Author Topic: Throttle just died....recommendations?  (Read 3040 times)

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
Throttle just died....recommendations?
« on: November 30, 2020, 09:04:52 PM »
After years of great service my trusty old CH Pro Throttle USB just apparently went belly-up.  No lights, Windows does not see it, tried the usual reboots, different USB port, no more signs of life.

So now I'm looking for something to replace it.  Would love to replace it with another like it, but as many have noted on these boards CH seems to no longer produce a good product.   Took a quick look at Virpil & VKB, looks lke great stuff but expensive and overly complex for my needs as Aces High is the only game I play, and I have a great stick already.  SO I'm hoping for a decent throttle similar to my old CH pro, and suggestions?  Thanks in advance for your thoughts!   :salute

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
Re: Throttle just died....recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2020, 09:16:42 PM »
Open it up and check the connections. Seriously. It's not like you have to worry about the warranty at this point! Maybe a connector on the PCB just came loose. Or a wire off the pot. Could be something that silly. They usually don't fail like that. I haven't looked into a throttle. I'm still using my pro throttle too, hoping it holds out til VKB finally comes out with theirs. They only announced it 3 years ago! So... In two weeks prolly?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2020, 09:28:56 PM »
Thank you Drano.  Well certainly worth a try...looks like it's not made to come apart, looks solidly glued together, but you're right Drano, nothing to lose at this point.  I was also just browsing for replacement options and so far the only other throttle I've found that seems reasonable at first glance (non-Virpi or VKB) is the Thrustmaster TWCS. 

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2020, 09:30:58 PM »
Nah, it has I think at least four Phillips (#1) screws that hold the base on. They're under the rubber feet in the corners. Just pry them off.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2020, 09:33:05 PM »
Nah, it has I think at least four Phillips (#1) screws that hold the base on. They're under the rubber feet in the corners. Just pry them off.

Cool, was wondering about that, thank you again Drano!

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2020, 01:12:12 AM »
It can be something as simple as the USB cord. There's four colour coded wires inside, you can easily get a replacement by getting a USB extension or A/B (printer etc) cord and cut the other end off.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2020, 05:42:34 AM »
Since my X52 setup broke a few years ago I have used a warthog jstick with the thrustmaster throttle

http://mobile.thrustmaster.com/node/7257

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2020, 11:29:07 AM »
There are 5 screws on mine. 4 are visible, not under the feet in my case, and the 5th is under the warranty sticker. Just poke around in the middle of the sticker until you feel the depression of the screw hole.

oops, thought we were talking about the Joystick. nm
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 11:32:37 AM by Easyscor »
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2020, 03:28:44 PM »
Thanks for the tips Drano, Bizman & Easy; will have to take it apart and see what I can find.

Eagler, last night when I would otherwise have had a bit of AH time, I was online reviewing throttle options, and it looked like that throttle was the best option....bad news is it looks like everyone is currently out of stock on that rascal...

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2020, 03:38:05 PM »
I ordered an X52 Pro throttle from eBay some months ago - works fine.  $45 if I remember right.  That might be an option for you, if you don't mind buying used off eBay. 

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2020, 07:15:03 PM »
Okay, opened it up, easy to pry off the rubber feet, 4 screws in the case of my throttle.  There was a broken wire.  Dug out  my  solderless connector kit, and a couple of small cable ties to keep things neat in there, and am now back in business with my trusty ol CH Throttle.  Thanks again all for the help!   :salute      :airplane:

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2020, 07:27:43 PM »
Sweet!

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2020, 09:30:29 PM »
Okay, opened it up, easy to pry off the rubber feet, 4 screws in the case of my throttle.  There was a broken wire.  Dug out  my  solderless connector kit, and a couple of small cable ties to keep things neat in there, and am now back in business with my trusty ol CH Throttle.  Thanks again all for the help!   :salute      :airplane:

While I had mine open the last time I added a piece of velco to the slide base and now my throttle handle has some tension as I slide it back and forth  :)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2020, 10:02:30 PM »
While I had mine open the last time I added a piece of velco to the slide base and now my throttle handle has some tension as I slide it back and forth  :)

Great idea as it is too lose from the factory. Moves way too easily.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Pluto

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2020, 11:53:08 PM »
If it fails you again DA Ive got a warthog or x52 for you for whatever it costs to ship over the hills.