Author Topic: For the Air Warrior crowd  (Read 1379 times)

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
For the Air Warrior crowd
« on: January 02, 2021, 12:14:00 PM »
So while clearing out the house I ran across this box. I'm really big on packing things away in boxes where stuff in them is in perfect condition and then is petty much lost forever! Well I come across one that's marked AW3, KAWSM, SAC, Films. Flight sim ostalgia gold mine! That was a month or so ago.

So yesterday I took a swing at getting that stuff to run on my much newer PC. Win10/64 wasn't a good fit for stuff made in the late 90s. I did get AWMV to run in Win98 compatibility mode! But without 3D hardware acceleration. That's a bummer, man! (tm The Dude). 800x600 is about it and looks even crappier than I remember. It's made for DX5 I think! It's pretty basic as I can't update it over the net. No airfield with the little bubbles or the O-club, non of that. Transferred art files off another AW3 game CD so all the planes work. Set up a profile on my stick and throttle. All my controls work. Took a few hops. Killed Yamamoto in a P-38 mission. Admired the sheep--from a distance!

SAC would install but not otherwise run as it says it needed the 3dini file. No 3D, no 3D shapes so I guess that's why. No extra skins or skies or seascapes! KAWSM wouldn't install at all as it's 16-bit program and that's no go on a 64-bit system. 32-bit would get there but no provision for it on a 64-bit OS. Even if it did I'd think it'd need those same 3D files for the sounds so I'm stuck with the basic sounds. All my other files, films, etc., are on 20 year old floppies. The TBs of storage I have today was unheard of back then, that's all ya had. Can't read them on this OS. Can see the files on them but can't do anything with them. No opening, can't even copy them. I kept getting an error they may be corrupted or need to be formatted. I didn't think they could ALL be affected the same way although all of these date to around 2000. I'm sure some are just straight up bad even tho they were perfectly preserved in boxes inside another box in stable temperature conditions. Googled the problem and apparently MS changed how discs were formatted after about Win98. Subsequent OS put in something called a descriptor bit to the format process that earlier versions did not. So trying to read them on a Win10 system isn't gonna happen. That explains it! Will find a way around it. I actually still have the machine I used to use for AW. It was my first PC "build" and I was very proud of it, that old P4 system with a last of the Mohicans 1GB AGP video card! It's all in boxes, perfectly preserved! Prolly could use a new button battery I'd think! I could format some floppies with my new machine and then make copies with the old machine using them and that would theoretically work as long as the old ones aren't just bad. Twenty years is scraping the end of life expectancy for them I'd think. Would love to watch those old CAM files. Kept a lot of old scenario stuff. Cartwheel, Korea51, etc.

Was fun taking a few hops around the old Fightertown anyway! Hard going back to fixed hat switch views tho. Kept trying to move my head to look around! Will try to make some vids when I get a chance.

Thought some of you guys would get a kick out of this.
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: For the Air Warrior crowd
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2021, 12:35:49 PM »
You might have needed a 3dfx card, a Voodoo. I've got two Voodoo2 cards if interested... Of different brands, though... And if memory serves me I've also got the installation diskettes of Win 3.1 - and a USB diskette reader!
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2021, 12:38:52 PM »
I bet this would run on it:

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2021, 01:51:36 PM »
You might have needed a 3dfx card, a Voodoo. I've got two Voodoo2 cards if interested... Of different brands, though... And if memory serves me I've also got the installation diskettes of Win 3.1 - and a USB diskette reader!
Oh I have a video card or two that'd run it, just not one likely to run on my current machine. Problem is I'm on team Green these days while back then I was team Red. Never heard of somebody having both of those running on the same machine. The good news is I have all the components and an OS that I know will run that game and all the peripheral stuff perfectly sans a case. Just a matter of throwing it all together. All the stuff is IDE too! USB? SATA? What's all that about lol? I prolly have an old IDE HD (in one of those boxes of course) and definitely have a floppy drive that'll work. A whole box of cables and a good psu too.

Next thing would be the lack of ability to update the install. It'd auto update with patches when you logged in the online game but IIRC that was the only way it worked. That is to say, there wasn't like a patch you could just download and install. The site had been dead since Dec 7th 2001 (I think), SOL on that one. So that might keep me in basic mode anyway.

A project for another rainy day. I'll win eventually.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2021, 01:53:52 PM »
Just thought... I don't need a case! Got a cheapie acrylic test case that oughta work for these porpoises! Wheels are clanking.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2021, 10:48:14 AM »
I was just thinking about how to get at some of this stuff without Franken building an old PC and hoping it works. I wonder if I could just install XP on another drive on my current PC, dual boot into that and use that install to extract the files I need? I have a SATA drive laying around I could use. I could then transfer them to the Win10 install.

From what I've read I really need to get new floppy discs then format them using the Win10 install. Now those floppies are in a readable format for a newer OS as the missing descriptor bit will be included in the format. Go back to the XP install and make copies of the old discs using the new discs. I should theoretically now be able to access them in win10. That way I could at least get at my films.

Now I know that any of the 16-bit apps are a total no go on my 64-bit install so I'm SOL there. But at least I could get at some of the files if run on the XP install. I should have just copied my whole install somewhere back in the day!

That sound like a plan that might work?

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline bbosen

• Silver Member
      • AskMisterWizard.com
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2021, 03:26:51 PM »
I cannot remember all of the details but I definitely remember getting one of my old Air Warrior CDs running under LINUX a couple of years ago. I think I was using "DOSBOX" as the key element. The rudder and throttle axes were exchanged until I re-mapped them. The frame rate was very impressive.

:salute

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2021, 11:15:55 AM »
Just an update. A couple of icky days got me going thru the boxes again. I put my old P4 PC back together. It had 4GB of RAM so I loaded up XP Pro to see what happened. It's alive! The good news is I was able to get the game running there and after some tweaking of video settings I have it running in 3D mode. Hehe such as that was back then! I was also able to recover almost all of floppy discs that had the cam files etc on them. Those I couldn't are either demagnetized or simply need 98 to be read. Just a few of them. That's another project.

The cam files all play! Not very stable tho. It seems it doesn't like having a lot of the sounds enabled. I'd get random crashes. Mostly it seemed when people were talking on vox. Replaying them most times tho they'd finish. Turning a lot of sounds off really helped. Was cool seeing all the names from yesteryear scroll by the buffer and hearing the voices. Have a bunch from the scenarios. Ploesti, Cartwheel, BOB2K, K51 off the top of my head.

The bad news is while I was able to install and run both K-AWSM and SAC, I couldn't get them to do anything. They were cool programs to swap out the stock sounds, skins or how the terrain and sky looked with a button click. I think they must be another that has to work with 98.

I have a capture card OTW. The plan is to make some vids of the cam files using the old PC, transferring the display to the modern PC with OBS. Hopefully this little geek project works! If any of you have some of those files you'd like to see again, PM me and I'll try to get them to video. That is... If this works!

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2021, 11:29:07 AM »
PC specs I'm using for this :

Asus P4C800-E Deluxe mobo
Pentium 4@3.4ghz (unlocked, can go higher)
4 GB Muskhin Redline PC4000 RAM
HIS HD4670 AGP 1GB Video
Soundblaster Audigy 2
XP Pro w/unofficial SP4

This basically patches XP to the very last update in one file. I don't plan on ever connecting this PC to the internet.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2021, 03:48:13 PM »
I have DOS 2.1 and all other versions up to 8.1.  The first puter I owned had to be booted by the 3 1/4 DOS Disk.  Had two drives the ole 760 31/4 and the 51/2 soft disk not no hard drive.

Problem is I still have this old crap in two Gym Bags, along with old modems, old video cards and a lot of them.  Anyone remember the old Paradise Cards?

The machine came with 256K of RAM...........I upgraded to 512K.  Now I don't know what kind of vid cards I have........8 in all dating back to the mid 80s. I then started building my own PCs.

I have two Towers sitting around one with a bad PS and one with an ASUS A8V MB and set up for water cooling that I did use.  Water cooling was a pain in the arse.  I also have a brand new ASUS

A8V brand new in the box with all the accoutrements! Drano dam you!  Now I'm trying to think what I can do with all these old parts and 31/4 disks and programs that I've kept all these years.  :rofl
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2021, 04:07:56 PM »
Cool!  :aok

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2021, 04:10:19 PM »
Watching Cartwheel films now. I keep finding an umbrella of bloo planes!

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2021, 04:13:22 PM »
I hope you get it to video, it would be great seeing some of the old "footage" from days gone by.

Good Luck!

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2021, 04:14:06 PM »
Currently winging in Oscars out of Lal with some guy named Brook. Film says frame 4.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2021, 04:18:43 PM »
My Compaq Suitcase is about 37 years old. It has two 5 1/4 floppies and a modem. Still runs.
80th FS "Headhunters"