Author Topic: Help! Rift S - Seeing Double Gun Sights in VR  (Read 934 times)

Offline mjsmith718

• Zinc Member
Help! Rift S - Seeing Double Gun Sights in VR
« on: December 07, 2020, 12:25:59 PM »
Hey guys,

Im using the Oculus Rift S, just got it yesterday.  When playing in VR, I am having this issue:  When I focus on the gun sight, i see two "HUD Projection Screens" (the glass the gun sight is projected onto).  When i focus on the HUD Projection Screen, i see two gun sights.

I've toggled with every setting I can find.  I am curious if anyone is having this same issue or if anyone knows of a solution?

Thanks,
Matt
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 12:34:52 PM by mjsmith718 »

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
Re: Help! Rift S - Seeing Double Gun Sights in VR
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2020, 01:52:56 PM »
Had similar issue with my Rift.  Was advised to look past sight at the target, that helped resolve the issue for me.  Good luck and I hope you enjoy flying in VR!   

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2020, 02:21:38 PM »
Is there a PID adjust on those?

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2020, 02:38:11 PM »
The two reticle gunsight issue is a normal condition in VR since it has to be drawn for each eye in the same focal plane as the target. When you focus on the gunsight you see two reticles because the gunsight is a closer focal plane, when you look through the sight and focus on the target you should only see one reticle.

Offline mjsmith718

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2020, 03:23:15 PM »
Is there a PID adjust on those?

Eagler

Hey Eagler, there is a PID adjust.  I tried it at every setting, didnt help fix it.  Is this not an issue you have?

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2020, 03:38:12 PM »
It's IPD, and you're not supposed to focus on the HUD, focus on the target. Also move your head back a bit.

Offline mjsmith718

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2020, 03:48:20 PM »
It's IPD, and you're not supposed to focus on the HUD, focus on the target. Also move your head back a bit.

Hey Vulcan, ive got my IPD set, but i still have the issue and ive tried all these things.  Do you not experience the issue in your VR?

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2020, 04:01:14 PM »
Hey Vulcan, ive got my IPD set, but i still have the issue and ive tried all these things.  Do you not experience the issue in your VR?

Everyone has this issue if you look AT the gunsite. Like FLS said there really are two in your view.

Focus on looking "through" the gunsite at the target your aiming at. Basically you have to teach your brain to merge the two sites into one. You'll get it.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2020, 04:07:48 PM »
Yeah if you've only had it a day just remember it's looking at the game world in a whole new way. Takes some time getting used to. If you had TIR before this remember it took a while getting used to that and tweaking your profile as you went along. Very similar experience in transition. Once you get the hang of it you'll never want to go back to a screen!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline mjsmith718

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2020, 04:07:48 PM »
Everyone has this issue if you look AT the gunsite. Like FLS said there really are two in your view.

Focus on looking "through" the gunsite at the target your aiming at. Basically you have to teach your brain to merge the two sites into one. You'll get it.

I am able to focus on the target or gunsite to get a single picture there, but that leaves me with seeing double HUD Projection Screens which isnt a huge deal but is just annoying.  Wondering if this is just how it works, or if anyone is able to see 1 of everything - the target, the gunsight and the HUD screen.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2020, 04:37:12 PM »
Also remember VR will highlight real world vision problems.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2020, 08:44:46 PM »
I am able to focus on the target or gunsite to get a single picture there, but that leaves me with seeing double HUD Projection Screens which isnt a huge deal but is just annoying.  Wondering if this is just how it works, or if anyone is able to see 1 of everything - the target, the gunsight and the HUD screen.

Give it a little time. Once your brain figures it out that is what you WILL see,  - the target, the gunsight and the HUD screen

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2020, 06:29:20 AM »
With practice you will not need the sight

Keep tracers on while you get used to the view

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline AlbertSk

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2020, 10:06:57 AM »
I had a similar experience and in my case I was in the wrong position. I was in observer seat and not gunner seat. That fixed it for me.