Author Topic: God bless Texas  (Read 30373 times)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: God bless Texas
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2020, 09:48:20 PM »
Yes, the US Constitution supercedes any state trying to leave the Union.

Yes, Scalia wrote: “The answer is clear,” Scalia wrote. “If there was any constitutional issue resolved by the Civil War, it is that there is no right to secede. (Hence, in the Pledge of Allegiance, 'one Nation, indivisible.')”

That wasn’t what I said. I was talking about the Texas Constitution...

I was never suggesting they would. Just that they believe their Constitution says they could break up into multiple states or leave...true or not.

checked this out and found out that the us constitution says nothing about leaving the union.

it was a court case that decided that.  lots of interesting reading in that subject.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2020, 06:32:02 AM »
Texas was it's own country for some time.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2020, 07:51:28 AM »
Texas was it's own country for some time.

Really?
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2020, 12:21:04 PM »
Really?

Yes

‘It became its own country, called the Republic of Texas, from 1836 until it agreed to join the United States in 1845. Sixteen years later, it seceded along with 10 other states to form the Confederacy. The Civil War forced it back into the Union, where it has stayed ever since’

https://www.history.com/news/9-things-you-may-not-know-about-texas

They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2020, 12:23:01 PM »
Yes

‘It became its own country, called the Republic of Texas, from 1836 until it agreed to join the United States in 1845. Sixteen years later, it seceded along with 10 other states to form the Confederacy. The Civil War forced it back into the Union, where it has stayed ever since’

https://www.history.com/news/9-things-you-may-not-know-about-texas

He was being facetious. ;)

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2020, 12:23:23 PM »
Also in that link is what I was referring to:

Texas could split into five states.
Contrary to popular belief, Texas has no more right to secede than any other state. But its 1845 annexation agreement does permit its division into as many as five states without federal approval. “The joke is that if there were five states, then who would get the Alamo?” Brinkman said. “Or would it be a pie ridge radiating out from that site?” No serious attempt at splitting up Texas has been made since Reconstruction, and the idea has never been tested in the courts. Nonetheless, the state’s hypothetical partition still gets kicked around occasionally. In 1969, for example, a state senator proposed a 51st state within Texas that would be open to parimutuel betting, while in 1991 a state representative introduced a bill to turn the panhandle into a state called “Old Texas.”
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2020, 01:30:52 PM »
old Texas?  that reminds me,  we have a state called new California and i believe new Arizona.  both joined the texas lawsuit.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2020, 08:32:54 PM »
As far as I can see, Texas just keeps losing and embarrassing itself, then losing again. I suppose Texas saved face by having its football game cancelled today. Then again, Texas should have had to forfeit instead of being able to cancel, they were the ones that had uncontrolled spread of covid, not Kansas.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2020, 09:38:07 AM »
About the right to secede question.  https://www.tiltingthescales.com/2012/12/19/909/
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2020, 10:12:47 AM »
The Constitution, as people who have studied the Constitutional Convention know, is not a list of the rights YOU HAVE, it's a restriction on what the government can do TO YOU.

Both Jefferson and Adams, two key Founding Fathers, recognized the right of a state to withdraw from the Union.

https://mises.org/library/jeffersonian-secessionist-tradition

...In a January 29, 1804 letter to Dr. Joseph Priestley, who had asked Jefferson his opinion of the New England secession movement that was gaining momentum, he wrote: “Whether we remain in one confederacy, or form into Atlantic and Mississippi confederacies, I believe not very important to the happiness of either part. Those of the western confederacy will be as much our children & descendants as those of the eastern . . . and did I now foresee a separation at some future day, yet should feel the duty & the desire to promote the western interests as zealously as the eastern, doing all the good for both portions of our future family...” Jefferson offered the same opinion to John C. Breckinridge on August 12, 1803 when New Englanders were threatening secession after the Louisiana purchase. If there were a “separation,” he wrote, “God bless them both & keep them in the union if it be for their good, but separate them, if it be better.”

Everyone understood that the union of the states was voluntary and that, as Virginia, Rhode Island, and New York stated in their constitutional ratification documents, each state had a right to withdraw from the union at some future date if that union became harmful to its interests...

...John Quincy Adams, the quintessential New England Yankee, echoed these Jeffersonian sentiments in an 1839 speech in which he said that if different states or groups of states came into irrepressible conflict, then that “will be the time for reverting to the precedents which occurred at the formation and adoption of the Constitution, to form again a more perfect union by dissolving that which could no longer bind, and to leave the separated parts to be reunited by the law of political gravitation...” (John Quincy Adams,>The Jubilee of the Constitution, 1939, pp. 66-69)...

In my opinion, it's time to separate into the law abiding states and the unlawful states.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 11:17:06 AM by Toad »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2020, 10:21:54 AM »
A long read here : https://americanmind.org/features/a-house-dividing/the-separation/

I believe he has it about right. Cutting to the chase:

For “Red” America: No one “wins” this civil war. But if anyone loses, it’s you. Your base is older, less educated, poorer, and barely growing. You accuse the Left of living in a dream world, but you are waiting for Ronald Reagan to come back. The voters who will determine America’s future have never heard of Reagan and do not care to learn...

...For “Blue” America: You have the momentum; you are winning the strategic battle. You have marched through the institutions and are closing on Ideological Hegemony. Your enemies are in general retreat. But advances have roused your opponent, and the easy victories are in the past. They now feel Silicon Valley constricting their political oxygen. For some time their leaders seemed uninspired, complacent, sheepishly mumbling lines about tax cuts. But Donald Trump is evidence this has changed. They will fight like people who understand they have everything to lose...

...The Separation is not a departure as much as return to the Constitution of the founders. The Articles of Confederation foundered on the three key functions required of the federal power: an effective army, a unified foreign policy, and a treasury that can incur liabilities for national functions. The federal government would retain its authority and taxing power for these functions.

Activities outside these spheres and the refereeing of interstate issues would be seated with the states. Broader latitude is provided to the states to effect and fund policies for their citizens. Blue states would no longer “subsidize” Red states. Greater funding for everything from climate change to social programs will be possible. The dust would be blown off the 9th and 10th Amendments.

The return of self-government to a more local sphere has two benefits: laws that better fit the people they bind, and the invigoration of citizens provided greater powers of self-determination. Nothing creates frustration like the powerlessness of distance from the opaque bureaucracies and legal chambers that direct American’s lives.

I think this guy is pretty close to the mark.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2020, 11:08:30 AM »
Never happen but interesting

Instead this place might be quite the sheet show making portland and other liberal sewer holes the norm

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2020, 02:29:50 PM »
Never happen but interesting

Instead this place might be quite the sheet show making portland and other liberal sewer holes the norm

Eagler

Those "liberal sewer holes" you reference, hold up the country. That does not make them any more, or less, important than flyover country, because we are all Americans.  There is only one side that doesn't wish that to be the case.

This conservative ideology of "I want it my way, every day" is getting tiring.  You will form your own circular firing squad, after you have no liberals to blame for your misfortunes, when you realize that yes, California and New York really are a good proportion of the GDP of the United States, and suddenly you are living in a third world country again.  Your hate of your own fellow citizens will only serve to be your own undoing.  So, go back to 1952.... or 1592 if you wish.  The rest of us will move on without lament.  We're far too tired of supporting you.
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2020, 02:45:44 PM »
Those "liberal sewer holes" you reference, hold up the country. That does not make them any more, or less, important than flyover country, because we are all Americans.  There is only one side that doesn't wish that to be the case.

This conservative ideology of "I want it my way, every day" is getting tiring.  You will form your own circular firing squad, after you have no liberals to blame for your misfortunes, when you realize that yes, California and New York really are a good proportion of the GDP of the United States, and suddenly you are living in a third world country again.  Your hate of your own fellow citizens will only serve to be your own undoing.  So, go back to 1952.... or 1592 if you wish.  The rest of us will move on without lament.  We're far too tired of supporting you.

This is the difference between our followers and yours.

The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2020, 02:51:51 PM »

This is the difference between our followers and yours.

Oh yes, your followers are so refined.  The nooses outside the Whitehouse for 8 years while the first black president served his terms were all liberals.  You really need to find a better script.
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce