Author Topic: 183rd Shinbu Tai Ki-84  (Read 1919 times)

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
183rd Shinbu Tai Ki-84
« on: January 13, 2021, 03:36:55 AM »
Thanks to Lyric1 for finding me the info for this skin.

This Ki-84 was part of the 183rd Shinbu Tai, one of many Kamikaze units created to attack the US carrier groups attacking Japan in 1945.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Re: 183rd Shinbu Tai Ki-84
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 08:18:23 AM »
Beautiful.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
325th VFG - "The Checkertails"
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 08:43:48 AM »
Absolutely amazing work. 

Your attention to detail is incredible, love the weathering and the Japanese characters. Glad you are creating positive contributions to the game and I sincerely appreciate your hard work!
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 09:27:29 AM »
Looks great Greebo, but I think the lightning bolt should be yellow and not red. I've seen profiles with both, but I remember seeing an actual photo of this plane and the bolt was a light color. I'll try to find it.

FYI, this scheme was the one I completed the day before losing my hard drive. I remember making the bolt yellow in my version.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2021, 10:05:18 AM »
I gave some consideration to making the lightning bolt yellow but in the B&W photo of this plane it is about the same shade of grey as the red Hinomaru circles. I interpreted this as both of these being an old faded red, i.e. an old aircraft transferred in and then given a new tail squadron marking in a darker un-faded red. The photo also shows the yellow on the leading edge of the wing as a lighter shade of grey than the bolt although to be fair this could be down to lighting angles.

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2021, 10:11:20 AM »

So the difference is not so cut-and-dry, as I originally thought.

The bolt looks similar to the red in the Hinomaru but that may because of highlights caused by curvature of the fuselage. But if you compare the tail marking to the bolt, the tail marking is darker than the camouflage color and the bolt is lighter. This is best illustrated by looking at the forward tip of the bolt on the cowl, where there are no highlights to shift the color. This led me to believe that the bolt is yellow.

The new paint theory for the tail marking is certainly plausible.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 10:16:01 AM by Devil 505 »
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2021, 11:21:48 AM »
 :aok

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2021, 11:57:41 AM »
How did you draw the openings aft of the cowling?  They look like removed access panels.    How common was removal?  I have seen photos with them covered, too.   Just curious.   The effect is really good.
”KILLER V”

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2021, 02:17:17 AM »
The openings behind the cowl were most likely cooling holes designed to reduce temperatures behind the engine and every wartime photo of a Ki-84 I have shows them on both sides of the fuselage. The only aircraft that I have seen that has the holes covered is in a museum, my guess is the covers were added by museum staff who assumed they had been previously looted off the aircraft.

I painted the holes in black on the diffuse map and on the topmost layer, above all the weathering etc. They are black on the specular, power and environment maps too, so the holes reflect no light at all. On the normal map they are a darker grey than the surrounding metal to get a sunken effect, so for instance with sunlight shining from above subtle highlights are generated on the lower lips of the holes.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2021, 09:19:16 AM »
Ah, very good.   Thanks for the info.  I will have to go look at some photos again to figure out what I saw.   Maybe a prototype?  The effect is excellent.
”KILLER V”

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2021, 11:51:49 AM »
So here's why I may have been confused.    The surviving example appears to have had covers at some point (it also appears to NOT have had them at one point as well).  Why or when they were installed is anyone's guess.   When the Planes of Fame restored it to flying condition the covers were retained and remain to this day.

https://captured-wings.wikia.org/wiki/C/n_1446

« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 11:56:38 AM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2021, 02:35:16 PM »
Greebo, I really like the work you do on the Japanese planes. They are an often overlooked subject.

:salute
Sik
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2021, 05:17:16 PM »
The parasitic drag of having those access panels open might be why the ki84 falls apart at such low speeds :)
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2021, 07:15:32 PM »
The parasitic drag of having those access panels open might be why the ki84 falls apart at such low speeds :)

Who let you out   :D
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2021, 08:12:15 AM »
I just wandered by to check the skin forum and saw a gorgeous new set of p38 3d models and was perusing the fantastic artwork being shared by the indefatigable master Greebo and the up and coming talented Oboe.

Well done all.

I was going to say something cocky like how flattered you should be that I a random passerby finds your efforts worth viewing all these years after I was tarred and feathered and run out of AH but I am an ancient fossil that’s too old to stir the pot for sheets n giggles anymore.

However I thought it was worth mentioning that the thought occurred to me just to assuage any doubts about my continued persistence in being a self righteous “mercurial as a compass needle” egotistical pompous arse.

Fester was my in game name until September 2013