Author Topic: Killing 88's  (Read 3002 times)

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
Re: Killing 88's
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2021, 10:00:42 AM »
Best deacker is the Yak 9T, after that the B-25H, both are great standoff shooters.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2021, 12:34:21 PM »
Anyone else find slow is better than fast deacking?

I get hit much more when I attempt to deack in a 109k4 than a slower moving 109g2 with gonds

Eagler

Not sure what you mean by slower. But I find that the porpoise maneuver or 'slowly flying in a sign wave' will make the auto ack miss a lot. The 30mm is fantastic for de-acking  as 1 round will kill a gun if it lands in the box. The 20mm with gondies might distributing the rounds around based on angle and convergence. If your speed is too high you can't porpoise effectively. speed in a straight line doesn't help against auto ack (that much)  steady turns don't either. You have to oscillate because the ack seems to calculate where you are going to be,  so you have to keep changing your vector. Up and down seems to work better than side to side.  :salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2021, 11:37:27 PM »
Any plane with cannon. 1 single hit in the pit on the hit and the splash damage will destroy it. If you fire an HE rocket you can be further away and still destroy the gun. Set your cannons to 400 yards convergence, one quick burst (as short as you can make it), and then move on to the next gun. The fighters with the center line 20mm is nice, you only have to worry about trajectory and not convergence.

Using MG rounds (.30 and .50 cal) you need to get a direct hit with multiple rounds to destroy the gun. It can be done but it is not as easy to do. I routinely de-ack towns in two passes using a cannon equipped fighter. I'll use rockets as well, but either way... use something with HE so that you do NOT have to get a direct hit.

Cheers.   
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2021, 10:37:42 AM »
SmokinLoon thanks for the detailed post sir.  :salute
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline Cluzig

• Copper Member
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2021, 11:21:19 AM »
Anyone else find slow is better than fast deacking?

I get hit much more when I attempt to deack in a 109k4 than a slower moving 109g2 with gonds

Eagler

I think high speed passes and missing the first gun can end up badly. Usually hitting the first 2 that fire at you results in slightly better chances I think. In buffs speed seems irrelevant

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2021, 05:47:02 AM »
I had a discussion online with a member and he shared his technique on taking out 88's from long range with a B-25H (with the 75mm gun).  I never tried it but gave it a whirl.  I set convergence all the way out then upped for a test.  To my amazement, that 75mm gun was able to pretty effectively deACK the field without being in effective range of the smaller ACK!  :rock

EDIT: Took multiple passes but worked great!

I don't consider myself an expert at all with the 75mm so looking forward to improving at this.

The only caveat of course is you are an easy target for cons.  So you will need air superiority or arrive at the target when no cons.

X15  :salute
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 05:54:50 AM by Slade »
-- Flying as X15 --