Author Topic: VXB MCG GunfighterIII Help  (Read 776 times)

Offline noman

• Copper Member
      • http://yahoo.com
VXB MCG GunfighterIII Help
« on: December 28, 2020, 10:54:33 AM »
I got my new stick in this weekend and have started the process of setting it up. I have got it calibrated and started mapping keys but seem to have run into a problem mapping a couple keys.
I mapped the flip up switch as fire-all and the middle bottom hat switch pushed right as Auto Climb and it seems somehow after mapping them they both do both functions? So when I would go to fire the guns the guns would fire but would also start auto climbing. Same with the hat switch. Any Ideas on what I might be doing wrong?
Quote by Delirium:
Frankly, I'd rather be a fluffer at a gay porcupine film company than be a CM.
God bless the CMs for putting up with this community.
Sic Pups        MA
412th FNVG   FSO

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
Re: VXB MCG GunfighterIII Help
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2020, 11:51:21 AM »
I had similar issues setting mine up.  Once I got help from some  folks on this forum (see below) I got it working and I love it.  First make sure you calibrate it carefully according to VKB's instructions:   https://vkbcontrollers.com/?p=7982

Then I simply map the controllers in Aces High.  You need to be consistent between modes and if you use VR and need to set it up in VR separately.  I have yet to dive into VKB's programming, but I understand it is excellent once you get the hang of it.  Once I very carefully and exactly followed VKB's calibration routine my stick became much more stable and it now holds calibration very well.  Good luck and enjoy that great stick!   :joystick:

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2020, 02:15:18 PM »
The flip up trigger mechanism is treated as an axis by the software. That's why it's important to calibrate the stick exactly as is described in the setup guide. One of the steps involves flipping the trigger up, pulling it down, squeezing it completely and letting it go. There are a couple of switches on it that you hear but there's a section in the software that deals with the axis travel of that trigger and activates buttons at whatever points along it that you like. I think there are four in total.

This is not to be confused with the other short trigger behind it. That one is just a straight up two stage trigger.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline noman

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2020, 07:14:36 AM »
Thanks for the help. I was able to figure it out last night. Now if I can figure how how to use the left hat switch as buttons instead of whatever it is set up as now I will be set.
Quote by Delirium:
Sic Pups        MA
412th FNVG   FSO

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2020, 07:28:44 AM »
Thanks for the help. I was able to figure it out last night. Now if I can figure how how to use the left hat switch as buttons instead of whatever it is set up as now I will be set.
The mini stick? That one isn't a hat but you can assign button commands to it a couple of ways. In Aces High the easiest way is in Map Controllers. Select the stick at the top. Look for the axii of the mini stick. I can't remember what they are exactly. Scroll down the list, you'll see a selection for it with areas that will turn green as you operate it. Double click on on the one you want and assign a command. Easy.

You can also do it in the VKB software in the axis to buttons tab. This does basically the same thing but it's a little more involved. Download the manual for it. There's a section for how to do that. That and about a bezillion other things you can do with a button! It's translated from Russian so you might have to read things a couple of times.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2020, 10:35:22 AM »
You may need to push down on the mini stick to change its function. On my SCG I ended up swapping it out with a regular hat switch as I prefer that functionality

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2020, 10:48:01 AM »
You may need to push down on the mini stick to change its function. On my SCG I ended up swapping it out with a regular hat switch as I prefer that functionality
If he's talking about the left side hat (as I understood it), the one with the concave head on it, that one is a straight up mini stick. That one doesn't change function. Not to say you couldn't change it in the software but the problem is there is a limitation on the number of axii windows will allow on a controller at 8 and you're up against that with 7 with this grip. The 8th would be for the VKB rudders if you had them.

The 8-way hat, the upper center one, is the one that has two functions. It's one of my favorite features of the grip. That hat can switch from an 8-way view hat to a two axis controller. Long pressing the center changes modes, a short press re-centers the axii, another long press brings you back to the 8-way hat. I use the axii function to control elevator and aileron trim. Very handy.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline noman

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2020, 11:07:23 AM »
Drano you are correct that is the hat I am talking about. On my CH stick that is where there was a hat switch that I used for comms (Up & Down) left and right were for damage list and something else, so I was trying to re-mapp this stick as close as possible to to my CH.
I have my VKB pedals on there own Orange Box that came with them and the Stick plugged into it's own Black box it came with. When I plugged them both into the same box the config.app didn't read it correctly. Most of my problems started because I did not have the stick seated all the way into the base so it took me 2 hours to figure out why none of the buttons were working until I googled something and got an answer on a BBS somewhere.
As far as the hat switch goes I will find a use for it eventually. Thanks again for all the help.
Quote by Delirium:
Sic Pups        MA
412th FNVG   FSO

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2020, 11:33:25 AM »
Yeah a lot of guys have a problem initially starting up this stick. It's plug-in-play but not really the first time. It is in that windows will see the device on plugging it in but you HAVE TO go through defaulting and calibrating the stick fully as per the guide before you do anything else. Only then will things register right. If you had a blinking red light on the black box there are only two things that cause that AFAIK. One is you don't have the grip seated in the base right. The other is you hadn't done the default/calib step. If you don't, the base doesn't see the grip so as far as it knows you don't have it attached. Which is kinda the same thing.

You'll have to go through the default/calib steps each time you might flash the firmware too, FYI. Reason is the modular nature of this brand. They make a bunch of different grips that will attach to the base. So you have to "tell" the base which one is attached in the firmware. When flashing, be careful to select the right firmware for your combination of grip and base, twisty or not(that would be the 8th axis). There was talk at one time about a universal firmware that would work for them all but that hasn't happened.

Any problems just chime in. I like to think I have it wired by now a few years into mine.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"