they can reset their modem from their end. Usually they can. If they can't, the problem is going to be one of those things I listed above. They'll send someone out to troubleshoot the cable coming into the house and their modem. If it's an all in one modem/router from the cable company they will probably just replace it.

I do believe we get a wifi signal as the bars on the smart tv screen are 4 in the green but when you looked into it more the tv could not come up with DNS numbers and was unable to download anything. Modem lights look good and again, if I connect the desktop directly into the modem it will connect OK, that eliminates the two cat5 cables and the router from the connection. Using both cables separately connecting the desktop direct to modem, the desktop gets internet with each one OK. That narrows it down to router in my coconut.
I did talk to Synology support and it seems the router isn't getting addresses the way it should and used to. They have opened a ticket and hopefully it'll be a warranty deal. Can't remember when we got the darned thing now though. I do know it took a longer time for us to go wifi than most.

edit for Bizman post- there is a wifi button on the router and the sister had moved it recently. One of those on the side where you could hit it and not know. Didn't change a thing.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 11:00:46 AM by fuzeman »
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2020, 11:14:42 AM »
Yeah if you can plug directly into the modem and get internet it certainly does narrow things down to the router. As Biz says they can just go bad for no apparent reason. I had one once that had all the Lan ports up and died I dunno, because it was a Tuesday or something! Could be this had happened to yours and it literally can't see the internet anymore. Nothing coming in so nothing going out. If you've done a reset and it still doesn't come up I'd say that's a bad sign as that would have cleared any settings that might have been a conflict.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2020, 11:39:17 AM »
BTW a reset of the router should rhyme with: unplug the router, hold down the reset button for 30 secs, keep holding the button and plug it back in, continue holding the button for 30 secs, release the button. The router will boot up. That method should really clear everything out and may also clear the firmware back to factory. If it worked out of the box and works again that might point to a firmware update hosing things. If it doesn't work after that I'm out of ideas. Plenty of routers out there! Start looking for a deal.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline mikeWe9a

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2020, 04:53:19 PM »
I get the impression that your desktop was connected to the router via ethernet cable, rather than wireless.  Could you access the modem from your wired desktop through the router (via the modem's local IP address, likely 10.0.0.1 or 127.0.0.1)?  Alternatively, once you are directly wired to your modem, you can access it directly and then see if it recognizes your router as a connected device.  If there is no communication between the two, then you might check the cable connecting the router and modem as well (presuming it wasn't one of the two cables you previously said you checked).  If the two can't communicate and you've confirmed the cable good (also, try changing the ports plugged into on both the router and the modem, on the off chance one of them decided to retire early), then you can probably consider the router to be kaput.  If you can talk to it, check various configuration settings for the wifi, and also that you don't have both the router and the modem set up as routers - one of them should have DHCP disabled so they don't fight each other, though it is unlikely that this would just pop up randomly long after being set up.

Mike