Author Topic: Ye gods, graphics-card prices have gone into orbit  (Read 1139 times)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
Ye gods, graphics-card prices have gone into orbit
« on: December 07, 2020, 06:02:42 PM »
I finally got a new computer.  I did it for number crunching work, but it's a fine setup for Aces High, too.

I figured I'd get a new graphics card as well.

But, ye gods, the prices seem to be a total rip off, and most stuff is out of stock.  Even my old card (nVidia GTX 1060) is more expensive now than when I bought it a couple of years ago.

Screw it.  I'll stick with my old graphics card.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
Re: Ye gods, graphics-card prices have gone into orbit
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2020, 06:37:19 PM »
I put a new one together in March when I was shut in. 3900x system. Everything new except for the graphics card. I recycled the 6gb 2060 from my old system. Reason was I knew the new ones from both team green and team red would be coming out in the fall and that would make it that much easier to get that part past the wife ack. Haha! The joke was on me! Didn't matter if I wanted one or not. Had the money or not! They evaporated as soon as they hit the internet! Both flavors! I figured I'd wait for a black Friday deal. Lol! STILL unobtainable. Now they're saying it may be months before there's even a supply of them to be bought.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2020, 06:43:29 PM »
I like to pick up a used card every few years once the latest and greatest drops.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Online Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2020, 10:05:04 PM »
The machine I recently built had the RTX 2070 in it from my old machine. I changed it out and now have a RTX 2080 Super. The 30 series are impossible to get.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2020, 06:40:03 AM »
Bit coin mining to blame I believe

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2020, 07:37:18 AM »
I finally got a new computer.  I did it for number crunching work, but it's a fine setup for Aces High, too.

I figured I'd get a new graphics card as well.

But, ye gods, the prices seem to be a total rip off, and most stuff is out of stock.  Even my old card (nVidia GTX 1060) is more expensive now than when I bought it a couple of years ago.

Screw it.  I'll stick with my old graphics card.

what resolution are you playing? are you using VR?

If it is 1080p even my old gtx 960 and my current rx 560 gives 60 FPS (unless you put some sliders like mip mapping and trees to extra)

looks like you can buy rx 5500xt on ~ MSRP without an issues and it IMHO should serve you well.

And yes for AH 1060 is more than enough.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 07:39:23 AM by artik »
Artik, 101 "Red" Squadron, Israel

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2020, 07:56:00 AM »
Hehe this doesn't help!

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/MSI-nvidia-rtx-3090-stolen-china

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2020, 10:46:55 AM »
Yeah.  It's nuts.  My machine is balanced to run AH pretty well with enough stuff turned up to make me happy at 1080p/60Hz.  But it's hitting the wall on other games, and I'd really like to try gaming at 144Hz or in VR but the prices are just outrageous.

I'm hoping in a year or two the prices will have come down enough on the current stuff that would be good enough for me to do what I want I can get into it but we'll just have to see.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Denniss

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2020, 01:56:12 PM »
Samsung can't deliver enough of the big chips for 3080/90 series due to rumored process issues (yield). 3070/60 situation should get better in a shorter time due to rather small chips less prone to defects.
AMD/TSMC are currently hammered with Console chip production, the can't even get enough of their smallish CPU dies produced and those Ryzen 5k are immediately sold-out once hitting the market.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2020, 03:28:56 AM »
what resolution are you playing? are you using VR?

for AH 1060 is more than enough.

Yep, I'm with you on that.  I don't need anything fancy.  Even my old computer with the GTX 1060 was fine for me.  I use 1080p, 60 Hz, no VR, and actually prefer to have reflections turned off.

As it turns out, the new system (Ryzen 9 3950x and DDR4-3200 RAM) with the GTX 1060 will now run AH with all settings maxxed out and still give me 60 fps at 1080p.

It's just that, with everything else new, I figured I'd get a new graphics card, too.  I'd keep the GTX 1060 for the old computer and give it to my kids.

But I'm not getting an upgraded graphics card at today's prices.  Partially of out of principle.

When a GTX 1060 costs 50% more today than when I bought mine several years ago (instead of costing 50% less) -- I'm not a buyer in such a frothy market.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2020, 07:18:55 AM »
Though I have the cpu I9 and gpu 2070 I turn off reflections and shadows

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2020, 07:28:27 AM »
Yep, I'm with you on that.  I don't need anything fancy.  Even my old computer with the GTX 1060 was fine for me.  I use 1080p, 60 Hz, no VR, and actually prefer to have reflections turned off.

As it turns out, the new system (Ryzen 9 3950x and DDR4-3200 RAM) with the GTX 1060 will now run AH with all settings maxxed out and still give me 60 fps at 1080p.

It's just that, with everything else new, I figured I'd get a new graphics card, too.  I'd keep the GTX 1060 for the old computer and give it to my kids.

But I'm not getting an upgraded graphics card at today's prices.  Partially of out of principle.

When a GTX 1060 costs 50% more today than when I bought mine several years ago (instead of costing 50% less) -- I'm not a buyer in such a frothy market.
My sitch exactly! It would have been nice to continue with the plan of my build and have all 2020 components in the rig. Might still happen, just not this year. Certainly not until if/when these currently hyper-inflated prices subside. It's just nuts!

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"