Author Topic: God bless Texas  (Read 30288 times)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
Re: God bless Texas
« Reply #405 on: December 24, 2020, 01:07:57 PM »
Damn.

Karl doesn't seem too impressed by the Kraken.  :rofl :rofl :rofl

« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 01:22:09 PM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #406 on: December 24, 2020, 01:50:16 PM »
Apparently they will take a sniffer of hair over a grabber of pv$$y.

By 7 million more votes.

<Snicker>

So you think kiddie fiddling is the same?
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #407 on: December 24, 2020, 01:58:34 PM »
So you think kiddie fiddling is the same?

Hell, Zack.  I'd even vote for you over the Orange Baboon.  So obviously it wouldn't matter to me.  Trumps political destruction is the only thing I care about.

You'd have to go ask the other 7 million what they think.
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #408 on: February 15, 2021, 01:24:48 PM »
California has rolling brown outs because of forest fires, Texas has rolling brown outs when it gets a little cold outside.  Pretty embarrassing.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #409 on: February 15, 2021, 03:00:45 PM »
I belong to a cooking group on Facebook.  lots of people asking about recipes that need no electricity. guess lots of people don't have gas stoves. 

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #410 on: February 15, 2021, 08:24:08 PM »
California has rolling brown outs because of forest fires, Texas has rolling brown outs when it gets a little cold outside.  Pretty embarrassing.

If a guy bottled that hate he could call it "ignorance sauce".

:salute

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #411 on: February 16, 2021, 03:58:26 AM »
Over 24 hours so far with no power here and sub freezing temps. Throwing logs in the fireplace.

Generac will be getting my business very soon.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #412 on: February 16, 2021, 05:57:53 AM »
Over 24 hours so far with no power here and sub freezing temps. Throwing logs in the fireplace.

Generac will be getting my business very soon.

Them old boys rest easy with their permanent generators.  I have a box of electric cords and a "plan" I "think" will work. Thankfully I have only had to keep my gas powered generator in the garage.

Good luck down there. I imagine all kinds of "oh no". Frozen pipes, flooded basements, roads undriveable.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #413 on: February 16, 2021, 08:43:26 AM »
Stay safe as it seems you still have days of it to go

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #414 on: February 16, 2021, 08:48:11 AM »
Meanwhile, in New York...

i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #415 on: February 16, 2021, 10:14:23 AM »
Local news paper indicated that about 1/3 of the wind generator fields in TX are out of operation due to freezing. Of course this is an unusual cold weather situation in TX but at the some time that is when they are needed the most. Rumor has it the nuke, coal and natural gas electric plants are unaffected by the bad weather.

While our house has not been hit the paper also noted that rolling blackouts are scheduled for the area. The locations indicated are a couple real small towns to the west and the main metro area of our town will be hit. We live in the county to the east of town. A big high dollar subdivision just a mile away was hit by a lengthy power outage yesterday. Since there is no natural gas option available everyone is on electric only or maybe propane if they installed a tank on property. Our fall back is our RV with full propane tanks and a small honda gen set should power be out for a protracted time. The fireplace in the house is OK but pretty small and we do not have a stock pile of wood that would last a full day and night.

Only about 3 gas stations of the 2 dozen or so in the area have gas remaining. All but one grocery store is closed along with the drug stores and mini marts. The one grocery store is only open for 6 hours. The home depot, leows and home town hardware stores are all out of propane, gen sets, firewood and other supplies. Half the town streets are closed due to heavy ice and the mostly hilly terrain here. It IS the Hill Country after all.

I watched the weather and we stocked up on food and fuel for the vehicles. I filled up my Goldwing last week when it was still 74 degrees in the day time so I would have over 6 gallons of gas for the gen set if needed. It will go for over 10 hours on a gallon and we did just fine while "dry camping" for a period of time in Tucson during the winter since they had rotating full hookup slots before they expanded the RV camp on DM AFB next to the bone yard.

All in all we aren't terribly worried, just keeping the phones and tablets charges so we can read if power goes out.

DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #416 on: February 16, 2021, 10:45:22 AM »
Its global warming.

The GFC

Offline mikeWe9a

• Copper Member
« Reply #417 on: February 16, 2021, 12:09:40 PM »
Local news paper indicated that about 1/3 of the wind generator fields in TX are out of operation due to freezing. Of course this is an unusual cold weather situation in TX but at the some time that is when they are needed the most. Rumor has it the nuke, coal and natural gas electric plants are unaffected by the bad weather.

While I love to bash on many of the green energy initiatives, a significant number of "conventional" power plants also had issues and shut down due to the cold weather.  Apparently, "winterizing" power generation equipment costs money and isn't needed often enough to ensure that power companies in Texas do it.  This same scenario happened in 1989 (when there were no windmills) and again in 2011.  Texas generally has enough non-green generation capability to supply power even if none of the windmills were operating, though the cold weather also increased demand to well above normal.  In this instance, pretty much all forms of power generation are suffering from lower than normal generating capability - coal, gas, and even nuclear.  The amount of power generation that is offline is greater than the maximum peak capacity of all wind generated power (which is generally not available in the winter, due to seasonal winds).

https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/02/texas-power-grid-crumples-under-the-cold/

Various issues are apparently to blame.  Examples reportedly include:

Water cooling systems, especially radiators, froze in the extreme cold, preventing water flow and leading to a loss of cooling to the generating systems.
Diesel fuel for generators gelling in the cold, resulting in no fuel flow
Low temperatures causing problems with the supply of natural gas to generating stations (most likely causing issues with the pumps)

Mike

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #418 on: February 16, 2021, 12:23:26 PM »
They call this climate change..

Global warming is used to explain the hot summer days

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #419 on: February 16, 2021, 12:57:43 PM »
I have reported you for saying icebergs melting has no effect because of displacement  :old:

The GFC