Author Topic: Online gaming on StarLink demonstration  (Read 898 times)

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
Online gaming on StarLink demonstration
« on: November 18, 2020, 07:34:58 PM »
Ping rate varied from low 40’s to mid 60’s in the online video games.
Of course this is beta. How it will perform when StarLink goes live will depend on the load
and the number of satellites in service. The number of satellites is increasing in increments.

:salute
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline Rondar

• Nickel Member
Re: Online gaming on StarLink demonstration
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2020, 07:42:27 PM »
The corncob folks will be along shortly...
To understand true love, lock your dog and your wife in the trunk of your car for an hour and then see which one is glad to see you when you come back

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2020, 01:43:44 AM »
"Corncob Folk"? Irritated/Butthurt or Misspelling of "Corn Hole" players?  :uhoh  In my defense, Corn Cob use is WAY SOFTER than the TP, I FINALLY FOUND!!!! Butt Hurt? NOPE..and they are more proficient in this utility!  :rofl Corn Hole players??? NOPE I am a Curling Fan! I call it Domestic Spousal Training! Where else could a Man, get away with yelling, "SWEEP...SWEEP...STOP" towards any "Non-Curling Trained" female? Well without the "MOP/Broom" handle CAUSING the "Butt Hurt"? :devil :devil :rofl 
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2020, 04:15:21 AM »

Many of the folks who may use starlink deal with corn cobs almost yearly.  So funny you would say that.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2020, 06:34:54 PM »
Had  a serious test  of Starlink customer support this week.  Tuesday my roof was finally clear of snow so I mounted the dish on my roof.  Service seemed markedly improved, at least in terms of no discoes for a couple AH sorties then a movie in the evening.  Wednesday I routed the cable through my foundation, crawlspace, then up through a sill plate and out an outlet.  No more service.  So I emailed customer support.  You can only access them through your account portal.  Thursday AM I had an email asking some questions, and providing some very generic suggestions.  I responded with a couple messages requesting info on what they could see about the issue on their end and asking about how they would help me sort out the issue, etc.   I waited until Friday PM, no useful response or help.  So I then initiated a second ticket Friday evening asking specific questions about what I could expect from their support and referencing my first ticket for detail.   Whamo! Action finally!   Apparently that message fell into the correct hands.  I woke up early this morn (Saturday)  to a couple of new support emails from a Starlink employee that had been helpful on a prior, minor issue.  He had specific recommendations, told me he wanted to call me at 1000 and told me that on his end it showed that I had a "cabling" issue.  So with his tips I took a harder look at my connections (all 3 of them), and, with the help of reading glasses and bright light found a distorted plastic separator on the connector end that I thought I had carefully routed through our house.  I sent off a pic of that, and was going to try and repair it, but was then told that a whole new Starlink set was heading my way, along with an RMA and prepaid shipping label, no charge to me!  He also recommended that I not try to attempt repair on the connector, because they'd want to look at it for feedback and consider on how to improve their kits to try to help homeowners avoid similar install issues in the future.  Truly Beta.

So after my rapid opinion decline of the past couple days, I am again impressed that Starlink (at least in general) seems to be very much a quality outfit.

Offline Rondar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2020, 07:44:17 PM »
Many of the folks who may use starlink deal with corn cobs almost yearly.  So funny you would say that.

We have neighbors who grow corncobs for you city folks who have not progressed to Charmin.  Starlink would be a good fit for me if it works as planned. 
To understand true love, lock your dog and your wife in the trunk of your car for an hour and then see which one is glad to see you when you come back

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2020, 12:36:53 AM »
We have neighbors who grow corncobs for you city folks who have not progressed to Charmin.  Starlink would be a good fit for me if it works as planned.

I am not a city folk.... not even close. We are surrounded by cows and horses.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2020, 07:36:11 AM »
Heard this morning there are over 900 satellites up there now for this service

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2020, 06:20:08 PM »
.....We are surrounded by cows and horses.....

Hey Shuff...does this menn you're living in a barnyard?  Is there a funny smell coming from that P-38?     :devil
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 09:12:31 PM by DaddyAce »

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2020, 06:52:43 PM »
Hey Shuff...does this maen you're living in a barnyard?  Is there a funny smell coming from that P-38?     :devil

all the chickens flew away.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2020, 09:23:55 PM »
Hey Shuff...does this menn you're living in a barnyard?  Is there a funny smell coming from that P-38?     :devil

ROTFLMAO
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2020, 10:32:40 PM »

Wait, I thought that smell was from all the "liberated" sheep...  :noid
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2020, 07:06:55 PM »
 :rofl The SHEEP, "liberated" alright!  :rofl The "relief" was everywhere  :devil
 Corn cobs are GREAT! If, you know what you are doing, you have BOTH kinds. The "Red" for initial ,eh.. cleansing and the "White" for inspection :rofl  Guess you could forgo the "White", but you might get eh..MARKS against your character and hygiene ... :devil
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 07:10:28 PM by 1stpar3 »
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Scared

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2020, 08:56:24 PM »
what is more important than a bunch of us gaming nerds is the rural kids who will have better access to the net.