Author Topic: I guess basic troubleshooting skills are gone  (Read 1443 times)

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
I guess basic troubleshooting skills are gone
« on: November 20, 2020, 06:54:17 PM »
I received a computer tower that was tossed out because it would no longer power on. I am assuming they thought it was totally fried and beyond repair. When opening it to look, I found a broken wire to the power switch on the case.

And with me magic soldering iron, it now works again.

Asus Sabertooth X79 with 32GB of ram with an Intel I7-3820  :)   Totally blows my PC out of the water on benchmark tests. Now comes the painful part of  "do I really want to move every single thing over to it"?

Are some people that are hardcore computer gamers totally inept on basic troubleshooting of their hardware?

See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: I guess basic troubleshooting skills are gone
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2020, 07:35:18 PM »
Are some people that are hardcore computer gamers totally inept on basic troubleshooting of their hardware?

Yes, of course. Being a 'hardcore gamer' doesn't require any basic knowledge of how those things work under the hood. It's just a piece of equipment many people just buy to do something specific with it.  The games are their hobby, not the computer. It's just like with any consumer technology that hit the mainstream market long time ago.
Hey, back when I still had a car I wasn't able to fix anything beyond changing a tire (I guess, never actually done that  :D) or filling up the oil.  :old:
Steam: DrKalv
Elite:Dangerous: Snailman

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2020, 09:33:31 PM »
just got a 1tb ssd, guess what, been messing with it for 2 hours, checked connections, everything good, checked make sure it's on sata3, it's good, but samsung magician doesnt recognize it as a samsung ssd, it does say samsung 1tb ssd on samsung magician.  it only works at 1/2 the speed it's supposed to work.

2 hours wasted, the problem isnt troubleshooting, it's frustration.  right now I am thinking of spending 2k on a computer to replace the one I have that works perfectly, except for the new ssd.

semp

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2020, 01:09:47 AM »
What Lusche said.

Having followed the Hardware and Software forum I can tell that there's many AH'ers in that category as well. Even understanding (or knowing about) the requirements can be beyond their skill level. I know personally a few who've been playing flight sim games since day 1 without any deeper knowledge about how computers work.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2020, 02:23:02 AM »
What Lusche said.

Having followed the Hardware and Software forum I can tell that there's many AH'ers in that category as well. Even understanding (or knowing about) the requirements can be beyond their skill level. I know personally a few who've been playing flight sim games since day 1 without any deeper knowledge about how computers work.
DON"T JUDGE ME!!!! PCs are HARD! Well their "drives" are!??? Beats "Floppy", and thats all I needed to know!🤣 So I THUNK :rofl
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 02:24:55 AM by 1stpar3 »
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2020, 04:05:48 AM »
I received a computer tower that was tossed out because it would no longer power on. I am assuming they thought it was totally fried and beyond repair. When opening it to look, I found a broken wire to the power switch on the case.

And with me magic soldering iron, it now works again.

Asus Sabertooth X79 with 32GB of ram with an Intel I7-3820  :)   Totally blows my PC out of the water on benchmark tests. Now comes the painful part of  "do I really want to move every single thing over to it"?

Many so called gamers are clueless about computers. When they want one, they read reviews and ask if it runs certain games. That is enough for them.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 04:10:41 AM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2020, 07:26:04 AM »
Best ones are service calls for gamers for various things, and a $30 router with the 2 pair twisted wire ethernet cable isnt going to get your speeds.  But it is always "your service" that is at fault, and they are a hardcore gamer and know what they are talking about  :rolleyes:

BTW - Cloning a drive to another PC is a PITA.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 07:27:40 AM by Meatwad »
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2020, 08:21:54 AM »
First computer was a 286 reject from a business school in DC when they upgraded in 92/93.

I have upgraded every cpu since to the I9 machine I use today.

Some ppl have more money than brains and even less patience these days.

Everything else is throw away if it breaks, why not the computer?

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2020, 08:23:18 AM »
What would Oddball say? Hey I don't work on em, I just ride em, man! Woofwoofwoof!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2020, 09:53:47 AM »

BTW - Cloning a drive to another PC is a PITA.

On my newest build I cloned my old main HDD to a Samsung SSD using Samsung's software. Worked very well. Of course in the new machine when it booted, it started with basic drivers the first time. I then activated Windows 10 Pro with the new hardware as I was also going to keep the old machine for other uses. I simply used another old Win 7 Pro key I had to do that. I then went to Gigabyte's site and acquired the latest drivers for my Z490 AORUS Ultra MB.

LOL still no 3080 GPU but I did get my hands on a new 2080S yesterday. Will replace the 2070S in my main machine today. The 2070S will go back in my old machine that it once called home.

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2020, 10:03:32 AM »
On my older PC when I went to Win10, or rather had to because of VR, I didn't want to lose anything that was already on it running fine in Win7. I got a 1tb ssd and partitioned it. Cloned the Win7 install with Acronis and put it on one partition and installed Win10 on the other. Now that machine is dual boot. It's really no biggie. Fairly painless.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2020, 02:30:25 PM »
just got a 1tb ssd, guess what, been messing with it for 2 hours, checked connections, everything good, checked make sure it's on sata3, it's good, but samsung magician doesnt recognize it as a samsung ssd, it does say samsung 1tb ssd on samsung magician.  it only works at 1/2 the speed it's supposed to work.

2 hours wasted, the problem isnt troubleshooting, it's frustration.  right now I am thinking of spending 2k on a computer to replace the one I have that works perfectly, except for the new ssd.

semp

semp

Update the driver
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2020, 03:20:09 PM »
Update the driver

did that. been checking around it looks like Samsung magician has a tendency to ignore some drives specially newer ones.

I think the problem is the cable itself, think it's a sata 2. problem is finding asata 3. going hunting right now,, see if there's a computer repair shop open.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2020, 03:15:48 AM »
There's no difference between SATA1, SATA 2 and SATA3 cables other than the locking clip. The data transfer rates are identical.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2020, 06:48:07 AM »
On my older PC when I went to Win10, or rather had to because of VR, I didn't want to lose anything that was already on it running fine in Win7. I got a 1tb ssd and partitioned it. Cloned the Win7 install with Acronis and put it on one partition and installed Win10 on the other. Now that machine is dual boot. It's really no biggie. Fairly painless.

I tried  various cloning methods to move everything from the old pc to the new pc so I wouldnt have to redo every single program on it and so far the only one I didnt get a BSOD the moment it came up was AOMEI backupper pro. One of the cloning options let it reinstall the new MB drivers the moment windows came up which is a major time saver for me. I ordered a brand new drive so I can move it to that instead of using a laptop 5400 rpm hard drive in a desktop