Author Topic: Logitech Extreme 3D Pro any good?  (Read 916 times)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
Logitech Extreme 3D Pro any good?
« on: January 07, 2021, 05:54:41 AM »
No way am I paying $140 for a Thrustmaster T16000M (which used to be my go-to stick for recruited new players back when it cost $60 in the long-ago days of March, 2020).

Is the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro decent enough?  Or is it craptastic like the Saitek Aviator and Cyborg, which have horrible feel.

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
Re: Logitech Extreme 3D Pro any good?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2021, 07:11:54 AM »
I used the 3D Pro for several years and had no issues with it.  There was no stick spiking, like I get in my Saitek X-52.
It had a good feel to.
I give it 7.5/10

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Peanut1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2021, 09:01:32 PM »
Great for the price.. however. If you want a good stick in the long haul keep looking

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 03:56:45 AM »
I got a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

At $40, it's currently my pick for best stick for the money.

The Thrustmaster T.16000M is no longer my pick for best stick for the money, as it has only slightly better feel than the 3D yet costs substantially more.

The Logitech 3D is far better than the Saitek Cyborg, Aviator, ST290, etc.

My CH Products Flightstick has a far better feel than either the 3D or the T.16000M, but it is more expensive.  Worth it for me as an AH devotee, but expensive for someone who is just trying out AH.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2021, 07:29:36 AM »
I have CH gear too. The problem with CH is it is outdated. Has virtually no support anymore and is only 8 bit.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2021, 06:00:23 PM »
My CH stick and pedals work fine with AH.  I don't want any software between my stick and AH.

The resolution I have currently is totally fine.  I don't think I would get any benefit or even notice if it were higher.

However, feel of the stick/springs matters a lot to me.  It has a significant impact on my flying precision.

That's where CH Products sticks excel compared to Logitech 3D and Thrustmaster T.16000M.

But for a new guy, who isn't sure if he's going to be in AH for the long haul, or a guy who isn't into AH as much as I am, or doesn't care about such fine points, a Logitech 3D twisty stick is acceptable and cost effective.

Offline Mayhem

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2021, 12:10:46 AM »
Brooke I have 3d Pro and a Saitek St290 Pro set up for left hand use. I only have it for space sims on one of my laptops. I also have a Full CH set up I gave my son and A full Virpil Set up I currently use on Main PC.

The 3d pro will get you by, but that is about it. What I would look at however is some of VKB's low end stuff like the Gladiator NXT GNX Premium at least it's actually worth the $150 USD. All the mainstream stuff from Logitech all the way up to the TM:Warthog is way way overpriced right now the only stuff that doesn't seam to be sold by price gouging scalpers is the High End Boutique stuff from the likes of WinWing, Virpil, VKB, Komodo. VKB at least has some good midrange gear that is realistically priced.

If your still dead set on shopping the low to mid like Saitech TM CH etc I would look at pilot supply stores such as ...

Pilot Shop
https://www.pilotshop.com

Pilot Mall
https://www.pilotmall.com/

And My Pilot Store
https://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/

IF you are really really desperate I can lone you Logitech 3d Pro it would at least be better than wasting money on one when your just going to get something better any way.
"Destination anywhere! So Far Gone, I'm almost There."
The Damned! (Est. 1988) Damned if we do - No fun if we don't!

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2021, 02:59:05 AM »
For me, I have CH Products Flightstick and pedals, which I'm completely happy with.

But from time to time, I get friends set up for AH to fly with me in AH Scenarios, which sometimes includes me buying them joysticks.

That's what the Logitech 3D is for.

I've just been flying around some with the Logitech 3D today.  It seems OK.  Very stiff compared to CH Products, especially in roll, but workable.  Far better than Saitek Aviator and Cyborg level stuff.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2021, 03:37:41 AM »
Welp --

I bought my Logitech 3D from Amazon 1 week ago for $40.

It is now $70.  One week later.

Everything is going insane.

Offline Mayhem

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2021, 05:00:32 AM »
For me, I have CH Products Flightstick and pedals, which I'm completely happy with.

But from time to time, I get friends set up for AH to fly with me in AH Scenarios, which sometimes includes me buying them joysticks.

That's what the Logitech 3D is for.

I've just been flying around some with the Logitech 3D today.  It seems OK.  Very stiff compared to CH Products, especially in roll, but workable.  Far better than Saitek Aviator and Cyborg level stuff.

My bad I miss read your original post I got the impression you needed a stick to tide you over until the market unscrews itself.

The Logitech 3d pro I would have to say are worth no more than $75 mabey $80 max. If you can get them for less than 50 go for it as it is the best of the low end twisty sticks. It's even better than the T.Flight Stick, which I actually had two of but unfortunately I gave away both of them for the same reason your looking for a 3d pro. Hopefully at least one of them will give us a new player.

pilotshop.com sometimes has the 3d pro in for $42 USD but are currently have no stock but I think you can 'pre-order'.

mypilotstore.com has the Thrustmaster T.Flight Stick X Joystick instock for $50 usd.

You know I'm thinking maybe some of the old players should form a group to help new players get started, with some one that's been around for a LONG TIME that is In Tight with and trusted by the community taking the lead.  You know some one we can dump our old gear on and such that we can trust to make sure the gear makes it to the newbs that really need it.

:D

My CH stick and pedals work fine with AH.  I don't want any software between my stick and AH.

The resolution I have currently is totally fine.  I don't think I would get any benefit or even notice if it were higher.

However, feel of the stick/springs matters a lot to me.  It has a significant impact on my flying precision.

That's where CH Products sticks excel compared to Logitech 3D and Thrustmaster T.16000M.

But for a new guy, who isn't sure if he's going to be in AH for the long haul, or a guy who isn't into AH as much as I am, or doesn't care about such fine points, a Logitech 3D twisty stick is acceptable and cost effective.

CH has Deflection in spades. MY Warbrd Base has 22 degrees of deflection, CH which has a shorter stick than my T50 CM2 Stick, yet it still has the same length of travel till I drop an 5cm extension on my Warbrd. I think CH has 24 degrees of deflection, It's also modeled after the f-16 A-10 stick which gives it a really good feel.

Interesting trivia on  "software between my stick and AH"

My old gameport CH gear used an EEPROM so when you programed it with speedkeys it kept it's profile even if you moved it to another computer that does not have the speedkeys software.

The new(er) USB CH gear and Control manager software works the same way but the controller uses RAM not ROM so the Control manager software flashes your controllers like the old gameport gear and speedkeys (CM did it Faster) but since it uses RAM if you unplug it or restart your computer the profile gets lost, This is why the old Control manager software came with CMStart. It would start up with your computer, lunch the manager software software in the background, flash your last used profile back to the controller's ram, and then terminate the manager software. Unfortunately CMstart does not work in win10 to the best of my knowledge. The Control Manager software is a real PITA after XP specially in windows 10 64bit.

When APEM purchased CH they threw gamers under the bus for industrial and commercial customers. They moved manufacturing and assembly to China and Mexico. They stopped selling replacement parts completely, They made absolutely no improvements to their product line, Killed their in house support forum, killed the 'ch hanger' forum, and to add insult to injury they stopped updating and supporting their Control Manager software. You need control manager to program Macros Keybinds and you need to for shift functionality. The Fighterstick, Pro Throttle, and Eclipse Yoke need the control manger for Profile switching functionality as they each support 3 profiles per device.

I gave my old CH gear (Fighter stick, Pro throttle, Pro Pedals) to my Son except my Yoke and Throttle Quadrant. I still have an Extra Fighter stick that had a sticky hat switch (Down Postion would fail to engage) and Pro Pedals that have a broken toe brake data cable (Easy Fix) that I keep around for spare parts. The only reason I don't have an extra throttle is that I got 3 defective ones in a row from amazon that I had to send back  this is why I just gave up on CH products and got Virpil, that and I had the money.

Not sure what type of controller interface the 3d pro and t.flight stick x have but CH gear uses either an 8 bit analog pentameter sensors or an 8 bit USB HID controller and that is really harsh in modern games. I actually noticed a slight stutter when I pulled back on the stick as 8 bit controllers can only report 256 positions threw the entire range of the axis. 16 bits gives you 65536 positions through the axis.

My virpil gear has 32 usb HID controllers and 16 bit magnetic Hall sensors and my god it makes a huge difference for the better.

Getting back to software, I can't for the life of me remember if TARGET flashes to ROM/RAM like speedkeys/control manager or if acts as Intermediary software between the controller and the game like joystick gremlin or both.

Joystick gremlin, which is a free non proprietary universal joystick profile keybindings and macro software package, does act as an intermediary between your hardware and game.

I don't think I have ever used software with my Logitech or Saitek twisty sticks, but I don't think they really need it.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 05:20:42 AM by Mayhem »
"Destination anywhere! So Far Gone, I'm almost There."
The Damned! (Est. 1988) Damned if we do - No fun if we don't!

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2021, 10:53:21 AM »
I'm still using my CH pro throttle USB until hopefully VKB comes out with the throttle they've been talking about for a couple of years now. It should be out in maybe...... Two weeks! You know the drill!

Anyway, I'm still using the control manager to set it up. Admittedly, it WAS a PITA getting it to run in win10/64 but once I got it going its fine. As Mayhem said, it used to be you could put jstart in your start folder and it'd run at startup and reset the last profile for your CH gear. Jstart will run in win10 but it doesn't seem to do a thing. You'll have to go in and reset your profile in control manager before flying. Which is OK with me as I'll tend to forget which sim I was in last and have to switch it anyway. I had to do that taking off in a FSO frame a month back! Doh! I'm only still using it so I can add some macro commands and make use of the multiple modes available on the gear. It's really not that big of a deal. It's really simple software to use.

As big of a complicated software the VKB gear uses (it is), at least once the profile is set it sticks through unplugging or restarting.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2021, 01:56:09 AM »
Amazon back to $40 on the Logitech 3D.