Author Topic: AMD Mobo questions  (Read 2109 times)

Offline Mayhem

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.damned.org
Re: AMD Mobo questions
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2021, 07:47:57 PM »
Tell me about it! I purposely didn't buy a video card in March knowing the new ones would be coming out in October and I'd just figure that out then. Then that launch happened! Maybe I'll be able to get a 4000 series in a couple of years? Lol

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I made a post on how I got my 3080 card. I used EVGA's Stock notification and I think a few companies are allowing pre-orders just not sure how reputable they are, I listed one of them.
"Destination anywhere! So Far Gone, I'm almost There."
The Damned! (Est. 1988) Damned if we do - No fun if we don't!
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2021, 09:26:50 AM »
I saw that Mayhem. Now a new throttle that will be more reasonably priced is coming closer to a reality so my focus is there. There's really a greater need for that. Will get all the puzzle pieces eventually. The 2060 crushes AH totally and IL2 pretty well so it works for me at least.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2021, 11:38:06 AM »
After consideration, I've decided to stay with Intel for my CPU upgrade. Best Buy has a i7-1700K on sale for $344...more money for the chip but higher frequency on base & boost ends. The new mobo I'm using is a Gigabyte Z490 Vision G. A Noctua NHu12S fan cooler and 2x16 Ripjaw DDR4 3200 CL16 ram sticks complete the rebuild.

Is it required or advisable to do a clean install of Win10? If so, it may be a problem as I upgraded from W7 a couple years ago and have since lost the W7 product key. If the answer to the former question is yes, it it drivers that require the reinstall? Any way around that? I'm $140 over budget now and would be bummed to have to buy another copy of Win10.

TIA :salute

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2021, 12:02:06 PM »
After consideration, I've decided to stay with Intel for my CPU upgrade. Best Buy has a i7-1700K on sale for $344...more money for the chip but higher frequency on base & boost ends. The new mobo I'm using is a Gigabyte Z490 Vision G. A Noctua NHu12S fan cooler and 2x16 Ripjaw DDR4 3200 CL16 ram sticks complete the rebuild.

Is it required or advisable to do a clean install of Win10? If so, it may be a problem as I upgraded from W7 a couple years ago and have since lost the W7 product key. If the answer to the former question is yes, it it drivers that require the reinstall? Any way around that? I'm $140 over budget now and would be bummed to have to buy another copy of Win10.

TIA :salute

If you are signed into Microsoft, when you install win 10 in the new machine... just sign on to microsoft and it is activated. When I built my new machine I had another win 7 key and just used that as my old machine is now a server and still running.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2021, 07:23:39 AM »
And if you haven't been signed into Microsoft, there's plenty of neat little programs that will tell you the key. https://www.techradar.com/best/the-best-windows-10-product-key-finder gives some options. I've been using Belarc but it requires installing. So I gave the last on the list, FreePCaudit, a try and it really is fast! https://www.misutilities.com/free-pc-audit/index.html

« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 07:26:33 AM by Bizman »
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2021, 09:14:21 AM »
Bizman for the win! ....again ;-)